Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are interested in nerdy stuff like BMS measured cell-voltages, battery temperature, DTC-codes, tire pressures, etc; you can read those values using an OBD bluetooth dongle, and the Android app Soul EV Spy (Lite), available from Google Play Store. The app is read-only, so no control of climate, charging, or anything else.

The app has basic support for all battery-vehicles from Hyundai and Kia. You can read out the same data by configuring Torque Pro, but that requires some work to configure.

Screenshot from the SoulEVSpy app (temperatures configured to Fahrenheit in this example):

·
Registered
104 Posts
Soul EV Spy has just moved from Beta testing to a paid for version at an eye watering £11.99 in the UK Play store. The only difference between the Light and the Full version is that you can save the log files (CSV format) and replay them in the app.

Worth £11.99? I don't think so! (Torque Pro £2.95). The light version is next to useless without logging IMHO.

John.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Soul EV Spy has just moved from Beta testing to a paid for version at an eye watering £11.99 in the UK Play store. The only difference between the Light and the Full version is that you can save the log files (CSV format) and replay them in the app.

Worth £11.99? I don't think so! (Torque Pro £2.95). The light version is next to useless without logging IMHO.

John.
I am glad you have found an alternative solution for your needs, that you can afford. You shouldn't buy the paid app, if it is not worth the price, to you.

The differences between the free Lite version and the paid version are going to increase, as the paid version improves. The rate of improvement is directly related to how much time I spend on coding. If nobody buys the paid app, I have my spare time and holidays for coding improvements to the app. If sale of the paid app can pay for some of the time I currently spend doing my day job, improvements will come sooner. The app has been developed over the past 4 years. Since 2017 by my improvements, in my spare time and holidays. It is the result of that work, that is available in the free Lite version now.

I have been pondering ways of letting users use the app for free, while still giving users an incentive to pay, so I can free some of the time I spend on my day job, to speed up development. I ended up doing it like the Leaf Spy: http://sfbayleafs.org/wp-content/media/2014/04/Jan_2014_CEpg20-23.pdf
I am interested to know if you can think of a better way to achieve that? You clearly disagree with my choice, so what will you suggest I do instead, to speed up development of future improvements?

I know that owners of Soul EV's with failing battery cells appreciate the Lite version: The pretty accurate SOH calculation makes it possible to decide whether and when to let the Kia garage do the official SOH-control. Many garages will charge the owner, if the official SOH is not below the warranty limit, and the car usability is really limited, when SOH gets as low as 60 or 50% of the original capacity.

So, for this use case, as well as reading the SOH when considering to purchase a used Soul EV, I suppose the user is not interested in configuring Torque Pro, and don't care much about datafiles. So, I humbly disagree that the Lite version is useless without datalogging. I suppose your opinion is due to you using the app for other purposes. I am glad you have found an alternative solution for your needs, that you can afford.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are interested in nerdy stuff like BMS measured cell-voltages, battery temperature, DTC-codes, tire pressures, etc;...............

Thanks for posting, i am consdiering getting an OBD bluetooth device for my eNiro, which one do you use? (I have heard that there can be compatibilty issue with some of the cheaper ones, with certian car)

BR Ateeq

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the app. I'm also a software developer so I appreciate the effort.

For those who don't mind a little extra initial setup work, Torque Pro is more flexible and will work with any car. I posted some links on setting it up for the Niro in this thread on another forum.

FYI, I see from your screenshots that you have the incorrect data for the Niro (and likely Kona and 2020 Soul). There should be 98 cells listed for those cars. You also need to use 98 cells in the calculations for full pack voltage. Original Torque Pro setup had the same bug and a solution is posted in above linked thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for posting, i am consdiering getting an OBD bluetooth device for my eNiro, which one do you use? (I have heard that there can be compatibilty issue with some of the cheaper ones, with certian car)

BR Ateeq
The Soul EV Spy supports only Konnwei KW-902, because that works well for other apps and cars, so that is what I purchased.
Some others works, some others works partially sometimes, and most others doesn't work at all, with the app.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, I see from your screenshots that you have the incorrect data for the Niro (and likely Kona and 2020 Soul). There should be 98 cells listed for those cars. You also need to use 98 cells in the calculations for full pack voltage. Original Torque Pro setup had the same bug and a solution is posted in above linked thread.
Well, not really. The Soul Spy app supports ALL battery vehicles from Hyundai and Kia, having cell number from 88 to 100. The screenshot is from a Soul EV 2015. And yes, a temperature sensor value was missing, when the data was recorded in the summer of 2018.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts