Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 310 Posts

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
I read about this elsewhere today. So is this going to be, or is it, available in the UK? I'm just about to pick up a 2016 30kWh Tekna (registered January 2017) so I guess that it falls into this category!

Edit: I have emailed my Nissan dealer to ask about this "customer service campaign". As this is essentially hot off the press information I doubt that they'll know very much at all.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Interesting news; not sure I understand why they hadn't actually checked the battery cells outside the BMS before swapping out the whole packs?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Interesting news; not sure I understand why they hadn't actually checked the battery cells outside the BMS before swapping out the whole packs?
That's probably a bit beyond the capability of the average dealer, I imagine it took X amount of them getting back to Sunderland for testing before they realised what was wrong.

Does this potentially explain the infamous NZ reports on battery degradation?

·
Registered
40 Posts
A big thank you to Gavin Taylor for the link to the article. I had been wondering why my late December 2015 30kWh Leaf was no longer indicating ranges of 120-135 miles when driven in suburban areas (it has 38200 miles on the clock) in warm weather. Instead, I was lucky to see over 100 miles, an astounding drop from last year. My pattern of use and charging has been unchanged throughout ownership, allowing the battery to get low (i.e. 5% to 15%) before recharging, mostly at home. I had also used several Ultrachargers where the indicated percentages of charge at the start and finish did not relate at all to the amount of electricity taken. When I was down below 10% but charged to 100%, the amount was below 20kWh. As a test, I charged today from an indicated 33% in the car and 34% on the Ultracharger all the way to 100%. It took 17kWh. That's more or less telling me that I have the equivalent of a 25kWh battery after 29 months of ownership, a fall of nearly 17%. Meanwhile the car happily shows all the bars still there at 100%; it's just the rates of fall-off of the bars and of the percentage of charge whilst driving that are appalling.

So I went around to my Nissan dealer and had a short discussion in which it was clear that there was no knowledge of such a problem, after which I tabled the article that Gavin had signposted. The service manager, who was excellent, went away and checked......as if by magic, he came back with a print-out and said that they had just received a recall notice for 30kWh Leaf cars for a "reprogramming of the lithium battery controller".

So that's it; Nissan has acknowledged an issue on UK Leafs and has a fix. I have booked in for 1030 on 21st June 2018; the dealer said it will take 30 minutes and we have agreed that I shall tell the dealer the results on the road.

If the fault is in the software as described in the article, that also means that for months I will have been charging the battery from an indicated 5% to 15% when in fact its true state of charge will have been 22% to 32%, which is not the healthiest thing to have been doing. No wonder Nissan is saying that it will still honour the original warranty; it should do after its battery management system has effectively been telling all 30kWh Leaf owners to charge when their batteries already had plenty left in them.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
My pattern of use and charging has been unchanged throughout ownership, allowing the battery to get low (i.e. 5% to 15%) before recharging, mostly at home.

[...]

If the fault is in the software as described in the article, that also means that for months I will have been charging the battery from an indicated 5% to 15% when in fact its true state of charge will have been 22% to 32%, which is not the healthiest thing to have been doing.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, but if not I'm afraid you're confused about what's "good" or "bad" for your battery. Deep discharge is worse for degradation of Lithium Ion batteries, not better.

Putting aside for the moment the error in indicated battery percentage, if you have a choice between running the car multiple days before reaching 5% then charging up, or running it for a shorter time then charging it up starting at say 30-40%, the later is much MUCH better for the battery than deeply discharging it.

Refer to table 2 on this article for more information:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Keep in mind depth of discharge is subtracted from 100% so a depth of discharge of for example 80% means discharging from 100% to 20%.

The last type of battery that required full discharges to remain healthy were NiCad's, due to their memory effect. Lithium Ion battery's (and NiMH which replaced NiCad) do not have any memory effect.

So if you thought you were discharging the battery to 5% but you were really only discharging it to 22% because the car was giving an incorrect indication of the state of charge, this error has actually been beneficial to the longevity of the battery by preventing you from discharging it as deeply, but it's not too late to change your ways before the BMS update is applied. :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Putting aside for the moment the error in indicated battery percentage, if you have a choice between running the car multiple days before reaching 5% then charging up, or running it for a shorter time then charging it up starting at say 30-40%, the later is much MUCH better for the battery than deeply discharging it.
Is there a benefit to occasionally running it low to somehow calibrate the BMS?

I recently got Leafspy to take a look at my 12 month old 24kWh Leaf. It's done 5k miles and the SoH is saying 93%. This seems a bit low for the age and mileage? I think it's likely been kept charged and hardly ever run down near zero, so maybe the calibration is out as to what zero really is? I've no idea. It could also be really 93% if it's been sat at 100% for most of the last year ....

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Where did you manage to find a 12 month old 24kWh Leaf ? I thought they haven't been made since about 2015 ?

Running it occasionally down to 10-20% may help the BMS re-calibrate it's idea of what the full charge capacity of the battery is, you shouldn't need to go as low as turtle mode, down to 20% should be enough. But I wouldn't do it on a regular basis unless you really do need to use that last bit of range.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Where did you manage to find a 12 month old 24kWh Leaf ? I thought they haven't been made since about 2015 ?
The 24kWh was available right up to the end of line for the model. In fact, it seems to me that most of the 1-2 year old models are 24kWh, since most 30kWh are still waiting to come off 3 year PCP deals. Or at least that's true if you do what I did and limit the price to no more than about £15k. The 30kWh models currently available are all £18-20k+ at which point I don't know why anyone would bother - better to front the extra and get the latest model brand new.

Running it occasionally down to 10-20% may help the BMS re-calibrate it's idea of what the full charge capacity of the battery is, you shouldn't need to go as low as turtle mode, down to 20% should be enough. But I wouldn't do it on a regular basis unless you really do need to use that last bit of range.
Thanks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Actually, 30Kwh models start below £15k (Nissan dealer) and there are several around the £16k mark. Ignoring the Visia trim, the new one is around £25k minimum.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Appreciate that this is very new news, but how do we tell if our vehicle needs the bms update? Is there a Nissan website we can check?

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
@AlanG - Before you have your update would you use Leaf Spy to find out what the software versions are in your 30kWh. I don't have mine (picking the Tekna 30kWh up Saturday) so I won't be able to tell if I'm on the updated software or not. I doubt they'd do it before I collect, even after I mentioned as above. So it would be worthwhile for everyone to know what the incumbent versions are and [after you've had your update] what the fixed versions are.

Keep on track. Keep Nissan honest :D :)

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
Actually, 30Kwh models start below £15k (Nissan dealer) and there are several around the £16k mark. Ignoring the Visia trim, the new one is around £25k minimum.
Yup. The Tekna 30kWh I'm picking up Saturday is £16k OTR, an ex-showroom demo model, around 9k miles on the odo and Leaf Spy says 96% SOH, although one cell quite a few mv lower than the others, but thats on a partial charge of 34% which I imagine its been sat at for a while. I'd expect Acenta to be below £15k.

·
Registered
276 Posts
This thread is interesting and explains what I'm seeing on my 30kwh with 42k miles on the clock. In fact I had just written a detailed description of what I was seeing on this forum, I'll be talking to Nissan about this recall.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Actually, 30Kwh models start below £15k (Nissan dealer) and there are several around the £16k mark.
Where? Can you show me one? A 2017 30kWh under £15k with average miles for 12 months old (i.e., not 30k miles or whatever). From a main dealer, not some random private sale with no consumer protection.

Yup. The Tekna 30kWh I'm picking up Saturday is £16k OTR
Yup? He said "start below £15k" and you're in agreement by quoting one at £16k? Is this the car dealer equivalent of bistromathics?

·
Madam Legurtz
407 Posts
Where? Can you show me one? A 2017 30kWh under £15k with average miles for 12 months old (i.e., not 30k miles or whatever). From a main dealer, not some random private sale with no consumer protection.
Cor! Keep yer hair on.

Ancasta Nissan would be worth checking. But did you specify Main Dealer in your claim of nothing under £15k? You may have, I didn't read that. You did say "1 - 2 year models" which includes 2016 models.

Yup? He said "start below £15k" and you're in agreement by quoting one at £16k? Is this the car dealer equivalent of bistromathics?
I mentioned the Tekna that I'm buying, from a main Nissan dealer, which will obviously be more than a similar year Acenta.

But hey. Whatever.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The 30kWh models currently available are all £18-20k+ at which point I don't know why anyone would bother - better to front the extra and get the latest model brand new.

Thanks!
You didn't specify 2017 originally! You're moving the goalposts. Here are some sub-15K 30Kwh models:

£14,480: Nissan Leaf E (30kWh) Acenta 5 Dr Hatchback 1.0

£14,495 with 6Kw charger: Nissan Leaf ACENTA 30KW 6.6 5dr

£14,841: Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh 5dr Auto

£14,983: Nissan Leaf Acenta 30kWh 5dr Auto

Enough? ;-)

1 - 20 of 310 Posts