Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'll be following your Ampera experiences with interest Paul alongside your Nissan Leaf. I'll be interested to see how you use each car for which type of journey.

Grant

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grant. I will try to give an insight to when we choose one over the other but as most of our days we do less than 20 miles we will be sticking to Sally using the Leaf and me using the Ampera. Only if there is an imperative to use one over the other will that change.

Thanks for following :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you Paul for the update on your trip to Ambleside and the fuel usage, on what would be a typical holiday, rather than a 40 to 50 mile round trip per day on EV mode. Pleased with the petrol consumption you managed to get. If you use it mainly on EV for a few days the MPG should rise dramatically.
As for myself, the battery is taking on 45 miles expected EV mode, it was, 3 weeks ago, 38 to 39 miles, the battery seems to be learning to take on more charge. With the regen, would expect to get 50 miles on EV but have not checked this out. The expected life time MPG has now risen to 250+ MPG, now the same as the actual to date MPG of 250+ MPG but I have not been on holiday yet and have not used it on petrol very much.
As a matter of interest, saw a readout of an American Volt on the internet showing 350 miles MPG but my Ampera only seems to go up to 250+ MPG, would be interesting to know how many miles the + bit is. Maybe the software in the UK is different to America.
Was in Brighton today and saw a white Ampera on charge parked near the pier, the first one I have seen on the road other than mine.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Paul many of us here are new to EV's so haven't experienced public charging facilities yet, can you tell us a little about ecotricity and your experiences with any other providers?

I understand that the Ecotricity Scheme is free (even for non customers for first year) So I have been tempted to sign up. Whether I pay up for year two will depend on how many times I use the facilities (I suspect I may only use them 5-6 times a year so probably wouldn't bother to pay but we shall see...)

I am not happy about the 'pay for' regional schemes idea I think its the stupidest thing... I only need public charging when I'm away from home, ie out of my region... so I'd need to join all regions except where I live, So tbh I'd rather use petrol!

P.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parax, your question about public charging is one that many people will ask... I will answer it in a separate post so it is obvious for everyone.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am on the brink of ordering and Ampera to replace my 140,000 mile BMW 3.0 d. I have had one dry run and really like the car as a car but liked it even more as an EV. I will be using the car for business and the car has significant tax benefits. I have canvassed all of my clients and they have agreed to allow me to charge the battery when visiting them. The car is creating a lot of interest and being in the business of designing sustainable and low energy buildings makes this car ideal for my business image!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It sounds to me like the Ampera might be a great car for you. You will probably end up driving mostly on battery then and your overall mph might be rediculously low.

I have done this long trip to the Lake District and so my Lifetime mpg right now is much higher than I expect and over time, after me using it on battery only for a few months I expect that number to go much higher (lower consumption). I wouldn't be surprised if myine goes 150mpg or even 200mpg.

Let us know your thoughts :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts