Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

I recently aquired an F30 330e which is my first BMW and first PHEV.

So far I've been might impressed with it, I've had it nearly a month and I've still got half a tank of fuel. I can drive almost everywhere on electric power despite its woeful range (which I knew about ahead of time)

Anyway, today I went to drive to work anf unusually it fired up the motor when I started it.
When I pressed the max edrive button, it said it was unavailable.

Anyone know why this might be. The battery was fully charged.

My only theory is that the motor runs so infrequently that the 12V lead acid starter battery had gone flat and needed a charge from the alternator?

After about 2 miles it let me put it in max E again for the rest of journey.

Any ideas?

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
619 Posts
I had a 740e for two years. This happens when any of:

• 12V battery requires charging
  • Electrical load is high (eg heating, heated windows etc)
  • Traction battery is flat
  • It's cold (<about 3 degrees IIRC)
  • You're in Sport mode
  • You're in manual shift mode
There may be one or two other scenerios. In other words, it's almost certainly normal.

·
Registered
218 Posts
To add to what A1GSS said, my 225xe (which I've had for nearly 3 years) does exactly the same if I've been driving on pure electric for 7 to 10 consecutive days: the petrol engine fires as soon as I hit 'start' and Max eDrive is only available when the engine shuts itself off again (usually after a couple of minutes' running).

I remember reading a long while back that the car's ECU forces a petrol-engine start occasionally to turn the engine over and circulate the oil to inhibit corrosion. Unfortunately I now can't find the document which mentioned that, but be assured it's normal.

When the engine starts by itself like that, I usually move the gearstick left into 'Sport' mode (which means the engine doesn't shut off, even at a standstill) and keep it running for 5 or 6 miles to make sure it gets decently warmed up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts