Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3.5 year old 225xe has 34k miles on the clock. The engine warning light came on during a long journey and it felt like the engine was running on 3 cylinders. The fault seemed to clear itself and the warning light went off again. I took it to my local BMW dealer and it turned out to be a problem with the VANOS which had caused a stuck valve which in turn damaged the high voltage wiring and some other components. The final bill was around £3200. BMW UK agreed to pay some of it as a goodwill gesture and my Autocare extended warranty covered some of the rest (annoyingly, it doesn't cover stuck valves!) and I was left with £500 to pay so I reckon I got off lightly. The car was off the road for 2 weeks getting fixed. This has given me a bit of a fright as it appears that the complicated nature of PHEVs means that if anything goes wrong it's more likely to be complicated and expensive. So I think now is the time to make the jump to a full EV, probably an ID3. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of problem with their 225xe?

·
Registered
40 Leaf
230 Posts
My 3.5 year old 225xe has 34k miles on the clock. The engine warning light came on during a long journey and it felt like the engine was running on 3 cylinders. The fault seemed to clear itself and the warning light went off again. I took it to my local BMW dealer and it turned out to be a problem with the VANOS which had caused a stuck valve which in turn damaged the high voltage wiring and some other components. The final bill was around £3200. BMW UK agreed to pay some of it as a goodwill gesture and my Autocare extended warranty covered some of the rest (annoyingly, it doesn't cover stuck valves!) and I was left with £500 to pay so I reckon I got off lightly. The car was off the road for 2 weeks getting fixed. This has given me a bit of a fright as it appears that the complicated nature of PHEVs means that if anything goes wrong it's more likely to be complicated and expensive. So I think now is the time to make the jump to a full EV, probably an ID3. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this sort of problem with their 225xe?
I had a 225xe that had been remapped by its previous owner, BMW sold it to me like this and worryingly were oblivious to it until it suffered total engine failure with only 28k miles on the clock.

It seems BMWs service departments software could not detect it had been remapped.

I’d make sure the “fasta data“ on your vehicle checks out if you purchased it used.

BMW in Derby never managed to exercise its demons.

I was nearly landed with a £12,500 bill for a new engine when mine let go.

If it’s started to play up I’d seriously consider getting rid, BMW don’t seem to be able to diagnose issues very well in my experience.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting! I bought it used when it was 18 months old & ex-lease, it had 22k miles on the clock then. Definitely time to let it go, it has given me a bad fright.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I would consider switching it for something else. There are some good PCH deals available atm. BTW I thought a 225xe only had 3 cylinders...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Handing ours back after 14.5k troublefree miles. Got the ultracheap lease deal 2 yrs ago and ran on the lease at same price for 4 more months.

In spring was offered a "price to purchase" of ~£20.5k - when I asked last month it was now over £23.5k...

First service due so don't fancy paying for that just to hand it back.

Also how do BMW make VANOS so fragile? I have run 3 Honda VTEC past 100k miles - one of them (a petrol CRV) is 15yr old and past 220k with its current owner - not a whimper of trouble with the VTEC.

Honda used to advertise their VTEC petrol as "2 million sold and 0 warranty claims on the VTEC" or somesuch.

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
it turned out to be a problem with the VANOS which had caused a stuck valve which in turn damaged the high voltage wiring and some other components. The final bill was around £3200.
That doesn't sound possible, and certainly isn't consistent with such a "small" bill.
The BMW/Mini hybrid system is an unreliable box of tricks and best avoided.

·
Premium Member
11,462 Posts
I guess £500 was a "result" but this stuff just should not happen and it really makes me cross about the (in their pockets) car press in UK lauding how great these "quality" German brands are. It is just BS.

I dont think we have never heard of anyone on here with an Ampera or Outlander having a massive bill at that sort of age or miles, even if covered by warranty. And Toyota Full Hybrids aren't simple, but are incredibly reliable, so there is no excuse.

Good luck with what you decide to get next. We already have someone with a brand new ID3 back at VW with them scratching their heads... Another "quality" German brand according to WhatCar...

Anyway, rant over for now :LOL:

Reactions: Jon72

·
Registered
40 Leaf
230 Posts
Toyota Full Hybrids aren't simple, but are incredibly reliable
They certainly are, I’ve had 3 and none of them have ever skipped a beat.

But you’d expect that, Toyota have been making hybrids for years.

In contrast my BMWs reliability was appalling, the reason I went with the leaf for my first fully electric vehicle is because they have had a decade to shake them down.

I use my cars like a taxi, so far my leaf has been bomb proof.

I would be uneasy about buying any vehicle that was the first folly into an EV by its manufacturer.

It’s no fun being the real world endurance tester for a manufacturer and paying for the privilege.

Today I saw a brand new iD3 has died and VW are scratching their heads.

Thats way too much grief when you rely on a vehicle.

I plan on sticking with trailing edge technology, bleeding edge is way too much trouble!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts