Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you upgrade your Galaxy S II or Galaxy Note to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) you will lose the ability to connect to the Ampera using SIM Access Profile (SAP)! It isn't clear why Samsung have removed the SAP support or if it will return in a later upgrade.

The good news is that you can buy a SAP software add-on and (for the S II and Note) you do not have to 'root' the phone, which is important if it is under warranty. For details please see this page - http://forum.android-rsap.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=390 (installation is fairly simple).

I have done this and I can report that it works better than the original Samsung version - it connects quicker and is more reliable :)
[Installing this software is at your risk!]

For details about why SAP is better than HF (Hands Free) mode, please see my other post viewtopic.php?f=12&t=71

Finally, please note that if you have upgraded to ICS you CAN connect these phones using the HF (Hands Free) so please don't reply saying "mine works" - if it does, you are using HF mode ;-)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Re: Bluetooth SAP - Galaxy S II & Note with Android 4.0 (ICS

I have a Galaxy Note. It worked in HF mode prior to me upgrading to ICS but now I am on Android 4 (ICS) I cannot connect at all and I have had to give up using my phone in the car whilst moving.

It tries to pair but then the pairing fails.

I have tried many things including restarting car, phone, car & phone, removing pairing from both then rebooting... nothing works.

I am not the only one. I have read on the Samsung forums that many people are having trouble with ICS and Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I didn't test HF mode but am very surprised it doesn't work - it is a very simple profile. I only upgraded my Note to ICS once I knew that r-SAP could be installed without root access. I am very pleased with the solution.

I forgot to include that there is a trial version of the software available - it will connect for 10 minutes. This allows you to try it before paying the £7 or so for the full version.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

Crickey! £7 is a lot for any Android app especially one as simple as this is bound to be.

I think I will just have to accept that my phone cannot now be used with the Ampera until the ICS Bluetooth issues are fixed :(

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I was quite happy to pay £7 to get my phone working correctly - compared to what I paid for the car I didn't feel it was a problem. There isn't anyone competing with a lower cost version - as a programmer perhaps you should ;-)

I had a quick look in the forums and most issues with ICS appear to be music streaming - most people have HF working. Did you try a factory reset of the phone?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

I haven't tried factory reset as I have set up LOADS of apps and didn't want to have to set them all up again. You are right though... I should :(

I am not an app type of programmer... wish I was... I might actually earn a bit of money for a change! :cry:

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Yeah, if you had developed Angry Birds you would have already ordered that Tesla Model S Premium Performance ;-)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

[Dislaimer: Post contains rantings]
I'm a bit pissed off that so many phones choose not to support rSAP.. I have a Galaxy Nexus which works ok in HF but I'd much prefer to save battery and use rSAP. However to install an rSAP app I'd have to Root the phone (a pain in the neck since it wipes all the user data, but only a one off), and then every time an update was available for the phone I'd have to deinstall rSAP so the system files passed the integrity check before the update can work..(nexus only issue) This is pretty much where it becomes a deal breaker, I just haven't got the time to spend hours messing around with system files for every update...
Basically if I'm paying for an app I want minimum fuss and no future hassles!! that's why I am choosing not to bother with rSAP, until it becomes hassle free, then they can have some of my money.

Unfortunately it's all very symptomatic of the crooked business model that phone producers are using to force upgrades, every new model has headline new features but also stealthy hidden removals. every time you get a new phone you loose some feature you had previously. it seems that at present rSAP which has been widely supported for years (long enough for most car companies to start using it!) is now a casualty of the upgrade war... even though its a software only component... I really wish that phone companies would learn that if they produce a single does it all phone (ie the apple business model - but without the golden handcuffs and nannying that is the apple way.) they would get much better customer loyalty(like apple has), and would still get enough new features and tech improvements to keep selling new upgrades(like apple does!).

grrr..
rant over, for now.

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I am 100% with you on the lack of SAP support and the madness that the networks bring to the phone model (my Note is SIM free).

I can also feel your pain regarding root access and system updates. My worry is that the back door on the Note will be locked on future updates which will make installing rSAP a whole lot harder. As the Samsung specs for the Note list SAP profile I guess they may be forced into including it in a later update...

I had a Samsung Omnia 7 and quite like Windows Phone 7.5 but the lack of SAP was one of the reasons I ditched it for the Galaxy Note (not supporting higher resolutions was the other).

As a leading proponent of SAP I was staggered that Nokia released a number of 'top end' phones recently that don't support it - Nokia N9, Lumia range etc. I hope and pray that Nokia will influence Microsoft to include SAP in the Windows Phone 8 release, but haven't seen anything to encourage me. Having one platform with ubiquitos SAP might then encourage the others to follow suit...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts

OK, did a full reboot, not factory reset... thought I'd do it in stages ;)

That seems to have fixed it. What I didn't know was that the "restart phone" option wasn't a full reboot. I had used the "restart" option several times thinking I was rebooting the phone... clearly it wasn't. I held in the power button for 15 secs and it then did a full reboot and HF is now working again.

Thought I'd also try SAP but no luck but at least HF is working and I have a phonebook.

Now, just got to get to grips with voice dialing ;)

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
11,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Re voice dialing, I've found that using single word nick-names works better for voice dialing. For example, CALL LION rather than CALL PAUL JONES - I know a few Pauls!

·
Registered
1,777 Posts

Paul Churchley said:
Now, just got to get to grips with voice dialing ;)
Don't make the mistake of loading all your phone numbers into the sat-nav address book.. it seems to be pointless...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts