Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am planning on ordering a BMW 225xe, and was wondering if somebody could help me with some general doubts please?

1) Regarding the consumption, I believe the 140+ mpg announced by BMW is a bit optimistic...how much on average does it actually do? Let's say considering that it will be fully charged once or twice a day, and will be used mostly for short commutes (approximately 35 miles per day).

2) In terms of charging, I've read in other forums that you can charge it with a regular socket. Is that correct? Does it come with any cables?

3) Also in terms of charging, I imagine it stops charging when the battery is full, therefore is it OK to leave it plugged in all night?

4) As for the sat nav, does the basic version also come with real time updates and does it really work? ;)
I do have to travel for work quite frequently so sat nav is a must to me, however I'm not convinced that I need the professional version as I understood it only offers a different display and some other functions which wouldn't really improve traffic information, however if anybody has it and thinks it is good for frequent travellers, please let me know.;)

Thank you.

PS: Apologies for the basic questions...this would be my first EV and I don't know anybody who owns one already, so it's all very new to me. :D

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi, I have a 330e but hopefully my answers will help you.

1) My commute is 15 miles each way and charge at home only. I'm averaging 68 mpg overall.
2) & 3)Yes, a 13 amp "granny cable" come with the car but I have never used it. OK to leave in plugged in.
4) I have Business Nav which come with RTTI etc. As far as I know, Pro Nav will give you prettier maps, split screen, touch screen and a 20gb hard drive to store media. Not sure if Pro Nav will give you better routes. I went for electric seats instead of Pro Nav.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
On thing to note about the 20GB hard drive in the 'pro' satnav is that it compresses any music you load onto it.
I don't like compressed music, so I only used it for the kids' music.
It did have some other nice functions, like the internet connection etc.
It would read out news stories to you in the satnav voice etc.
No denying the widescreen satnav looked better than the smaller one too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, I have a 330e but hopefully my answers will help you.

1) My commute is 15 miles each way and charge at home only. I'm averaging 68 mpg overall.
2) & 3)Yes, a 13 amp "granny cable" come with the car but I have never used it. OK to leave in plugged in.
4) I have Business Nav which come with RTTI etc. As far as I know, Pro Nav will give you prettier maps, split screen, touch screen and a 20gb hard drive to store media. Not sure if Pro Nav will give you better routes. I went for electric seats instead of Pro Nav.

Cheers

Thank you!! Really helpful.

·
Registered
131 Posts
FYI there’s a BMW forum that’s seen by more owners so that’s a better place to post but in the meantime...
1) Regarding the consumption, I believe the 140+ mpg announced by BMW is a bit optimistic...how much on average does it actually do? Let's say considering that it will be fully charged once or twice a day, and will be used mostly for short commutes (approximately 35 miles per day).
The battery range is very dependent on the type of journey so lots of stop/start from speed, hills and out of town speeds will reduce range compared to an even 35mph on the flat but you’ll get something like 10-15 miles in winter and about 15 to 20 miles in summer. If 35 miles is for the whole day and you can charge twice you may get the whole thing on battery in summer. At 70mph the petrol consumption is about 45mph in summer so an average of >100mpg would be doable starting from a charged car and a journey of around 20 miles at motorway speeds.
The bigger challenge is not engaging sport mode and wiping out that plonker who’s been annoying you at lights.
2) In terms of charging, I've read in other forums that you can charge it with a regular socket. Is that correct? Does it come with any cables?
As mentioned you get the domestic charger for free and it can charge from flat in about 3 hours.
3) Also in terms of charging, I imagine it stops charging when the battery is full, therefore is it OK to leave it plugged in all night?
Yep and in the winter you can defrost the car more efficiently if you leave it plugged in.
4) As for the sat nav, does the basic version also come with real time updates and does it really work? ;)
I do have to travel for work quite frequently so sat nav is a must to me, however I'm not convinced that I need the professional version as I understood it only offers a different display and some other functions which wouldn't really improve traffic information, however if anybody has it and thinks it is good for frequent travellers, please let me know.;)
I have the pro one because I can no longer live without a head up display :)
Have a look in the BMW forum and you’ll see more info in real world consumption.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I am planning on ordering a BMW 225xe, and was wondering if somebody could help me with some general doubts please?

Thank you.

PS: Apologies for the basic questions...this would be my first EV and I don't know anybody who owns one already, so it's all very new to me. :D
[/QUOTE
I travel 20 miles a day for work and do this on electric alone. I usually too it up at work using a standard plus socket but at home I have an external ev charger.
The bmw can be programmed to charge at specific times so I do mine at 3am when my electric is cheapest.
The charger does automatically stop when fully charged.
My sat nav works out the best echo routes and you have to put the car in echo mode to work with the sat nav. I prefer Waze on my phone, but I use the bmw satnav when I want the computer to give me the best mpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
I travel 20 miles a day for work and do this on electric alone. I usually top it up at work using a standard plug socket but at home I have an external ev charger.
The bmw can be programmed to charge at specific times so I do mine at 3am when my electric is cheapest.
The charger does automatically stop when fully charged.
My sat nav works out the best echo routes and you have to put the car in echo mode to work with the sat nav. I prefer Waze on my phone, but I use the bmw satnav when I want the computer to give me the best mpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts