Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona, Halfords bike
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing an overnight scheduled charge, Bluelink showed a yellow caution warning on the 12v battery.

After refreshing Bluelink it went back to normal.

My faglighter volemeter shows 12.4v when not driving , and 14.7 ish when driving.

So does anyone know what this might mean? Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've been watching the 12V battery when it pinged my phone while it was in for repairs. (Got it back this afternoon) They phoned me a couple of weeks ago to ask for the granny charger as the car wouldn't start. I told them it was the 12V battery which was knackered because they'd left the tailgate open and the doors unlocked. It then went through a series of green normal, amber caution and red warning before going back to green normal. I think they got the message that the doors needed to be closed and locked when not being worked on. (I even lockd it remotely once. I bet that made them jump) :)

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
I've been watching the 12V battery when it pinged my phone while it was in for repairs. (Got it back this afternoon) They phoned me a couple of weeks ago to ask for the granny charger as the car wouldn't start. I told them it was the 12V battery which was knackered because they'd left the tailgate open and the doors unlocked. It then went through a series of green normal, amber caution and red warning before going back to green normal. I think they got the message that the doors needed to be closed and locked when not being worked on. (I even lockd it remotely once. I bet that made them jump) :)
Thats what did for my 12v battery. The 12v battery failed 30 minutes after the 20k service. The garage had failed to close the boot properly.

·
Registered
Kona 64
737 Posts
While doing an overnight scheduled charge, Bluelink showed a yellow caution warning on the 12v battery.

After refreshing Bluelink it went back to normal.

My faglighter volemeter shows 12.4v when not driving , and 14.7 ish when driving.

So does anyone know what this might mean? Thanks
Those voltages are the same as I get with my faglighter voltmeter on my new 12v battery. I only got the voltmeter after the original battery failed, so no idea what the readings might have been with the original battery. As you are getting 12.4v on start up I would not worry.

·
Registered
EU base model with heat pump Sept '18
601 Posts
I just had several updates applied including the latest BMS and a 2 year service (mainly comprising the brake fluid change) and this was the result, nearly 1 volt drop in my aux battery which I believed to be in excellent condition prior. It's clear that it does get a drubbing. If it had been weak before I would imagine it could be pushed too far.
However they were knowledgeable enough to put it on a DCFC immediately afterwards and you can see at 11:50 - 12:02 that the LDC was initially in current limiting mode while trying to recover the aux battery charge.

Attachments

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona, Halfords bike
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got the caution warning again on Bluelink. I think in this case it seems explainable due to dashcam, but maybe someone can confirm whether this is to be expected given the circumstances:

Not using the car much during lockdown, but this leads up to the warning:

Short trip last weekend (5miles) then nothing until short trip on wednesday (5 miles) but in this case we were in and out of the car at the carpark over about half an hour. Given that we had the dashcam in parking mode it would have been triggered over and over for its 5 minutes parking recording.

I only noticed the caution this morning (Saturday), didn't appear to have got a notification. The plugin voltmeter shows voltage of 11.7 - 11.8 which doesn't seem too bad, and given it was cold on wednesday driving home from the carpark I guess the 12v battery may not have charged much while being used for heater.

Does this make sense? Maybe the Bluelink caution light triggers at anything <12volt.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I just got the caution warning again on Bluelink. I think in this case it seems explainable due to dashcam, but maybe someone can confirm whether this is to be expected given the circumstances:

Not using the car much during lockdown, but this leads up to the warning:

Short trip last weekend (5miles) then nothing until short trip on wednesday (5 miles) but in this case we were in and out of the car at the carpark over about half an hour. Given that we had the dashcam in parking mode it would have been triggered over and over for its 5 minutes parking recording.

I only noticed the caution this morning (Saturday), didn't appear to have got a notification. The plugin voltmeter shows voltage of 11.7 - 11.8 which doesn't seem too bad, and given it was cold on wednesday driving home from the carpark I guess the 12v battery may not have charged much while being used for heater.

Does this make sense? Maybe the Bluelink caution light triggers at anything <12volt.

Thanks
There is an opinion that anything drawing even just a low current from the 12v battery wakes up the car electronics for some length of time, and after a number of these occasions, the cumulative 12v discharge is not adequately compensated by the 'car-off' mode 12 v charging sessions from the HV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.