Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 330e and love it, i need to extend the 3 pin charging lead to reach my car in my garage, I've read its not wise to use standard extension cable but wondered can i use the 'public charging station' cable as an extension lead?

If not can you recommend safe extensions leads

Thanks to all

·
Registered
747 Posts
You'll likely get lots of opinion about using granny charging long term, extension leads, etc...so, always do your own due diligence and make sure you keep an eye on things. My experience is that a good quality, fully unwound extension lead is fine. ToughLeads are a good brand to look out for. Most likely point of trouble is the socket the extension lead is plugged into. Drawing high current for long periods stresses things, so check the temperature of the plug when charging regularly in case things start to overheat.

Using the Type 2 public charging lead as an extension won't work, there are signals exchanged between the car and the charge point that rely on the cable between the two being as supplied.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll likely get lots of opinion about using granny charging long term, extension leads, etc...so, always do your own due diligence and make sure you keep an eye on things. My experience is that a good quality, fully unwound extension lead is fine. ToughLeads are a good brand to look out for. Most likely point of trouble is the socket the extension lead is plugged into. Drawing high current for long periods stresses things, so check the temperature of the plug when charging regularly in case things start to overheat.

Using the Type 2 public charging lead as an extension won't work, there are signals exchanged between the car and the charge point that rely on the cable between the two being as supplied.
That’s great and thank you, some major life changes happening so need short term fix for 6 months, huge help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would you add an RCD on this cable for the just in case, or does that affect the charging?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Would you add an RCD on this cable for the just in case, or does that affect the charging?
Yes you can and there is an option with RCD available for purchase as well.

Reactions: GrahamFlisher

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the above linked suggestion with the RCD inline. It lives outside (well plug end is indoors) and is connected to my granny all day every day in all weathers, hasn't suffered or shown any sign of wear in ~5 months. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the above linked suggestion with the RCD inline. It lives outside (well plug end is indoors) and is connected to my granny all day every day in all weathers, hasn't suffered or shown any sign of wear in ~5 months. Highly recommend.
great news thanks for taking the time to comment

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
I'd get the inline RCD. The letter box connection thing is pretty handy too if you think you'd ever plan to use socket in the house.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts