Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Correct if I'm wrong but I don't see a lot of discussion about accommodating older teenagers in the back of cars -- or even the issue of only carrying 4 in the i3 or the Ampera (I suspect that this is a comment on the ageing demography of a large number of EV owners).

But for me, although I share this "ageing demographic", this is a real issue. I desperately want an i3 but I feel guilty about forcing my two daughters aged 16 and 20 to do without real doors and fit in the back behind their 6 ft father.

So I have been very interested to hear about plans to launch a PHEV version of the new BMW 2 Series Active Tourer Hybrid in 2015. It's true it would lack the EV purity of the i3. But it would come with all the BMW technological options that are such a huge part of the i3's appeal.

The only problem, apart from the need to wait in longer for my first BMW, is that projected electric-only range is quoted at about 20 miles, which is so low as to discourage me from waiting at all.

Anyone else considering this option?

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
20 miles quoted range maybe 10-15 real world I guess? Not sure how worthwhile that is compared to an very efficient hybrid or ICE car, depends on your trips/usage patterns.
Yes - it hardly seems worth the bother! I'm hoping I've been misinformed..

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
@Tim Ostler

I have had 4 Adults in the Ampera many times, the rear seats are full Adult size (no squeezed in centre seat) and has a centre console with cup holders and the like (something you usually only find in top end limos like the Merc S class... ok it's not upto that quality, but it's still useful) I would add that rear headroom does become compromised at around 6ft. (where you'll find your head is under the hatch window rather than the roof).

Alternatively the Outlander PHEV might suit.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF N-Connecta 40kWh; Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
334 Posts
I looked at this car at a recent launch. I thought it would lend itself nicely to a PHEV, but the sale staff knew/admitted nothing about that sort of drivetrain...I walked out. I cannot imagine acquiring a car now that is not either BEV, REX or PHEV.

Reactions: Robwiz

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @smartie I have considered all options -- consistent with my additional filter, namely that I like the look of it! That unfortunately rules out the Outlander, but Passat might be an option -- the estate would certainly eliminate the spatial concerns. However it's a bit too big on the outside too. Meanwhile although the impact of the battery on 2 Series space is still an unknown quantity, Audi and Golf PHEVs have both taken a big hit in boot space - the Audi for instance has no greater luggage space than the i3 -- nor the legroom of the 2 Series, which is greater than any BMW short of a 5 Series.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Thanks @smartie Meanwhile although the impact of the battery on 2 Series space is still an unknown quantity
That's not *quite* the case as the 2 Series platform grew out of the 1 Series which gave birth to the Active E (no boot, but a lovely drive!). But the 2 Series Active Tourer doesn't share a platform with the rest of the 2s - it's lifted from the new 5-door Mini. I'm sure the good people of Munich have enough nous to fit ot all in if they're so inclined, given their two proto-attempts.

By the by, if a Mini EV is coming, please let it be the Paceman...

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Thanks @smartie I have considered all options -- consistent with my additional filter, namely that I like the look of it! That unfortunately rules out the Outlander, but Passat might be an option -- the estate would certainly eliminate the spatial concerns. However it's a bit too big on the outside too. Meanwhile although the impact of the battery on 2 Series space is still an unknown quantity, Audi and Golf PHEVs have both taken a big hit in boot space - the Audi for instance has no greater luggage space than the i3 -- nor the legroom of the 2 Series, which is greater than any BMW short of a 5 Series.
Hi Tim…….I see you don't like the looks of the Outlander but what is your issue with the Ampera. We have a Volt and my teenage daughters fit easily in the back, in fact my youngest's boyfriend is 6ft and fits without a problem. Mind you he probably knows if he complains he would have to walk instead:D

·
Registered
8,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry Andy I perhaps neglected to mention that one of the other things that troubles me about the i3 is that it only has 4 seats. I won't pretend that that is the only issue with the Ampera. I took one out for a day when I had some free Streetcar credits and, in comparison with my Audi A2, the sheer weight of the car put me off it as an urban runabout. However I can see that it is a good cruiser.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Sorry Andy I perhaps neglected to mention that one of the other things that troubles me about the i3 is that it only has 4 seats. I won't pretend that that is the only issue with the Ampera. I took one out for a day when I had some free Streetcar credits and, in comparison with my Audi A2, the sheer weight of the car put me off it as an urban runabout. However I can see that it is a good cruiser.
:confused:. One of the things that I really like about the Volt is IMO its a great urban cruiser, its very quiet and comftable but when you turn on Sports mode it goes like a bat out of hell

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
I know that the Volt is American - but are the Vauxhall and Opel versions made in the USA too?
Amperas are built in the same factory in the good old US of A and shipped over, one of the complaints on the GM Volt forum is that they like the look of the Ampera but they are not allowed to buy the changed parts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts