Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
There are BEVs that are available at similar purchase prices to your BMW that will have lower running costs. Why have you chosen the BMW?

·
Registered
7 Posts
There are BEVs that are available at similar purchase prices to your BMW that will have lower running costs. Why have you chosen the BMW?

Electric chargers are not many n easily available , secondly charging takes alot more time than fueling. So i still prefer phev but wish it would come with more milage on electric. I hvnt driven full electric car yet but i think milage is not real what they say on adds .

·
Registered
75 Posts

dk6780 said:

such as? I looked long and hard for anything even close. I would love to hear your recommendations. Criteria : max £16k, fast, max 3 years old/60k miles, range over 300 miles at high speeds, fun to drive.

There is no BEV that I know of with the same combination of price (£16k at 2 years/40k miles), range (worst case 350 miles before 2 minute refuelling) and performance. I only wish it could have a proper gearbox : I hate automatics especially low speed manoeuvring on hills (I live in Worcestershire and street parking on hills in tight spaces can be a very jerky affair).
I only drive 10-12k miles per year, much of it with short journeys but a significant number of 300+ mile trips at motorway+ speeds and no opportunity to charge without serious inconvenience. I have a regular trip where I leave home at 4.30 AM and return late at night, 5-6 hours fast driving and I can’t charge at the destination. And I am damned if I will add 30 or more minutes to charge en route, or spend over £30K on a car. And I like the 250bhp and the ability to ‘make good progress’ early in the morning. I would like a Tesla but they are far more expensive, even at 6 years old and I probably couldn’t do that trip on a single charge. The BMW works brilliantly for me. The newer model with the bigger battery would also be good but is unaffordable for now.
All recommendations gratefully received for my next change of car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve done a small non scientific test between eco pro and comfort. Eco pro is best when you’re not demanding anything from the 330e (which with 250bhp is always tempting!), so pootling around town, cruising on the motorway etc... but if you want the acceleration on a slip road then it’s more efficient to get up to speed quickly in comfort, then switch to eco when you’re done... obviously the eco pro mode is there to reduce the hit from a heavy right foot, personally I find comfort more far more responsive, but Sport brings the biggest smile to my face.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Still hoping for a sensible suggestion for a replacement for the BMW 330e

wannabe
Registered

Joined Dec 17, 2018
75 Posts
#24 15 d ago

dk6780 said:

my reply:
such as? I looked long and hard for anything even close. I would love to hear your recommendations. Criteria : max £16k, fast, max 3 years old/60k miles, range over 300 miles at high speeds, fun to drive.

There is no BEV that I know of with the same combination of price (£16k at 2 years/40k miles), range (worst case 350 miles before 2 minute refuelling) and performance. I only wish it could have a proper gearbox : I hate automatics especially low speed manoeuvring on hills (I live in Worcestershire and street parking on hills in tight spaces can be a very jerky affair).
I only drive 10-12k miles per year, much of it with short journeys but a significant number of 300+ mile trips at motorway+ speeds and no opportunity to charge without serious inconvenience. I have a regular trip where I leave home at 4.30 AM and return late at night, 5-6 hours fast driving and I can’t charge at the destination. And I am damned if I will add 30 or more minutes to charge en route, or spend over £30K on a car. And I like the 250bhp and the ability to ‘make good progress’ early in the morning. I would like a Tesla but they are far more expensive, even at 6 years old and I probably couldn’t do that trip on a single charge. The BMW works brilliantly for me. The newer model with the bigger battery would also be good but is unaffordable for now.
All recommendations gratefully received for my next change of car.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts