Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

We collected my Dad's MG ZS EV on Saturday from Cairnryan Possible MG ZS EV Newbie | MGEVs Community

I did my due diligence before purchasing to ensure all relevant updates would be applied such as;

'Comfort 2 Update' (apparently cars coming through now have this update applied)
'BMS Update'
'HV Fuse Update'

I was assured they would be but not only that, they would be listed on the invoice, which they were.

Got the car home late on Saturday evening with 60ish miles remaining only to find I couldn't get the car to charge, doors locked or unlocked made no difference.

So my Pop went home in his brand new EV that he was afraid to drive and couldn't carry out his planned journey on Sunday due to lack of range.

On Sunday we attempted the following;
  1. Plugged the car in and then locked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  2. Unlocked the car removed the plug (from the car) and reinserted it then relocked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  3. Waited until the display went blank then operated the boot lock to reawaken the display - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  4. Unlocked the car removed the plug from the car then reinserted it into the car and relocked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  5. I checked that the plug was fully inserted (again) and was locked into the car - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  6. I started to fish my phone out of my pocket to try googling for information when there was some whirring from the front and finally the car began charging.
  7. The Granny Charger was powered on every time but the Charge light was flashing green when the car was saying it was plugged in but not charging, could it be faulty?
  8. We didn't dare interrupt the car once it was charging so we left it in overnight to get a 100% charge.

Got a call from Stewart (Aftersales Manager) of Vic Youngs this afternoon to be told that they had done a VIN search against the MG Software Update list and it is NOT possible to carry out the BMS update as our car VIN doesn't fall within the approved range. It may be possible in the future but at the minute it can NOT be done.

Interestingly Stewart also told me that the first BMS update was to be a one-off for an individual customer but the particular dealership started rolling it out and Stewart reckon they would lose their MG Dealership, anyone able to confirm this or the inability to perform the BMS update?

Our VIN is SDPW7CB3FLZ128609 so would be interested if anyone else has anything similar with the BMS update.

We dealt with Callum (Sales Executive) who has been great so far, answers emails comprehensively and in good time. He is extremely sympathetic and has offered £50 compensation just for the inconvenience of Saturday night/Sunday morning. I have spoken to Callum and told him I would post this on the forum to see if what Stewart is saying is accurate or if there are any work-a-rounds available.

Not sure what to do, we have 14 days to reject the car and don't even have to give a reason however the fact the invoice states the BMS Update was carried out but obviously hasn't is certainly a reason. Then there is the complete faff of more ferry's (we are in N. Ireland) to return the car or is that up to the seller to arrange under the circumstances? Then I know my Dad will want his Leaf back but I don't know how long Vic Youngs will have it and I am positive we can't buy another 2017 30Kw with 22,000 miles for £8,750.

My Dad is 80 years old and really shouldn't be standing around outside a locked car while waiting for it to charge is not ideal, or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks for reading this far and would really appreciate any advice.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,074 Posts
Are there any public chargers you can try? It would exclude the granny charger being at fault.

An EV that can't charge is pretty much useless so the dealership does need to sort out why it isn't.

I would contact the dealership straight away and tell them you are considering rejecting the car as it won't charge without a fight and that's not acceptable. If NI consumer law is the same as rest of U.K. you have 28 days under consumer regulations to reject anyway.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV
533 Posts
Good evening all,

We collected my Dad's MG ZS EV on Saturday from Cairnryan Possible MG ZS EV Newbie | MGEVs Community

I did my due diligence before purchasing to ensure all relevant updates would be applied such as;

'Comfort 2 Update' (apparently cars coming through now have this update applied)
'BMS Update'
'HV Fuse Update'

I was assured they would be but not only that, they would be listed on the invoice, which they were.

Got the car home late on Saturday evening with 60ish miles remaining only to find I couldn't get the car to charge, doors locked or unlocked made no difference.

So my Pop went home in his brand new EV that he was afraid to drive and couldn't carry out his planned journey on Sunday due to lack of range.

On Sunday we attempted the following;
  1. Plugged the car in and then locked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  2. Unlocked the car removed the plug (from the car) and reinserted it then relocked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  3. Waited until the display went blank then operated the boot lock to reawaken the display - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  4. Unlocked the car removed the plug from the car then reinserted it into the car and relocked the doors - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  5. I checked that the plug was fully inserted (again) and was locked into the car - car said it was plugged in but not charging.
  6. I started to fish my phone out of my pocket to try googling for information when there was some whirring from the front and finally the car began charging.
  7. The Granny Charger was powered on every time but the Charge light was flashing green when the car was saying it was plugged in but not charging, could it be faulty?
  8. We didn't dare interrupt the car once it was charging so we left it in overnight to get a 100% charge.

Got a call from Stewart (Aftersales Manager) of Vic Youngs this afternoon to be told that they had done a VIN search against the MG Software Update list and it is NOT possible to carry out the BMS update as our car VIN doesn't fall within the approved range. It may be possible in the future but at the minute it can NOT be done.

Interestingly Stewart also told me that the first BMS update was to be a one-off for an individual customer but the particular dealership started rolling it out and Stewart reckon they would lose their MG Dealership, anyone able to confirm this or the inability to perform the BMS update?

Our VIN is SDPW7CB3FLZ128609 so would be interested if anyone else has anything similar with the BMS update.

We dealt with Callum (Sales Executive) who has been great so far, answers emails comprehensively and in good time. He is extremely sympathetic and has offered £50 compensation just for the inconvenience of Saturday night/Sunday morning. I have spoken to Callum and told him I would post this on the forum to see if what Stewart is saying is accurate or if there are any work-a-rounds available.

Not sure what to do, we have 14 days to reject the car and don't even have to give a reason however the fact the invoice states the BMS Update was carried out but obviously hasn't is certainly a reason. Then there is the complete faff of more ferry's (we are in N. Ireland) to return the car or is that up to the seller to arrange under the circumstances? Then I know my Dad will want his Leaf back but I don't know how long Vic Youngs will have it and I am positive we can't buy another 2017 30Kw with 22,000 miles for £8,750.

My Dad is 80 years old and really shouldn't be standing around outside a locked car while waiting for it to charge is not ideal, or am I being unreasonable?

Thanks for reading this far and would really appreciate any advice.
I had a complete charge failure on my MG after some months from new. Firstly mine was an early car which I believe came over in January but not delivered until May. It required the drivers door wiring loom replacing and a software update at that time. I had the comfort update in July but after 4 weeks for no apparent reason, though I had used a rapid charger just before, it failed. I had enough in the battery to get it to the dealer where they found they couldn’t charge it (of course). After 3 days they called me to say it was fixed with new software EVCC and OBS I suggest that you call the dealer and check if this might be the problem. Once done mine has been ok and also does delayed charging properly.

Good luck it’s a great car when it works! I have some health issues which affect my mobility and this car is a blessing. So much is automatic.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,098 Posts
Are there any public chargers you can try? It would exclude the granny charger being at fault.

An EV that can't charge is pretty much useless so the dealership does need to sort out why it isn't.

I would contact the dealership straight away and tell them you are considering rejecting the car as it won't charge without a fight and that's not acceptable. If NI consumer law is the same as rest of U.K. you have 28 days under consumer regulations to reject anyway.
Agree entirely. Just to clarify, this suggestion is to fast charge (AC) not Rapid (DC).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi

there is a delay for safety if you unlock so that you can disconnect.

did you check the fault code on the back of the charger? IIRC the green flashing light is an earth fault with the supply.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Could be anything. Could be the granny charger, could be the plug socket at your house, could be the car.

Take it back and get them to diagnose it - if they can’t reproduce the fault it’ll be your house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies so far, have bought an adapter so will be able to use the Type 1 wall box this week just to see if there was a problem with the Granny Charger.

I have been completely upfront with the dealer from the start even by linking to the BMS Update threads on Forums.

When I was talking to Stewart from Vic Youngs today he didn't seem fazed at all when I suggested we might have to reject the car.

I have read that there are some house hold accessories that can cause difficulties/interference when charging from a 13A socket.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why our car isn't able to have the BMS Software Update?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I think perhaps wires may be getting crossed here. There have been at least 2 BMS updates since car was originally released. The purpose of these has been to facilitate timed charging. I have not heard of any occasion where the BMS version has been a factor in owners not being able to charge their car using a granny or public charge point. With earlier iterations of the software it was necessary to lock the car before the charge initiated, but in latest version this is not necessary.

@LeafMatters you have 2 separate issues. The first is why the car won't charge now and this could be due to the on-board charger but I'd start by ruling out local factors by attempting to charge on a public charger or at another location using the granny charger. The second issue is the claim that the software can't be updated by which the dealer might have meant you already have the latest software version, otherwise it sounds to me more like BS than BMS. In principle your car is identical to many others and everyone else has been able to accept updates.

If you genuinely can't update software on your car or there is another problem that prevents charging that would be reason to reject the car, but dealer has an opportunity to fix first and I'd expect them to do so at any time within the warranty period.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I rang MG today who told me with latest BMS update the car will charge unlocked so I phone my dealer who sold me the car they are contacting me tomorrow to book the car in for latest BMS update no mention of vin number and not being able to do it so watch this space.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
Hi, I rang MG today who told me with latest BMS update the car will charge unlocked so I phone my dealer who sold me the car they are contacting me tomorrow to book the car in for latest BMS update no mention of vin number and not being able to do it so watch this space.
Yeah, BS first then when stuck in a corner you have to do the proper job. Dealers!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,972 Posts
Never been a great fan of Renault, but I will give my local dealer a thumbs up. They never tried to BS me once.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I think perhaps wires may be getting crossed here. There have been at least 2 BMS updates since car was originally released. The purpose of these has been to facilitate timed charging. I have not heard of any occasion where the BMS version has been a factor in owners not being able to charge their car using a granny or public charge point. With earlier iterations of the software it was necessary to lock the car before the charge initiated, but in latest version this is not necessary.

@LeafMatters you have 2 separate issues. The first is why the car won't charge now and this could be due to the on-board charger but I'd start by ruling out local factors by attempting to charge on a public charger or at another location using the granny charger. The second issue is the claim that the software can't be updated by which the dealer might have meant you already have the latest software version, otherwise it sounds to me more like BS than BMS. In principle your car is identical to many others and everyone else has been able to accept updates.

If you genuinely can't update software on your car or there is another problem that prevents charging that would be reason to reject the car, but dealer has an opportunity to fix first and I'd expect them to do so at any time within the warranty period.
Really sound advice !.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your Dad's ( your ) problem so very early in the life of his car.
Why should your car be any different to anybody else's ???.
You could even ask a friend or a kind neighbour if you could briefly plug in your "Granny" cable, to prove / disprove a fault with your Dad's house wiring ?.
I know you have your hands REALLY full at the moment, but when you visit the dealer again, would it be possible to get the dealer to print out a copy of the service bulletin that covers the BMS upgrade ?.
If so, would you very kindly upload it to this thread, that would be absolutely fantastic for other members trying to get their cars correctly sorted !.
One kind member has uploaded the SA017 service bulletin from MG that covers the HV fuse upgrade, but we don't have the BMS upgrade paperwork.
It is sad that we have to chase dealers to correctly carry out the necessary work on our cars, but written evidence is pretty hard to dismiss as I think you will agree !.
Good luck with your quest to get your Dad's car sorted real soon.
You sound like the type of chap who is not likely to give up any time soon.
Any help you are able to provide will be gratefully received.
Knowledge is power as they say !.
Good luck tomorrow.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
36 Posts
I'm currently having this battle regarding SA015, the BMS update as MG in Norwich have told me my VIN is excluded from it. I spoke to MG at length and they have told me to book it back in and ask the dealer to raise a technical case. Such a massive pain just to get an update, I've never had these problems with any other make of car and to be honest my after sales experience with MG has been extremely poor so far which is a shame because we love the car.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I'm currently having this battle regarding SA015, the BMS update as MG in Norwich have told me my VIN is excluded from it. I spoke to MG at length and they have told me to book it back in and ask the dealer to raise a technical case. Such a massive pain just to get an update, I've never had these problems with any other make of car and to be honest my after sales experience with MG has been extremely poor so far which is a shame because we love the car.
Extremely poor show from various parties here I think.
Arh ..... So are we to assume that SA015 is the MG service bulletin reference number for the BMS update number then !!!.
We are already 100% sure at this point that MG service bulletin SA017 is the HV Battery Fuse update reference number of course.
The plot thickens, somewhat.
It's like trying to swim through gravy really, battling between both MG and the dealerships, would you not agree.
It really should not be this hard ???.
Tail wagging the dog comes to mind here !.
Two words quickly spring to mind here folks ...
They are :- ACT and TOGETHER !.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I picked up my ZS EV at the end of November last year so I have been through the whole update process from the beginning!

At the beginning of May the dealer replaced the driver door wiring loom and re-routed it due to it potentially being exposed to water entering the door. Perhaps more recent deliveries do not require the loom replacement. The first BMS update was also carried out. After that the car can be charged overnight using the Zappi wall unit. Prior to this update timed charging was not possible.

In the first week of August the Comfort 2 (SA010?) update was done free of charge by the dealer. The bongs went, temperature displayed on infotainment screen and range remaining always shown. Bliss! Strangely though it displayed over 200 miles when charged to 100% as has been discussed elsewhere on the forum.

At the start of October I contacted the dealer as I was concerned about the stories of some cars stopping due to the HV fuse fault, The dealer knew about it and arranged to book it in. They said they were applying this to all new ZS EVs as they arrived in stock. The new BMS update (SA015), HV Fuse and a traction battery update (SA017) was also applied. It took them over an hour and a half as one of the updates failed. The range on full charge now indicated 154 miles (on Normal/Regen 3) so back to a more realistic GOM reading.

A few days later I discovered that the car would not charge on A/C unless the car was locked. At the end of October it had its first service and I mentioned the A/C charging problem. They installed the BMS update (SA015) again even though their system indicated that the update had been correctly installed. It failed again due to comms loss and finally was successful on the second attempt. The car now charges on A/C locked or unlocked.

In summary I believe some dealers may be saying updates are installed as that is indicated during the install, but on occasion the update may not be installed correctly. I also believe that some dealers are making up stories about the VIN number not requiring the update. There is time involved is these updates and perhaps some dealers are not willing to carry them out at their expense. I have been very lucky with my dealer as being one of the first to get the car from the dealer and the excellent mechanic was keen to learn and get it all correct.

In exchange for their time doing the updates I have spent some time with them discussing EVs and the MG ZS EV, charging infrastructure and my experience with the car. They have also contacted me a couple of times to ask me about the car or the charging networks so they can better advise potential clients.

I would keep pestering dealers asking them to re-install an update until the car works correctly. All cars no matter when purchased should now be able to A/C charge locked or unlocked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Spoke to my local dealer today and passed on the Reg.

They checked for available software against our car and got one match;

"Charging Management System Software" which allows the doors to be unlocked while charging which will suspend charging but providing the plug is not removed charging will resume after 60s. At least I think that is what was said.

Now I will contact Vic Young MG to ask if this is correct and if so why they didn't do it.

There will of course be a charge for this update which hopefully Vic Young MG will cover.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
To my knowledge the only update that might be customer chargeable to date is the Comfort 2, and even that is being covered by good dealers looking after their customers. You should not be charged for BMS updates, especially if it is to fix a fault.

No manufacturer wants to have to support multiple software versions . Best practice is to upgrade to latest version at service or when a fault is reported.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Spoke to my local dealer today and passed on the Reg.

They checked for available software against our car and got one match;

"Charging Management System Software" which allows the doors to be unlocked while charging which will suspend charging but providing the plug is not removed charging will resume after 60s. At least I think that is what was said.

Now I will contact Vic Young MG to ask if this is correct and if so why they didn't do it.

There will of course be a charge for this update which hopefully Vic Young MG will cover.
This sounds like the BMS update SO15 referred to by @RicM .
Can you ask them to confirm this is the case.
What about the HV fuse update SO17 ???.
Has this been done already.
Both of these should not be a cost to the customer, but covered under warranty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts