Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given the recent issues with this update and that my car is due to be serviced in early Sept I am keen to understand what are the key indicators that show all of this update has been successfully applied!

So far I understand this:
a. Nav look changes, inc speed camera warnings.
b. Option to enable or disable the battery top up is removed.
c. Some effect on the brake lights on regen.

Are their any other things we should look out for that don’t need EVNotify or other such add ons?

·
Registered
103 Posts
slight change to charging curve... Most had the Battery Saver+ feature disappear from the menu (me included). Battery saver now comes on every 4 hours and can't be turned off..

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Some of these are different things...

1) SatNav update - in two parts, the update to sat nav software version 5.0 and the update of the maps. Both need to be done. Very obvious if they're not both done as it won't look any different, and/or won't work (new sat nav software with old maps = doesn't start up or route)
2) BMS and other ECU updates - 4 in total, I believe. BMS update results in b. above and I think one of the other updates results in c. Correct update to BMS results in different charging curve; incorrect results in charging limited to 30-something kW on a rapid charger.

Unfortunately I can't give you a categorical answer to prove that all the updates have been done successfully, only the bits above :(

Reactions: mikegs

·
Registered
253 Posts
My understanding is that there are three different and separate updates

1. Sat-Nav is not related to BMS updates. My dealer updated both: infotainment + maps because I specifically asked for that. They definitely didn't plan to update it by default (2-step update and takes about 90 minutes)

2. You should definitely see different charging curve if BMS is updated. And as reported on this forum you should be able to use EH :)

3. I still have AUX Battery Saver and break lights turns off when car comes to stop. I haven't observed any issues. However I would recommend to ensure that this component is updated too (not sure what it is??? MCU???). This may resolve issues with 12v battery.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have experienced a and b. I have not noticed c.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I am still trying to get the latest Maps & Nav update, I am still on the versions from when the car was new in Sept 18. Could someone please post a photo of how the maps look now, so 1. I can see what enhancements I am missing and 2. I can tell the dealer that unless the maps look like that they have failed again. Preferably from a pre 2020 model. Thanks in anticipation.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am still trying to get the latest Maps & Nav update, I am still on the versions from when the car was new in Sept 18. Could someone please post a photo of how the maps look now, so 1. I can see what enhancements I am missing and 2. I can tell the dealer that unless the maps look like that they have failed again. Preferably from a pre 2020 model. Thanks in anticipation.
Here are the version numbers for a 2019 UK car (8" screen). Software, Firmware, and Nav App refer to the AVN update, and Map refers to the SD card map update. If you look along the top bar in the image you'll see that it now only displays a blue tooth audio icon. On the old software you would also see phone signal strength and phone battery level.

This update was released at the begining of March, although because of lockdown some dealers may still not have downloaded it yet!

John.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Given the recent issues with this update and that my car is due to be serviced in early Sept I am keen to understand what are the key indicators that show all of this update has been successfully applied!

Are their any other things we should look out for that don’t need EVNotify or other such add ons?
There's no way for mere mortals to check the ECU Rom versions, you would need the Hyundai diagnostics kit to be able to do that! there are a couple of indicators that may help.
ECU Module BMS - some values get reset like Cumulative Energy Charged, Cumulative Energy Discharged, Total operating time etc. However you would need Torque Pro to query those PID's
ECU Module VCULDC - Aux Battery Saver+ is removed from the cluster menu.
I have nothing to check for the Motor Control Unit, or the Integrated Gateway Power Module.

The break lights staying on seems to be market related - they don't for me in a UK updated car, but there is a Youtube vid of a North American car showing they do! - So I wouldn't use that as confirmation.

I think you just have to trust to luck on this one, however, due to the raised profile of this update on @stageshoot 's car, I would expect that @Hyundai Motor UK technical might be sending out a "best Practices" note to dealerships to reinforce what needs to be done.

John.

Reactions: Gadget Geek

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another indication that part of the upgrade was applied is the increased 12v battery charging, quite noticeable how that has increased, only spotted it once in a year before, now I’m seeing it almost daily. That said it appears we have an issue, only managed 32k on an Ionity charger and a couple of days ago I tested on two separate rapids that previously I’ve seen 48-49kw, this time only 39/40kw. Now waiting for a response from our dealership, I had been assured “no loss of performance“ prior to the BMS update, which is clearly not the case, will see how I get on. If they call it back in I’ll at least insist on getting the infotainment upgrade that they didn’t bother with last time...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Another indication that part of the upgrade was applied is the increased 12v battery charging, quite noticeable how that has increased, only spotted it once in a year before, now I’m seeing it almost daily. That said it appears we have an issue, only managed 32k on an Ionity charger and a couple of days ago I tested on two separate rapids that previously I’ve seen 48-49kw, this time only 39/40kw. Now waiting for a response from our dealership, I had been assured “no loss of performance“ prior to the BMS update, which is clearly not the case, will see how I get on. If they call it back in I’ll at least insist on getting the infotainment upgrade that they didn’t bother with last time...
Oh dear. Sounds like you are where we are before they went back in and started fixing the updates

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh dear. Sounds like you are where we are before they went back in and started fixing the updates
Yes its possible, typically my ODB interface decided to fail when I went testing, so no idea what was happening temperature wise, ambient was 26c, didn't hear any cooling, so kept the charge to only 10% thinking of you guys and not wanting to fry anything. Now waiting for them to come back to me, hopefully news of your experience in the UK has made it to France, fingers crossed!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see the Aux battery saver message around 4 times a week and I have not had the update…...

·
Registered
538 Posts
My September 18 is still on the original Sat Nav v10 etc etc. A couple of failed attempts since the 20k service to get the dealer to do updates, including me showing them screen prints from others of what the latest version numbers should be. So yesterday they try again and God knows how, but they have got to a point where the module needs replacing
as a warranty claim. They say say they tried to ‘force’ the updates! So is it a faulty module or their incompetence? .
Photo shows screen before they messed with it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I suspect what they mean by force is that they get an error message telling them that the module has already been updated and given the option of continuing anyway.

I’m in today for the same, I wonder if there is a batch of modules in circulation that have an issue with this update, they need to get to the bottom of it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
God knows how, but they have got to a point where the module needs replacing as a warranty claim. They say say they tried to ‘force’ the updates! So is it a faulty module or their incompetence? .
If they have to replace the module, see if they will provide the 2020 version with the 10" screen ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
My September 18 is still on the original Sat Nav v10 etc etc. A couple of failed attempts since the 20k service to get the dealer to do updates, including me showing them screen prints from others of what the latest version numbers should be. So yesterday they try again and God knows how, but they have got to a point where the module needs replacing View attachment 133341 as a warranty claim. They say say they tried to ‘force’ the updates! So is it a faulty module or their incompetence? .
That's shocking - The update is straightforward to do, HOWEVER, it is compounded by the fact that the 2020 Kona now uses a widescreen (10.25") unit which has different software/firmware versions to the original 8" unit.

I'm guessing that if you try to force the wrong versions into the head unit you're likely to finish up with a kippered system!

John.

Reactions: Richard Gledhill

·
Registered
538 Posts
Its crazy, the dealer has updated the software and firmware to latest versions, but the Navigation & Maps have gone. Tilbury said it needs a new module which is
on order, the service manager did mention £4,500 as the cost of the warranty claim! Just to fix the maps! He reckons I will not get the new screen but lets see.

As a positive the economy has improved but the HUD is temporarily not functioning.
AF762B7F-7403-4336-A528-A67930E2FFC6.jpeg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Its crazy, the dealer has updated the software and firmware to latest versions, but the Navigation & Maps have gone. Tilbury said it needs a new module which is View attachment 133348 on order, the service manager did mention £4,500 as the cost of the warranty claim! Just to fix the maps! He reckons I will not get the new screen but lets see.

As a positive the economy has improved but the HUD is temporarily not functioning. View attachment 133348
Sounds like a total balls up!

my visit to the dealership today was not quite as frustrating, but close, just a waste of time. The modules are showing the correct versions so now need to contact tech support. It was even suggested that the slow charging was intentional to preserve the battery. Now edging towards selling the car and giving up if they don’t sort it out soon.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts