Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just downloaded trevor larkum's range predictor app from play store and it got me wondering why people blur their number plates in photos ?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
To stop thieves, ram raiders etc being able to easily clone a car by using the number plate for a stolen/getaway car
LOL! All they need to do is look at any car on the road or in a car park!!!!!

Sorry... I don't see that one at all. What am I missing here?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I don't think we've reached the 'tipping point' yet where the average criminal's choice of wheels would be a Zoe!

A car's index is linked to a name and address, so I can understand why people are protective of their identity. My name and address is available from the electoral roll but I still tear it off all mail I receive and shred it before recycling the envelopes/letter.

I know of people with high value road bikes which have been stolen as a result of the owners posting photos online.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
as stated above, its to stop thieves cloning your number. Yes you can just go outside but if you steal a red tesla, its easier to find the plate of another red tesla online to disguise your stolen car

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Can't say that I consider the risk to be worth all the effort tbh.

Has anyone on this forum had their car cloned as a result of on-line photos?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not convinced here either. Zoe (like tesla) is permanently tracked and unless the thief paid the battery rental renault would switch it off :)

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
relying on the manufacturer to track a car is useless, dont you think the thief knowns that and would drive it into a shipping container straight away and block any signal that was coming from or going to the car.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
have you seen the number of ANPR cameras they still have to drive it somewhere before getting it into a shielded box. The number of high price cars stolen to order that disappear is quite shocking
But ANPR does not match the numberplate against car make/model/colour, so you can use any number to fool them.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
But ANPR does not match the numberplate against car make/model/colour, so you can use any number to fool them.
It matches stolen plates, and those in police cars show up make model insurance etc in real time, so if you driving past an ANPR car with plates from a blue car and the police car says red your going to get pulled

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
It matches stolen plates, and those in police cars show up make model insurance etc in real time, so if you driving past an ANPR car with plates from a blue car and the police car says red your going to get pulled
Have you not seen how quickly the details change on the ANPR screen when active? The police don't sit there manually checking details against picture, they only really pay it any attention when it triggers an alarm.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I have a friend in traffic and thats exactly what he does, they park up and watch what goes buy, contry to popular belief they don't sit in the car eating doughnuts and playing candy crush

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have a friend in traffic and thats exactly what he does, they park up and watch what goes buy, contry to popular belief they don't sit in the car eating doughnuts and playing candy crush
I hear they've moved onto maple pecan plaits now ;)

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I'm willing to bet a box of doughnuts that they don't compare the details on the ANPR screen against the picture of the vehicle, they let the ANPR alert them to flagged plates while they watch out of the window for bad driving or suspicious behaviour etc.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts