Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got a 330e secondhand but the only cable the previous owner supplied was a type2 to type2 cable. Currently I don't have a charging point installed although I'm going to get one.

However, for the time being I'm going to want to charge it via a 3-pin plug. Do I need to get a BMW official one or are there any other (ideally cheaper) brands that would be acceptable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No need to buy the BMW one unless you really want to. Lots on eBay and Amazon, search for "evse type 2" or similar. If you're feeling braver you can get one on AliExpress for less than £100...that might be a step too far for some though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've just got a 330e secondhand but the only cable the previous owner supplied was a type2 to type2 cable. Currently I don't have a charging point installed although I'm going to get one.

However, for the time being I'm going to want to charge it via a 3-pin plug. Do I need to get a BMW official one or are there any other (ideally cheaper) brands that would be acceptable?

Thanks.
As been said, no need to buy BMW original. In fact, I'd NOT buy the original at all because the cable is too short and stiff and because it is a 10A limited type. I'd buy one with 8m cable and 16A. If your plug is only supporting 10A or less, you can always set a limit in the car, but if the wall plug supports 16A you NEVER get full power unless the brick also supports 16A, like this one.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,671 Posts
As been said, no need to buy BMW original. In fact, I'd NOT buy the original at all because the cable is too short and stiff and because it is a 10A limited type. I'd buy one with 8m cable and 16A. If your plug is only supporting 10A or less, you can always set a limit in the car, but if the wall plug supports 16A you NEVER get full power unless the brick also supports 16A, like this one.
Maybe, and I sort of agree with you (not sure why you've picked on this supplier who doesn't even seem to sell 3 pin plug versions?) but you have to be ultra careful then not to overload the plug.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Maybe, and I sort of agree with you (not sure why you've picked on this supplier who doesn't even seem to sell 3 pin plug versions?) but you have to be ultra careful then not to overload the plug.
I live in Sweden and I have their Halo charge box. They are making very good EV charging related products. I am pretty sure they are selling UK versions as well.

Actually, regardless which sort of brick you are using, you ALWAYS must be careful with that and should ONLY charge regularly from a wall socket if you have a dedicated circuit, or if you had it inspected by a qualified electrician who approved daily use of your socket for charging. Even if you are using a 10A version, at 10A the heat can cause fire if the the wires are not good enough, and if you have more than the charger on the same circuit breaker and then connect a kettle or a vacuum cleaner your circuit fuse may pop. So it's not a good idea to start charging from just any wall socket, and definitely a VERY poor idea to use an extension cord if you don't have a socket near the car.

I think when people are buying chargeable cars they should take the electrical installation part also in consideration, and add a proper wall box to charge from. The price of that, including installation done by a qualified electrician is peanuts compared to the price of the car or the consequences of an amateur installation or use of extension cords. The brick is OK to use but it assumes a socket which is made for high load and regular charging use, as well as that the brick itself is quality product. Anyway, I would NEVER buy those things via eBay or AliExpress or any other cheapo supplier. If you can't afford a charger you should not be driving a BMW or any other EV or PHEV. That's NOT where you should save the money, you should save on the petrol. The cost of a high quality charger (wall box or brick) plus installation costs is saved after 3-4 months of commuting to work in my case, so it is really peanuts.

I am using the brick which is supplied with my wife's Leaf, made by Panasonic. It is better than the original BMW because it has a longer cable, less stiff and easier to fix it on my carport wall, but if she didn't have that car, or would want to have it in the car I'd buy one from Charge Amp. If you are interested, you can always ask them a question about where you can buy their products with British 3-pin plug. I am sure you'd quickly get an answer, they are very fast in answering support questions and have qualified people, the developers, in Sweden. I am not saying they are the only one with good chargers, but I like their products. Otherwise the only disadvantage of the Panasonic brick I am using is that it is only a 10A version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts