Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this does go on a bit.
I am beginning to hate the Hyundai brand and this car, in fact I wish I had never seen one never mind purchased one, It is just a joke what you are told by imbeciles who are bleeding useless and are only good for plugging in USB sticks for updates and recalls which they often do wrong as well.

So I took my car to the dealers yesterday for the fault as described in another thread. lack of aux battery in BlueLink coinciding with a relay? clicking in an out noise around dongle area of car and charge speed going up and down like a yo yo with increased charging times.

The technician said that he could hear the relay? noise as described and drove car in work shop, about an hour later he drove it out and said he would contact tech support. I thought he meant by phone, but no they are not allowed to phone and have to make contact via email. What a carry on. I was told that I might as well go home because it might be a two day job.
I phoned late afternoon for progress and was told the technician had scanned the car with no fault found and on the advice of tech support sat in other konas on the forecourt and apparently they all made the same noise from the same area, well in 10 months and over 6000 miles mine never had up to a week ago made this noise, also they said when on charge the car was normal. On charge my arse the car was on 60% when I left it and it was still on 60% when I collected it, also the car was parked up when I left and was still in the same place when I collected it and the dash cam download showed me that the car had sat there all the time and went nowhere near a charger.

I was seething as I left, but as I drove I thought the relay? clicking noise had gone and sure enough it has and I have got the aux battery back in BlueLink. Was it a connected fault?
What has caused this to remedy itself? or did scanning the car, cause something to reset even though he said it did not show a fault.
I have informed Hyundai customer service and have told them I will be in touch again about next few home and public charging sessions. On return to home I charged car on my pod point charger from 53% to 90% 29.7 kWh in 4hrs 27 minutes which is a rate of 6.6kWh.
By the way because my car doesn't make the relay noise any more, does that mean it's faulty because other konas do.;)
From now on I might charge the car up to 100% all the time and leave it plugged in. That might get rid of the car and the heart ache it is causing.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sadly this is something i hear quite often - not just about Hyundai either - There's a horror story here in Norway about this guy who bought a brand new Tesla (dont remember the model), He had some LOUD noises coming out of the car while driving, even recorded it and shared on social media and when he brought it to the dealership for repair they said it was "within Tesla's acceptable parameters" this is after he took it to an independant , I'm talking about some fucked up shit like banging noises while going 90, he was so pissed he tried to sell the car but who would buy it?
You bring the car to the dealership while still on warranty and everything is normal - you can have a wheel falling off and they would say "all other cars make that noise its normal"
the second the warranty is over every little squeak is a 10000 pound repair and is so urgent the car will literally explode if you drive it another mile.
And unless you have a 2021 car you wont get rid of it by charging it to 100% because they are going to replace your battery pack lol
But might i suggest trying to sell it? You could make a point of telling a buyer that the battery is about to be replaced and maybe get a better price for it? If not maybe wait until the battery gets replaced and then sell it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologise for the rant in my opening post, I actually love everything about the car except the Nexen tyres which strangely enough behaved very well in the winter.
I read a thread on here about a fortnight ago regarding Tesla reducing an agreed PX price for a Kona trade in by about £7000 but did not have the reason for reduction. I can't find it now. But now I might know the reason.
Just out of interest I put my car details in webuyanycar with a made up email address. This is for my Kona premium se should have picked up new January 2020 but because of covid19 finally registered June 2020. £42000 list price. Today's PX value with 6,000 miles on the clock £27000. So I assume because my car is one of the possible fire risks the value has gone through the floor and that Tesla reduced their agreed PX price by £7000 because news was just breaking about the same problem.

Perhaps an owner of a Kona built after the cut off point with a few thousand on the clock could do the same on webuyanycar and see if their valuation is as expected or a lot less.

I firmly believe that to satisfy Kona customers with the battery problem, Hyundai have a mountain to climb but they must step up to the plate to resolve this issue and compensate owners for such a fall in value.
Or if full battery replacement takes place then shout out at all levels that the cars are once again fit for purpose and are equal in quality and value to after cut off point cars.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Perhaps an owner of a Kona built after the cut off point with a few thousand on the clock could do the same on webuyanycar and see if their valuation is as expected or a lot less.
Not what you asked but as the owner of an early September, 2018 Kona Electric with 7,000 miles, I seem to remember getting a valuation from webuyanycar of £27,000 a couple of months ago.

A check Online today with Hyundai UK shows the Huddersfield Dealer as having a November 2019 Model with 2,900 miles, priced at £34,995! This of course includes a hefty mark up and room to negotiate.

Furthermore, a search on Autotrader does not (yet) seem to support your theory. If prices of the effected vehicles are holding up, I would not expect newer Cars to devalue by a significant amount, notwithstanding the bad publicity.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Having sold my mid-2019 recently and watching the valuation on Auto Trader before and since, there has just been a steady decline of a few hundred - nothing drastic. WBAC gave me slightly more than the AT private sale price at the time. That is currently about £25.3k with the px price a couple of k less. £27 k px sounds about right for a year younger.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies, I would not sell it anyway, but the valuation is a shock to the system.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have now had a look on Autotrader, perhaps I should have looked earlier :) I totally agree with your comments. I will just have to take a chill pill and see what Hyundai come up with, hopefully new batteries which will make it a new car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Remember that a dealer would never pay you the price the car is actually worth since there is no profit in it for them - so your car could easily by worth quite a lot more than the 27k eval you got.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You might be interested to know that in another on-line forum, the Kona > Tesla > Kona owner who often appears in this forum, wrote not long ago:

"Luckily we were pointed to a dealership further away that is very EV focused, the Dealer Principle is a Kona driver and active on the EV Forums, this has made life a lot easier.
Its a real shame that to find any sort of service from a car brand you have to hunt around for that odd good dealership buried in a pile of sharks."

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I might know who you mean and at I am guessing the dealer is in Southport. Perhaps you or the Kona owner can confirm. I would willingly drive to Southport on his recommendation it is only 96 miles away. Well worth the time and effort to get there for genuine honest knowledge and service.
OK Kona owner confirm dealership and leave a referral code ;) and that's where the car will go when it need's to.

·
Registered
394 Posts
........... but the valuation is a shock to the system.
There is an interesting Hyundai Europe News Release Online, dated 23rd April, 2020 about predicted Residual Values for what was then the slightly updated version of the Kona Electric. Figures allegedly from CAP and one other independent source.

These should be Cars produced after the new, non inflammable Batteries were introduced to the Production Line.

I’m not clever enough to provide a link but Google....Recent Upgrades Boost Kona Electric Residual Value Forecasts....if interested.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I apologise for the rant in my opening post, I actually love everything about the car except the Nexen tyres which strangely enough behaved very well in the winter.
I read a thread on here about a fortnight ago regarding Tesla reducing an agreed PX price for a Kona trade in by about £7000 but did not have the reason for reduction. I can't find it now. But now I might know the reason.
Just out of interest I put my car details in webuyanycar with a made up email address. This is for my Kona premium se should have picked up new January 2020 but because of covid19 finally registered June 2020. £42000 list price. Today's PX value with 6,000 miles on the clock £27000. So I assume because my car is one of the possible fire risks the value has gone through the floor and that Tesla reduced their agreed PX price by £7000 because news was just breaking about the same problem.

I firmly believe that to satisfy Kona customers with the battery problem, Hyundai have a mountain to climb but they must step up to the plate to resolve this issue and compensate owners for such a fall in value.
Or if full battery replacement takes place then shout out at all levels that the cars are once again fit for purpose and are equal in quality and value to after cut off point cars.
The list price is slightly irrelevant. Firstly because that’s before the UK Government grant and secondly because it doesn’t allow for any discount negotiated at the point of purchase. Currently on CarWow you can get a brand new Kona 64kWh Ultimate (the new name for Premium SE) for £40,375 list plus £875 for the heat pump plus £565 for metallic paint so the total is near as darn it your £42,000. And then the actual offers for a car start at £35,000. So your £27,000 offer for a 9-month old car with 6000 miles on the clock actually looks pretty reasonable.

And obviously that new car is the facelift with the better headlamps, slightly better range and the all-digital dashboard. So you can see why the Pre-facelifts are not worth quite so much anymore.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,514 Posts
I think I might know who you mean and at I am guessing the dealer is in Southport. Perhaps you or the Kona owner can confirm. I would willingly drive to Southport on his recommendation it is only 96 miles away. Well worth the time and effort to get there for genuine honest knowledge and service.
OK Kona owner confirm dealership and leave a referral code ;) and that's where the car will go when it need's to.
You need to be looking at using DSG Morecombe. I would recommend them to any Kona/Zoe owners.. EV Focused and helpful. We do the 120 Mile each way trip with our cars rather than risk them to the local ijiots.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guessed right person, but wrong location. Thank you stageshoot. 124 miles for me but I don't have a problem with that. When I owned Jaguar XF's I took them to Doncaster 115 miles for anything required.
It was an expensive round trip, so the Kona at one penny a mile is nothing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Anyone living around Worcester, I can recommend Motorline where I got both my Ioniq and then Kona from. Having experienced the local dealership, I think I might make the 140 mile round trip to them next time. The salesman Richard, actually drives an Ioniq himself (maybe a Kona now), and was very knowledgable and enthusiastic about EV's.

·
Registered
Kia EV6 RWD
2,514 Posts
Guessed right person, but wrong location. Thank you stageshoot. 124 miles for me but I don't have a problem with that. When I owned Jaguar XF's I took them to Doncaster 115 miles for anything required.
It was an expensive round trip, so the Kona at one penny a mile is nothing.
if you have any issues. @Badger in Black in the General Manager there and is around on here and the Facebook groups to help

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone living around Worcester, I can recommend Motorline where I got both my Ioniq and then Kona from. Having experienced the local dealership, I think I might make the 140 mile round trip to them next time. The salesman Richard, actually drives an Ioniq himself (maybe a Kona now), and was very knowledgable and enthusiastic about EV's.
In 2016 I purchased two new Hyundai i10's for my daughters. The youngest took her car to Worcester for first service but said never again and takes it elsewhere now. My eldest has always taken hers to Shrewsbury and she always will, she cannot fault them. But when I went to Shrewsbury I vowed never again, but of course mine is a bev not a fossil. I suppose it's different strokes for different folks..

·
Registered
Kona 2020 Premium SE 64kW
58 Posts
I've been dealing with Motorline Hereford (same group) and couldn't fault the service. All updates carried out without problems, the car collected from home and returned cleaned outside and in. Thoroughly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.