Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
You are doing really well to get 14 miles. The best I have achieved so far is around 11. This works out around 1.5 miles per kWhr (full charge is around 7.5 kWhr).
I would be very interested to hear what you get on your long journeys with or without charging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You are doing really well to get 14 miles. The best I have achieved so far is around 11. This works out around 1.5 miles per kWhr (full charge is around 7.5 kWhr).
I would be very interested to hear what you get on your long journeys with or without charging.
I shall report back soon. Our long journey will not include any charging. Type2 with the xe when you want to get somewhere is no fun. However I can recharge overnight at my arrival point and top up for any local journeys while we're at our destination.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Charging 7.5kwh .. and only 14/11 miles ?

Sound strange .. I can load no more then 9kwh on my PHEV (12kwh pack but only 70% usable), and I manage up to 40km or ~25miles

It is strange that a heavy SUV 4x4 (also in EV mode) does 2.7miles per kWh .. and BMW only 1.5 .. almost 2:1 difference

PS: I have a BMW x1 in the past (a great car, like all the BMW I had and I have) ... odd that X1 PHEV is only available for china market .. but if it has short range and no 4x4 in EV mode .. also X1 PHEV is not for my needs

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know how much is usable of the xe's 7.6kWh battery (anybody?). Let's assume the xe has the same usable percentage as the Outlander (70%), then that would make it 5.32 kWh usable.

I tend to get around 2.4 mi/kWh on most journeys, I'd say. This works out as 12.77 mi. Close enough.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks .. now it makes more sense

I was not aware about the battery size in the 225xe ... yes if the pack is 7.6kwh .. and no more then 70% can be usable.... it make only 5.3kwh of usable energy in EV mode .. (On my PHEV I can see how many kwh has been push in on the last charge, so I was assuming when stated 7.6kwh it was based on the car information shown on the dash)

2.4 or 2.7 miles/kwh .. are quite close

Definitely Lithium cells used in the packs must be different .. Mitsubishi allow only 5C discharge (60kw allowed from a 12kwh pack) .. possibly BMW allow a 10C discharge (76kw allowed from 7.6kwh pack) ... this is my guess .. I bet 225xe does not have only 35kw power in EV mode .. it will be too weak for the car size .. already 60kw on the Outlander is a bit "slim"

Anyhow .. quite a odd decision ... more then PHEV is looking a standard hybrid ... I even think that ideally a PHEV should have more then 15kwh pack .. for grant an EV range for the most common daily commute .. that can be consider up to 50km a day ...

Per tesla number ,.. less then 150USD per kwh ... 15kwh should cost less then 2250 USD ... not a big investment or a big difference in cost vs half size of the pack .. +/- 1000 USD in the car price does not make a big difference in care that cost well over 35k USD

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know how much is usable of the xe's 7.6kWh battery (anybody?). Let's assume the xe has the same usable percentage as the Outlander (70%), then that would make it 5.32 kWh usable.

I tend to get around 2.4 mi/kWh on most journeys, I'd say. This works out as 12.77 mi. Close enough.

I agree that the normal statement is that around 5.7 of the 7.6 kWhr battery capacity is useable. But I have an power meter on the 240v socket to the charging lead and it indicates around 7.5 kWhr is used to fully re-charge the battery from its discharged (4%) state when I arrive home. I have checked the power meter with a clamp meter and it is accurate. Which means that around 1.8 kWhr is going somewhere . . . ?

On a completely different topic, is anyone else having a problem with the BMW Connected App for the iphone 6 ? Mine has stopped working completely, just shows the opening screen before entering the PIN then the display goes to the iphone home screen ?

·
Registered
173 Posts
On a completely different topic, is anyone else having a problem with the BMW Connected App for the iphone 6 ? Mine has stopped working completely, just shows the opening screen before entering the PIN then the display goes to the iphone home screen ?
Yep it's currently buggered. Only affecting iPhone users. An app update is due by tomorrow afternoon apparently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
AC power is more then what end in the battery

80% efficiency is relative normal from AC into battery DC charge
Thank you for your reply.
I was not aware that the domestic AC charger box was so inefficient.
I am using the lowest current setting (6 amps)

·
9,719 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
I was not aware that the domestic AC charger box was so inefficient.
I am using the lowest current setting (6 amps)
The box on your wall is just a switch the charger is in the car, the efficiency improves if you increase the rate.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The box on your wall is just a switch the charger is in the car, the efficiency improves if you increase the rate.
Yes, the box is just a very very expensive switch .. which in my book is a total waste .. a simple cable would have done the job.

Interesting .. I was not aware that higher current are more efficient then lower current. I would have/still assume the opposite
Anyhow, it can be charger to charger specific

Anyhow 80% efficiency in the charging process with an AC source, is more or less what should be expected

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have now returned from a 400 mile roundtrip to North Wales. The way out was 1/2 motorway and 1/2 A & B roads. The way back was 80% motorway. About 30 miles locally were done purely electric, as I was able to charge at our holiday cottage. Both journeys were done with a full boot and 4 people in the car.

On the outward trip of 170 miles I managed to get 54.4 mpg (mainly in EcoPro). Journey back (200 miles) was at 50.2 mpg and all in Comfort, at an average motorway speed of 65-75 mph.

Just before arrival in Wales, I had an error message on the dashboard, telling me that Auto Start/Stop is not working anymore. At this point, SOC was 3%, I was in EcoPro with combustion engine on. At the next 2 roundabouts, the combustion engine would not come on and by the time SOC was at 1%, I was forced to pull over and stop the car (Start/Stop button). After restarting it, the ICE kicked in straight away. This hasn't happened again, but I will get this checked out at my dealership.

The car drives and handles beautifully. The ride is so smooth that at one point the rest of the family fell asleep. Maybe I drive like an old person after all! ;-)

The consumption is what I expected on longer journeys of 50 miles and more. 75-80% of the annual mileage in our xe will be local, where I will get 120-140 mpg or even electric only. The xe is also only used if our i3 is not available.

Overall, I can say that now around 80% of all our annual journeys are tailpipe emission-free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have now returned from a 400 mile roundtrip to North Wales. The way out was 1/2 motorway and 1/2 A & B roads. The way back was 80% motorway. About 30 miles locally were done purely electric, as I was able to charge at our holiday cottage. Both journeys were done with a full boot and 4 people in the car.

On the outward trip of 170 miles I managed to get 54.4 mpg (mainly in EcoPro). Journey back (200 miles) was at 50.2 mpg and all in Comfort, at an average motorway speed of 65-75 mph.

Just before arrival in Wales, I had an error message on the dashboard, telling me that Auto Start/Stop is not working anymore. At this point, SOC was 3%, I was in EcoPro with combustion engine on. At the next 2 roundabouts, the combustion engine would not come on and by the time SOC was at 1%, I was forced to pull over and stop the car (Start/Stop button). After restarting it, the ICE kicked in straight away. This hasn't happened again, but I will get this checked out at my dealership.

The car drives and handles beautifully. The ride is so smooth that at one point the rest of the family fell asleep. Maybe I drive like an old person after all! ;-)

The consumption is what I expected on longer journeys of 50 miles and more. 75-80% of the annual mileage in our xe will be local, where I will get 120-140 mpg or even electric only. The xe is also only used if our i3 is not available.

Overall, I can say that now around 80% of all our annual journeys are tailpipe emission-free.

Thank you for the report.
Your fuel consumption figures for a long journey are good. Better than I expected to get myself. I was expecting about 40 mpg on a long run with a depleted battery at 75 mph indicated on the motorway . . .
I agree with your comments on the quality of the drive and also the very low noise even running on the combustion engine. Only complaint from the wife has been the hardness of the leather seats (and the absence of seat heaters) . . .

·
Registered
215 Posts
50mpg on a long run is good, and highlights the benefit of cruising at 65 / 75. On the weekend test drive I did, I got around 37mpg average for a 220-mile motorway dash, but that was at a cruise-controlled 81, and I was driving, er, enthusiastically the rest of the time to see how the car performed. I found the 225xe goes very well indeed in 'sport' mode, which combines the ICE and electric shove.

One thing I did notice about the long motorway cruise was the battery recharging capability. I ran in pure EV mode pretty much all the way to the motorway, and had about 15% battery charge remaining when I got onto the M60. By the time we came off the motorway after 100 miles, the battery was at 55%. This was in auto eDrive / Comfort mode, not 'battery save.' So a longer motorway run using mostly petrol power does trickle-charge the battery pack quite well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
One thing I did notice about the long motorway cruise was the battery recharging capability. I ran in pure EV mode pretty much all the way to the motorway, and had about 15% battery charge remaining when I got onto the M60. By the time we came off the motorway after 100 miles, the battery was at 55%. This was in auto eDrive / Comfort mode, not 'battery save.' So a longer motorway run using mostly petrol power does trickle-charge the battery pack quite well.
That's interesting. One thing I haven't tested yet is whether Sport mode keeps both engines going, i.e. 4wd. Is there a way to "force" 4wd, if SOC is high enough?

·
Registered
215 Posts
That's interesting. One thing I haven't tested yet is whether Sport mode keeps both engines going, i.e. 4wd. Is there a way to "force" 4wd, if SOC is high enough?
Based on my limited experience, Sport mode does keep the ICE running at all times (it will shut off when stopped at traffic lights etc, but as soon as you touch the throttle in Sport mode, the ICE restarts for maximum performance).

From what I can gather, this means that you'll get 4WD even if the battery is at minimum SOC, because the ICE is sending charge to the battery to save it from being exhausted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello I just took delivery of a 225xe Saturday after it arrived in port Wednesday. I am the first owner in New Zealand or Australia and really enjoying the car.

I had been looking at an i3 until BMW announced the 225xe which works better for me.

Their's no subsides in New Zealand buying a battery car so they're not cheap. Their's only 1,100 battery any type of car in NZ.

Plugin Hybrid's are going to be allowed in carpool and bus only lanes so this will make it a lot faster getting around Auckland. I also don't like the way oil suppliers hold us to ransom over its price.

I do have the same question as most have asked about BMW's wall box.

I work from home and travel to meetings a couple of times a day as well private use evenings. I would like a faster charge option as I'm finding it takes 7 hours on 24 volt to charge.

If it's true BMW's wall box takes 2.5 hours this would work for me.

I'm not worried about the cost of the wall box I just want to get the maximum use out of the battery. The cost seems minimal over the cost of the 225xe.
Hello I just took delivery of a 225xe Saturday after it arrived in port Wednesday. I am the first owner in New Zealand or Australia and really enjoying the car.

I had been looking at an i3 until BMW announced the 225xe which works better for me.

Their's no subsides in New Zealand buying a battery car so they're not cheap. Their's only 1,100 battery any type of car in NZ.

Plugin Hybrid's are going to be allowed in carpool and bus only lanes so this will make it a lot faster getting around Auckland. I also don't like the way oil suppliers hold us to ransom over its price.

I do have the same question as most have asked about BMW's wall box.

I work from home and travel to meetings a couple of times a day as well private use evenings. I would like a faster charge option as I'm finding it takes 7 hours on 24 volt to charge.

If it's true BMW's wall box takes 2.5 hours this would work for me.

I'm not worried about the cost of the wall box I just want to get the maximum use out of the battery. The cost seems minimal over the cost of the 225xe.
I’ve had a wall box fitted (£799 but with a £500 government subsidy so paid £300)
Mine is a 7kw charger and can fully charge in 2.5 hours. I tend to just need a top up mostly as I also charge at work.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts