Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2020 330e for almost a month now and loving it, having covered 800 miles and still with over a quarter of the original tank of fuel left!

One irritation is that the charging seems to occasionally reset itself. I am using the granny charger plugged into a dedicated 3 pin plug socket on its own circuit. In car I have the charging set to 10A which is sufficient for my needs.

On a few occasions though on arriving home I have plugged in and, on checking on my phone app find the charge time to be 10 hours plus!. getting back into the car I find that the charge has reset to 6A. Swapping it back to 10A it then happily charges at the enhanced rate, reducing the estimated time by 5 hours!

Having watched out for this now, it seems to only happen when the battery is all but depleted on a run. Plugging back in with 20% or more of charge and it stays at 10A. Doing the same with 3% and it drops down.

Does anyone else experience this and if so understand why it happens?

Thanks

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
45 Posts
My 530e seems to reset to 6A if I change the charging schedule after turning it off when arriving home, but it seems to remember the selected rate if I just turn it off and plug it in. It does seem like it's over cautious/paranoid in resetting the the rate to the 'safe' level more often that it really needs to, but at least it's the safe option.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 530e seems to reset to 6A if I change the charging schedule after turning it off when arriving home, but it seems to remember the selected rate if I just turn it off and plug it in. It does seem like it's over cautious/paranoid in resetting the the rate to the 'safe' level more often that it really needs to, but at least it's the safe option.
Thanks for sharing that, but I haven’t used the scheduled charging feature. I just plug it in whenever it’s parked on the drive and leave it to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts