Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I’ve just uploaded another video, this time about the BMS update.

(edit changed mice to I’ve!)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Another one of your brilliant video's Mike !.
It clearly explains what updates are advised for the ZS EV.
My car was at my local dealer only about two weeks ago having the Comfort 2 update, like you my supplying dealer is roughly a 150 mile around trip and due to the Welsh fire break being in force, this was a none runner at the time.
When I booked in my car for the Comfort 2 update, the service advisor said that some cars had taken only one hour to apply, while others had taken upto three hours to complete the update.
I just wonder if the reason for this extra time needed on the older cars, was because there had been extra updates to apply any at the same time.
For me, this was the first time the car had been through the doors of the workshop in almost 10 months, which makes me very happy !.
My car was at the dealership for a full half of the day.

I believe the software update for the HV Fuse is covered by the following update, for anybody who maybe remotely interested in this stuff !.

It is covered under the following statement from MG.

The "Service Action Bulletin SA17 Issue 1" ( as MG has named it ) dated 06.08.2020 "To prevent main battery fail due to a problem with the HV Fuse".,

The wording on the Bulletin sheet is along these lines :-

Model Range :- MG SZ EV before "Offline date" 30.06.2020. - So cars received before this date, will require update I guess.

"New Battery protection software".
The Action :- "Update the DCDC & TC modules software using SIPS".
( DC to DC Converter & Traction Motor Control Module.)

It also states that dealers are requested to carry out this action on any demo cars, cars in stock, new cars awaiting delivery and ANY vehicles that are submitted for work in their workshop, for ANY reasons.
Therefore if any car has entered the workshop for any issues / service, after the date of this release, then the update SHOULD have been done automatically by the dealer.

I am now starting to wonder if the BMS charging update and the HV Fuse update was done at the same time as the Comfort 2 update at my very recent visit ?.
I will check tomorrow if the car will perform a charge with the doors unlocked, if so then the BMS update may have been done without me knowing.
Of course, I have no way of knowing / telling if the HV Fuse update has been done.
The car will due its first service in Jan 21 but I will probably submit the car slightly early just before Xmas.
While talking recall / updates, has anybody received the recall to replace and reroute a new the wiring loom in the drivers door ?.
I believe there is a few members who have been contacted by MG to submit there cars for this work.
On a personal basis only, I have NOT received any contact from MG on this mater.
Did it only affect a small number of the first wave of cars ?.

Loved the video's Mike - you always appear to capture the current and topical mood of questions posted and then answer them in the best way possible in a format that everybody understands.
A picture ( in your case a video ) saves speaking a thousand words they say.
And of course, never is a truer word spoken !.

Thanks again and please keep them coming.

·
Registered
985 Posts
While talking recall / updates, has anybody received the recall to replace and reroute a new the wiring loom in the drivers door ?.
Yes I received a call from my dealer requesting the car to undertake the wiring loom and HV Fuse fix. They said they were going to apply the BMS update and agreed when asked to do the comfort 2 update at the same time. It was helpful that people like Mike had provided updates and videos so I could confirm what was required and know that the BMS fix was not competed properly for me.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yes I received a call from my dealer requesting the car to undertake the wiring loom and HV Fuse fix. They said they were going to apply the BMS update and agreed when asked to do the comfort 2 update at the same time. It was helpful that people like Mike had provided updates and videos so I could confirm what was required and know that the BMS fix was not competed properly for me.
Are you one of the early adopters, first of the 1,000 to be delivered ?.
Trying to figure out which cars where affected by the wiring loom issue.
Sounds like MG have directly contacted affected cars / owners then.
When did they contact you ?.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was in the first few hundred. Delivery in November 2019. I was not contacted by anyone about any of the updates!

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
985 Posts
Are you one of the early adopters, first of the 1,000 to be delivered ?.
Trying to figure out which cars where affected by the wiring loom issue.
Sounds like MG have directly contacted affected cars / owners then.
When did they contact you ?.
Yes I was in the first 1000. I was originally called to say my car had been delivered and was available for collection on about 20th December, but I asked that it was registered and collected at end of first week of January. If I recall you collected yours at a similar time so may have been from the same batch?

The dealer contacted me about 5 weeks ago but couldn't offer a service slot for a few weeks, I got the impression that MG recompense the dealer for dealing with bugs and safety recalls but not for the Comfort 2 update. Don't think updates are urgent and there are many people driving around in cars that haven't yet been updated. These would ordinarily be dealt with at first service, but dealer may be able to manage workload better by getting customers in earlier.

In pre-covid times I would have been driving more and would have actively sought updates (which I agree are worth doing) but for the mileage I'm doing at the moment I would have waited until annual service if the dealer hadn't have been proactive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is some of the most useful information I have come across with regards to software updates for unlocked charging and timed charging:

Kindly post by ScifiArgonaut on MGEVS.com - Rolec charger problem

"I booked mine into Richmond MG Southampton 3/11/20, they really listened to me and understood what I was talking about. I told them I had a Rolec charger and that I had charging issues and that I read on the forum that there is a BMS updates that can fix it. They have a technician called Gareth who is their EV expert and they said bring it in and they would check if the software was up to date even though I only got the car on 21 Set 20 and it already had the Comfort2 update.

As they recommend Rolec Chargers I asked if they would do this free of charge and they said yes under warranty. They contacted MG technical who authorised EVCC & OBC updates applied to my car. I told them that I wanted to post what the updates where on this forum so they kindly supplied me with this...

EVCC - Electric Vehicle Charge Control
Improves compatibility with smart and timed charging systems that use PWM wake up strategy (e.g. ROLEC Smart EV). When the customer connects the charging gun to the vehicle, a timer is started within the module. This allows a charge to delay the start of charging session for upto 10 hours before the EVCC module will shut down completely. If a charge starts but then stopped within 10 minutes the timer restarts.

If the charge starts and continues for more than 10 minutes, the timer will simply run for 10 hours from when the charge gun was inserted.

The charge timer will not terminate a charge session, even if the charge is delayed until 9 hours and 59 seconds after the charging gun is connected.

OBC - Onboard Charger
Allows the vehicle to be charged on AC charging stations without the need for the vehicle to be locked. When an AC charger is connected to the vehicle the charge gun will be locked into the socket and charging will start. If the customer locks the vehicle charging will continue.

If whilst charging the customer unlocks the vehicle the charging will temporarily stop, and the charge gun will be unlocked. If the charge gun is not removed within 1 minute, the charge gun will be relocked and charging will resume."

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Yes I was in the first 1000. I was originally called to say my car had been delivered and was available for collection on about 20th December, but I asked that it was registered and collected at end of first week of January. If I recall you collected yours at a similar time so may have been from the same batch?

The dealer contacted me about 5 weeks ago but couldn't offer a service slot for a few weeks, I got the impression that MG recompense the dealer for dealing with bugs and safety recalls but not for the Comfort 2 update. Don't think updates are urgent and there are many people driving around in cars that haven't yet been updated. These would ordinarily be dealt with at first service, but dealer may be able to manage workload better by getting customers in earlier.

In pre-covid times I would have been driving more and would have actively sought updates (which I agree are worth doing) but for the mileage I'm doing at the moment I would have waited until annual service if the dealer hadn't have been proactive.
You remembered correctly !.
Dealer rang about the second week in December 19 to say the car had just arrived, but like you I delayed delivery until the 6th Jan 20.
The recently released upgrade to permit delayed charging had been available about a month earlier.
They applied the update before collection, which was great as we where on a Eco7 tariff at the time and I wanted to take advantage of the fact.
There was no further updates available at this time.
When attempting to install the Sonoff Wi-Fi switch in late Jan 20 - that is when we discovered the almost burnt out RCOB unit.
Replaced the RCOB and installed the Sonoff.
I have been delay charging ever since.
Car made first visit to a local the dealer about two weeks ago for the Comfort 2 update.
I am unsure if any other updates where applied at the same time.
No mention of the wiring loom recall either ?.
I need to speak with the dealer before booking in the car for its first service before Xmas time.
I need to get a handle on what does and does not need performing on the car.

·
Registered
985 Posts
What I'm really hoping for is the rumoured BMS update that allows faster rapid charging in colder conditions. Am seeing lots of new owners reporting 20kWish charge rates on the facebook group. I had a bit of a rant about this last winter but without needing to make longer journeys atm this is a non-issue for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am taking delivery of a new ZS EV next week (not a pre-reg, arrived at dealers 6/11). Does anyone know if all of these updates, the Comfort 2, BMS and HV fuse have been installed at the factory now or is it still down to the dealer to do as part of the PDI ?

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'd expect dealer to check versions and apply necessary updates as part of PDI. It isn't easy to know which updates have been applied but you can check display to get a good idea if Comfort 2 update is applied (display of temperature and remaining range, and absence of all the bongs), and plug in to see if charge starts without locking. Most dealers are able to do this properly now and you would be very unlucky not to get a properly configured car.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
plug in to see if charge starts without locking.
Hi @WalkingBootWeather .
I tried plugging in my car this afternoon and locked the doors.
Car commenced charging, but when I unlocked the doors, it stop charging straight away.
It would appear that the BMS update has not been done, while it was at the agents only two weeks ago.
So, it looks like it will need the BMS update and the HV Fuse update doing when it goes in for service before Xmas.

·
Registered
985 Posts
@Carty that is the behaviour I see too which we now know from Mike's video indicates that the BMS update has not been correctly applied. Like you I plan to get the dealer to look at this at annual service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts