Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all.

I’ve just looked outside and have noticed the blue charging light is flashing on the dash. I’m not plugged in charging though?

I just read on a webpage someone mentioned charging of the 12v? But in the app the “others” section that has the 12v listed says “ok” and is highlighted.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,126 Posts
It’s okay. I think the flashing light does mean it is charging. Does the app ever say it’s charging? I doubt it. The battery is either okay or not okay, or whatever description Kia use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The app will usually say it’s charging if plugged in yes. But in this scenario it’s just flashing and not plugged in at all and no indication of charging in the app which I would expect. But I don’t know why it’s flashing.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,597 Posts
You already correctly identified it’s the 12v charge routine. Somewhere in the manual it tells you what the different lights flashing means.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input both and for confirming this.

This is my first electric car, so may I ask, does the 12v charge from the big battery just when I feels it needs to in order to never run flat?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Evening all.

I’ve just looked outside and have noticed the blue charging light is flashing on the dash. I’m not plugged in charging though?

I just read on a webpage someone mentioned charging of the 12v? But in the app the “others” section that has the 12v listed says “ok” and is highlighted.

Thanks
What model year?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks for the input both and for confirming this.

This is my first electric car, so may I ask, does the 12v charge from the big battery just when I feels it needs to in order to never run flat?

Thanks
Good question from @freddym

The 12v battery is charged when the car is running. There’s a dc-dc converter to power the car’s 12v systems and charge the battery. This is the case with all EVs

assuming it’s the recent/current version, there’s a periodic charge routine that runs regardless of the battery state. It’s a timed thing. I forget the timings, it’s something like 40 mins every 48 hours, but I could be making that up. This is designed to prevent the 12v battery ever getting low.

There’s always some drain on the 12v, especially on the latest Soul/Niro/Kona with the cellular comms.

There we’re lots of problems early on with 12V batteries failing, which causes weird computer failures and random errors or the car being unable to start up because there’s insufficient 12v to start up the systems. Some of this was likely down to batteries being deep discharged and damaged during shipping from South Korea, but someone who does lots of short runs might have problems too. The dc-dc converter likely doesn’t provide the charge an alternator does. This timed solution seems to resolve the problems.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,126 Posts
This explains it quite well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good question from @freddym

The 12v battery is charged when the car is running. There’s a dc-dc converter to power the car’s 12v systems and charge the battery. This is the case with all EVs

assuming it’s the recent/current version, there’s a periodic charge routine that runs regardless of the battery state. It’s a timed thing. I forget the timings, it’s something like 40 mins every 48 hours, but I could be making that up. This is designed to prevent the 12v battery ever getting low.

There’s always some drain on the 12v, especially on the latest Soul/Niro/Kona with the cellular comms.

There we’re lots of problems early on with 12V batteries failing, which causes weird computer failures and random errors or the car being unable to start up because there’s insufficient 12v to start up the systems. Some of this was likely down to batteries being deep discharged and damaged during shipping from South Korea, but someone who does lots of short runs might have problems too. The dc-dc converter likely doesn’t provide the charge an alternator does. This timed solution seems to resolve the problems.
Ah ok so perhaps it’s just the routine and I’ve never seen it do it before when parked up.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Ah ok so perhaps it’s just the routine and I’ve never seen it do it before when parked up.
Yep... I had exactly the same thing... went out to the bin, noticed a flashing green light when the car wasn't plugged in. Panicked there was a problem. Pure chance I spotted it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep... I had exactly the same thing... went out to the bin, noticed a flashing green light when the car wasn't plugged in. Panicked there was a problem. Pure chance I spotted it.
Interesting that yours is green. Mine was definitely blue.

·
Registered
Nissan E-NV200 Tekna Panel Van, 24kWh Battery, Kia Soul EV 27 kWh, BMW i3 94ah REX
139 Posts
Was the car being pre-heated at the time? If the heating is on and the car is locked one light flashes IIRC...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Was the car being pre-heated at the time? If the heating is on and the car is locked one light flashes IIRC...
Nope no pre-heating, not plugged in. Just parked up. 200 miles on the charge. No app instructions or schedules set.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yep, it's the same light that flashes.
By this I mean the same light flashing, right hand end as looking from the front of the car, means either pre-conditioning (heating or cooling) or the 12v charge cycle running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Evening all.

Thanks
As others have noted it is the "big battery" charging the 12V battery. I bought a battery monitor and if the car was idle for a day or more, each day the 12V was tweaked by a charge from the big battery.

Every time to you open a door, etc a tiny amount of the 12V battery is used. Even using UVO to check things, uses the 12V so it is necessary to give it a boost - it does not boost for very long.

There is an option to turn on Aux Battery Saver + on my car (2020 Soul 64) and if the blue light is showing yours must be on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts