Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just taken delivery of a 330e, a car I first test drove in March alongside the i3. I was impressed with the car but, at the time, I thought the i3 was the better bet (it is even more impressive in many ways).

I also considered a Lexus IS300h, a completely different kind of hybrid. Very capable but not a performance car.

I became disillusioned with the 330e when I read about its mpg claims and the real world figures reported. But I eventually decided that I was missing the point.

Hybrid cars make most sense financially for company car drivers. However, if you do a lot of short journeys, a hybrid can still stack up as you will be making the most efficient use of the electric power.

The 330e is almost silent in operation and the transfer from battery power to petrol power when it happens is only noticeable by looking at the instrument cluster. It is that smooth and quiet. Plus, the combined petrol and electric power give this 4 cylinder 2 litre car an awesome turn of speed. It is a joy to drive.

I shall be interested to see what kind of mpg I get over time. I realize it won't be especially impressive for longer journeys and it might be better to do those in my diesel X1. Then again, if I am in the driving seat, I might be prepared to pay for a bit more fuel just to get the speed and quietness. I won't be disappointed if I achieve about the same as in my X1. I will feel that I have future-proofed the uncertainties about diesel as a road fuel without serious compromise on fuel cost.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hybrid cars make most sense financially for company car drivers. However, if you do a lot of short journeys, a hybrid can still stack up as you will be making the most efficient use of the electric power.

I will feel that I have future-proofed the uncertainties about diesel as a road fuel without serious compromise on fuel cost.
These are the reasons for my getting a 225xe as a company car. I'm saving over £1000 per year on BIK tax, and I can get to work and back using less than 50% of the battery's charge, even using Max eDrive mode so I can keep up with the traffic on the dual carriageway which is part of my commute, without the petrol engine kicking in.

And it really does shift in 'Sport' mode too :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
I agree that these PHEVs are complete company car tax dodges. What home chargers have you guys got for your BMWs?
For mine (225xe), I'm just using a standard 13A plug socket. Fully charges the battery from around 20% capacity in less than 3 hours (because the car only has a relatively small battery). From memory the genuine BMW high-output wallbox does the charge in 2 hours, so it doesn't save a huge amount of time.

My order took 4 months from paperwork to collection.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that these PHEVs are complete company car tax dodges. What home chargers have you guys got for your BMWs?
I am just using the standard 13amp lead that comes with the car at present. The car can only use a maximum of 3.7kW which is the most basic Type 2 charger but it only reduces the charge time by about an hour (I'm told). The only reason I would shell out for a charger is to future proof my house whilst the government grant exists. I have posted elsewhere on this forum asking why the chargers are so incredibly expensive. Maybe they will drop in price as EVs become more common.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, how long did you have to wait for delivery please?
I was very lucky to find a nearly new car for sale. I committed on Friday and it was delivered to me on Saturday. And they had to drive it about 150 miles to a dealership near me. Customer service? Can't complain.

I used the Used Car section of the BMW website to track mine down. You won't find many and if, like me, you're bored with black and white cars, the choice will be even more limited.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What spec and colour did you get, Simon E? I've got one on factory order that was scheduled for production next week but looks as though it has been put back 2 months+ :mad: Waiting for the the leasing company to confirm if true through their dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What spec and colour did you get, Simon E? I've got one on factory order that was scheduled for production next week but looks as though it has been put back 2 months+ :mad: Waiting for the the leasing company to confirm if true through their dealer.
Nominally, it is the Sport model, which is fairly devoid of toys. However, mine came with leather seats which are not standard on the Sport. The colour is a very deep metallic blue which looks almost black from a distance. It's a gorgeous colour close up though.

I would have liked a reversing camera, pale leather heated seats, and an upgraded audio system. But I'm not unhappy with the compromises I have had to make.

My impression is that BMW have just released a slew of these cars to dealerships who simply buy them in and retail them on. I had a number to choose from around the country. If you cannot wait another two months and can cancel the order on the basis of failure to deliver, you could take a look around. They may not be available for very long though, at least until the start of the next quarter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've got one on factory order that was scheduled for production next week but looks as though it has been put back 2 months+ :mad: Waiting for the the leasing company to confirm if true through their dealer.
When I was confirming the delivery date on mine (I ordered in March), the dealer mentioned that delivery dates on cars ordered only a couple of weeks after mine, had been put back to September / October. He didn't know why. Presumably some production hold-up

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thing is, the dates can change at any time. I was overjoyed to find that mine moved from 1100 Scheduled to 1200 Scheduled for Production last week for week 28 production (10/7 which is next week). Imaging my horror when early this week the status moved to week 39 production (25/9) and week 42 delivery (16/10). Mentioned it to the leasing company which appears to have had an impact as it's now moved to week 32 production (6/8).

Was told that it was moved back due to August factory shut down but I question this as there must be huge orders for the usual 1st September deliveries due to the number plate change. My new production date also debunks that notion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts