Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evenin' folks,

Zoe went in for her diagnostic this morning and thought I'd share for those that may be interested. Have to say after reading all the horror stories re. BMS updates I was not looking forward to taking our (2015, 22kWh) car in for this. She visited a Renault dealer once before but they had no ZE technicians and they hadn't a clue other than 'something was wrong with the battery'.

I opted not to prescribe a solution (that generally isn't taken very well at any garage). I let them know that the car takes an age to charge from 99 to 100% and is not doing the range it should. I know the SOH is 72% but decided to let them assess that for themselves.

Imagine my delight this afternoon when they rang up and said I had two faults, of the BMS and the BMS safety computers! These could be resolved by 're-programming' of both! Then came the snag. Diagnostic fee, two-and-a-half hours labour for shutdown/reprogramming and we reach a figure close to £450!!!

I asked if this was covered under warranty to which they replied no, and if it was covered by the battery lease to which they replied no. They said it was the controller and not the battery therefore I wasnt covered. I asked if the vehicle warranty covered it to which they said it had expired. After explaining that I have the extended warranty they asked for me to send across my paperwork, which I did.

I then received a call to explain that the fault was not covered under warranty owing to an exclusion in the handbook:

"The following items are not covered:
Software update or reprogramming unless required due to the failure of a covered part"

Naturally, I read the rest of the handbook where I found the definition for "Mechanical or Electrical Failure":

"The inability of a covered component to operate in accordance with the manufacturer’s specification for a reason other than wear and tear, accident or malicious damage."

I explained this to the garage. They weren't interested at all and insisted the component hadn't "failed" (I asked him if his definition of failure was limited to the computer going up in a puff of smoke). Since I cannot use more than 72% of my battery capacity, this is not in accordance with manufacturer specification in my view. So I rang the warranty administrators. They told me that the garage had to submit a claim so that they could see the details and assess the case. I went back to the dealer asking them to do so. They then came back to me explaining that the warranty provider (Renault) agreed with them that it wasn't covered (I expect rather than submitting a claim as I requested they rang up and effectively sided against me from the start. Of course, the warranty provider agreed with them readily!).

Since they would not submit a claim I asked for specific details about the fault and for my SOH. He gave me the 72% figure (after some confusion, initially had no idea what I meant). Another call to the warranty admin team. The person on the phone actually listened to me this time round and agreed that should the reprogramming resolve the 'fault' then this would be covered. The garage should submit a claim. By this point it was after 5pm. There will be no more progress today, let's see what tomorrow brings.

Apologies for the longish rant but I had to vent! Why do garages have to make things so stressful? Surely they should side with their customer in the first instance as it doesn't matter to them whether payment comes from myself or the underwriters? Feels like shoddy customer service. Hopefully this gets resolved and we can help others in a similar situation.

Take care

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
242 Posts
Which dealership? If you want a dealer that knows and understands the Zoe I have always found DSG in Morecambe to be very customer friendly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which dealership? If you want a dealer that knows and understands the Zoe I have always found DSG in Morecambe to be very customer friendly.
Probably should have gone down that route in the first place, though we shouldn't have to travel hundreds of miles to receive decent customer service... Garage shall remain nameless to give them a chance to resolve. We're on the west coast (Scotland).

Problem with taking the car elsewhere now is they'll insist on their diagnostic fee, I would imagine.

·
Registered
725 Posts
"I asked if this was covered under warranty to which they replied no, and if it was covered by the battery lease to which they replied no. They said it was the controller and not the battery therefore I wasnt covered. ."

Are these controllers physically not part of the battery pack then? Surely you lease the assembled pack and all its components, not just the individual cells?
I don't understand how it could be your problem, on a leased battery, unless the controllers were physically part of the car and not the battery pack?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"I asked if this was covered under warranty to which they replied no, and if it was covered by the battery lease to which they replied no. They said it was the controller and not the battery therefore I wasnt covered. ."

Are these controllers physically not part of the battery pack then? Surely you lease the assembled pack and all its components, not just the individual cells?
I don't understand how it could be your problem, on a leased battery, unless the controllers were physically part of the car and not the battery pack?
I would agree with you. In fairness I haven't pursued the battery lease route fully yet, I've been trying to have it sorted under warranty first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have an update! The garage just rang to say that the warranty will in fact cover the cost and I've asked them to proceed with the works. I have to pay 50% of the diagnostic fee (around £60). According to the policy handbook the cost of diagnostics are covered if part of a valid claim but I'd rather not split hairs. It will be worth it to have the car sorted and returned to us. Fingers crossed the update resolves the fault and our range improves!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sounds very much like my dealing with Peterborough Dealership. Missing the whole point of helping the customer, they are gong to get paid either way so why not try and help the person who is bring you the work.

Glad you're getting it sorted. I think I'd still be pushing for the whole thing to be under warranty as you are correct in that if there is valid claim then diagnostics is covered. Pretty sure the warranty people wouldn't care once the claim has been accepted and sounds like the dealership is just trying to get some money out of you for getting them to go round in circles until they actually did what they were supposed to do in the first place.
However in this case RCI should have sorted it and there has been mention of them sorting in the past. With the SOH being below 75% then they should cough up for a replacement battery, or the obviously much cheaper option of just upgrading the software.

Oh final point, I've been told several times that a standard Renault diagnostic charge has always been something like £79 which is plenty to plug a flippin' computer in. Anything above that requires an extra phone call (and them admitting that they are incompetent) and want you to authorise more diagnostics charges. So 50% of that that is only £40, but you still shouldn't be paying that.

Reactions: rossnruss

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds very much like my dealing with Peterborough Dealership. Missing the whole point of helping the customer, they are gong to get paid either way so why not try and help the person who is bring you the work.

Glad you're getting it sorted. I think I'd still be pushing for the whole thing to be under warranty as you are correct in that if there is valid claim then diagnostics is covered. Pretty sure the warranty people wouldn't care once the claim has been accepted and sounds like the dealership is just trying to get some money out of you for getting them to go round in circles until they actually did what they were supposed to do in the first place.
However in this case RCI should have sorted it and there has been mention of them sorting in the past. With the SOH being below 75% then they should cough up for a replacement battery, or the obviously much cheaper option of just upgrading the software.

Oh final point, I've been told several times that a standard Renault diagnostic charge has always been something like £79 which is plenty to plug a flippin' computer in. Anything above that requires an extra phone call (and them admitting that they are incompetent) and want you to authorise more diagnostics charges. So 50% of that that is only £40, but you still shouldn't be paying that.
Thanks for your insight. I reckon I'll pay the charge for diagnostics when I collect the car and then ring the warranty office again to ask why 100% of the fee wasn't covered. They can either give me an explanation or tell me that the garage are talking rubbish?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No news yet as to whether the update took. Zoe last reported 100% SOC with 60 miles range but that was five hours ago. Anyone know how long it generally takes? They quoted two-and-a-half hours labour..?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just been to pick up the car. SOH 98%, showing 80+ miles of range on a full charge. GOM seems much more linear and I'm no longer scared to travel more than 40 miles. Overall much more usable car. Charged £50 in the end but for my own sanity that's worth it.

Thanks all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts