Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry if the answer to this is buried somewhere in this thread but can someone tell me how many litres of fuel you have managed to get in your 330e when the fuel gauge / range computer tells you its empty?

I know it has a 41L capacity but I am trying to find out how the BMW manages that compared with my Outlander PHEV that I am looking to replace. The Outlander has a 45L tank but when the gauge and trip computer says its empty I rarely mange to get 40L in it, so a big chunk of that 45L is the reserve that I cant really use.

Does the BMW do a better job of allowing you to actually use all of the 41L?

Thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Sorry if the answer to this is buried somewhere in this thread but can someone tell me how many litres of fuel you have managed to get in your 330e when the fuel gauge / range computer tells you its empty?

I know it has a 41L capacity but I am trying to find out how the BMW manages that compared with my Outlander PHEV that I am looking to replace. The Outlander has a 45L tank but when the gauge and trip computer says its empty I rarely mange to get 40L in it, so a big chunk of that 45L is the reserve that I cant really use.

Does the BMW do a better job of allowing you to actually use all of the 41L?

Thanks.
Why can't you use the 'reserve' in the Outlander? Just because the range gauge says 0, if you still have 5 litres of fuel you can still drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Paul, yes I appreciate that but its a guesstimate as to how many miles I have until it completely runs out and the fuel gauge is so flaky on the Outlander its difficulty to guess how many miles you might have from 'empty'.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm about to check this and the 225XE out. I'm surprised that it is being suggested that the i3 is an alternative or that this car doesn't stand up on it's own.

I have an i3, (pure electric), which I've now done 22,000 miles in. However it is everyday run around, its not a family car - given the number of seats and the boot space.
We use it for everything we can. If it's within range and the kids crap fits in we use and thoroughly enjoy it (best car I've ever owned tbh, despite some annoyances). Oh and I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've used a charge point other than my own.

Our other car is an X1, the lease is due in Jan and I'm looking for the replacement.
I expect this car do do a different job, it needs to be

BIK efficient
Fit up to 5 people
Have a boot that fits more than the better halfs make up bag
Have the ability to do a significant part of our daily commute on electric as an alternative to the i3 if need be.
Be able to reliably go over 60 miles without needing to be charged.
Oh and it would be nice if it is still fun to drive on the odd occasions I want to put my foot down
Being of decent quality would be good - environmental is great but when it's limited to hippy dippy hair-shirt styling it is not going to do it for me

That limits your choice.

I'm not eating up motorway miles so diesel is no good (and they sound very noisy to me these days since I have the electric) Actually I don't want a diesel, petrol is the nicer of the two IMO

I'm pleased that people are plugging these in everywhere as we may start to see some coherence with the charging!

The network is pants and then a bit more pants. Not enough, not working, on different networks, different cards, different tariffs, different plugs etc. A total unreliable mess.
The only way it's going to improve is if more people are demanding it.

These cars fill a niche at the moment and you have to accept that not everything is going to be perfect. Each new model will be better than the last. If I got an i3 today it potentially goes twice as far as my 2 year old version does, that's quite a leap.

We are putting in the experimental miles and BMW et all are learning constantly from all the trip data about how we actually use the cars. Current research has indicated that the average commute is 12 miles so these models reflect that. You'll probably get 40-50 miles out the next ones.

One thing I will say is, I suspect once you owned a car that you can set to pre heat/cool via your watch/phone app or on a daily timer it's something that is going be hard to give up.
Love the fact that during the winter when we get in the car it is defrosted and warm ready to get the kids to school. Came back on the train from London over the weekend and stuck the air con on as we were pulling into the station. Getting into a lovely cool car at the end of a hot day was a very nice luxury.

So the question to those of you who own/ use one, what's it like as an actual car?
Does it drive nicely?
Is it up normal BMW standards?
Any niggles to watch for?
M Sport the version to go for?

Thanks

Martin

I had the third car delivered in the UK in March 2016. I have covered 11000 miles, have a 16 mile commute and charge at home on a 13amp plug and stage 2 at work.

It drives like a BMW, in sport mode with the gearbox in S, it will keep up with a 340. On a private road, 0-60 can be 5.7 seconds which is quicker than BMW states.

It drives very nicely indeed and is very quiet in EV mode.

Be careful with M Sport options as bigger wheels and thinner tyres combined with stiffer suspension may ruin the silent experience, remember that this car carries extra weight.

Niggles, the 13amp charger is not very well made (Delphi) and mine is currently being replaced under warranty. Most dealers have never seen a 330e so some basic questions cant be answered such as which coolant tank needs coolant? (The 330e has two radiators.). In the cold on a stage 2 charger, pre conditioning seems to use a lot of power. I can only conclude that the heater is not as energy efficient as the heat pump on my old 2016 Leaf.

After 11000 miles, some long journeys and frequent town driving, I am averaging 86mpg. Tesla Model S aside, I am happy with the 330e as my second choice.

Previous cars include Two 2016 Leaf Accenta, (BMW i3 REX, Tesla Model S P85, BMW i8 - short term loans)

·
9,719 Posts
I have seen 7kwh pulled in one hour whilst preconditioning, relevant when you are paying for use.
That's physically impossible the charger in the 330e is 3kW. Unless you've found a way to retrofit a KLE there's no possible way for it to pull 7kW in an hour.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's physically impossible the charger in the 330e is 3kW. Unless you've found a way to retrofit a KLE there's no possible way for it to pull 7kW in an hour.
I think that with a type 2 cable in a 7kw socket, the car pulls for both the charger and the heating. Unless the meter on the post is incorrect. I left the car plugged in for 2 hours and the useage was over 13kwh?

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
You should see my Polar Plus statement for this month there are some serious spikes in useage which I can only attribute to preconditioning. Unless anyone has had experience being over charged for charging by Chargemaster?
Are you referring to home Polar unit or public? They don't charge you for home electric - that is your bill :D

·
9,719 Posts
I think that with a type 2 cable in a 7kw socket, the car pulls for both the charger and the heating. Unless the meter on the post is incorrect. I left the car plugged in for 2 hours and the useage was over 13kwh?
This really isn't possible, 3.7kWh is the max the 330e can draw regardless of cable or anything else, that's the limit of the onboard charger.

It is very easy for the heating to be in excess of 3.7kWh but power for that comes from the battery, not directly from the charge point, and so the battery is depeleted quicker than the charger can replenish.

If the figures you quote are accurate you've been incorrectly metered.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This really isn't possible, 3.7kWh is the max the 330e can draw regardless of cable or anything else, that's the limit of the onboard charger.

It is very easy for the heating to be in excess of 3.7kWh but power for that comes from the battery, not directly from the charge point, and so the battery is depeleted quicker than the charger can replenish.

If the figures you quote are accurate you've been incorrectly metered.
Thanks Jack, time to call Chargemaster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. I'd like to get a 330e but I'm concerned about the resale value, given that the battery has a relatively short life (compared to the life of the car). Any advice about battery longevity and replacement..?
Many thanks
Richard

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all BMW 330e owners,

In the case I might not be able to charge my 330e for several weeks at the time, is this a problem? Will this cause some sort of malfunction in the electric system of 330e?
Do I have to charge battery up to a certain level in order to start 330e and then drive 330e?
Can I use 330e as a regular petrol car only for 6 months or so?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You don
Hi all BMW 330e owners,

In the case I might not be able to charge my 330e for several weeks at the time, is this a problem? Will this cause some sort of malfunction in the electric system of 330e?
Do I have to charge battery up to a certain level in order to start 330e and then drive 330e?
Can I use 330e as a regular petrol car only for 6 months or so?
You don't have to have any level of battery in order to drive off in the car --- beauty of a PHEV.

The car will actually self generate to a minimum battery level when doing long journeys.
An actual 330e owner needs to comment but my Golf will settle at 2-3miles if I drove it 50 miles or 6months without plugging it in, or pressing any Drive Mode buttons.

Your mpg will be crap, but yes you can use it as regular petrol car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
My experience is with a 225xe, but I've no reason to doubt the same wouldn't apply to the 330e.

The car will never let the battery charge drop below 3%, so it will never leave you stranded and unable to move - unless you run out of petrol too ;) All that will happen is, if you start the car with minimum battery level, the petrol engine will kick in as soon as you press the throttle.

If the battery has more than 7% charge, the car can do up to 48mph on battery-only, but you'll only go a mile or so on battery power only with that level of charge.

The petrol engine will also charge the battery while you drive normally, even in the default 'Auto eDrive' mode. For example, in the 225xe I did a 120-mile run to visit my in-laws, mostly on motorways. It went like this:

- set off from home with fully-charged battery after being plugged in, drove the 15 miles to the M60 on battery
- when I got to the M60, I had about 20% battery remaining
- cruising at 80mph, the petrol engine is always running, driving the front wheels and charging the battery
- when I left the motorway 90 miles later, the battery had been topped up to over 50%, which enabled me to drive the remaining distance mostly on electricity.

Obviously, if you never charge the battery, the car will not give you the fuel economy that it is capable of, and you will not be able to drive more than a mile or two on battery power only. But the battery does recharge fairly easily, and you will not damage the car's systems by not charging it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 330e for nearly 5 months now:
Firstly it's a great car, regardless of whether it's a PHEV or not.
It's well built, comfortable, fast, stylish and the handling is superb.
I charge mine every day, and based on my electricity bills before and after I got the car, I reckon it costs about 50p a charge, which usually gets me about 15-17 miles (Handily my daily commute is 15 miles).
When the battery is flat, I still get between 35-45 mpg.
Motorway runs (100+ miles) so far have returned about 40 mpg.
At time of writing, I have covered 751 miles since last visiting a petrol station :)

My only real criticism of my car, is the manual seat adjustment, which is rather fiddly, wish I'd spec'ed electric seats. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my first post and I am guessing that most of the members live across the "pond" from me. Two weeks ago, I leased a BMW 330e and I'm trying to get a better understanding of the hybrid factor. I'm retired and live in a dense urban / suburban area where there's a stop sign or traffic light at every intersection. We are using the car mainly for short trips to the market, mall, or local college - average distance of about 4 miles one way.

I'm driving in hybrid mode and running the air conditioning because it's summer and I live in a desert climate. Today, I started with a 100% charge, drove a total of 12 miles in hybrid mode, and was down to 3% charge at the end of the day. That is, I pulled out of my garage, drove 2 miles to Location A, stopped, and then continued 1 mile to Location B, parked, returned to Location A, parked, and drove home (6 miles on Trip 1). On Trip 2, I drove 3 miles from home to Location C, parked, and then returned home (6 miles on Trip 2). Even though I'm driving in hybrid mode, it seems as if the vehicle is running as if it were on full electric mode. Is there something wrong or is this how it works?

On my home charger, it takes up to 13 hours to fully charge the vehicle. I won't know how much this is costing me until I get my next electric bill. I have the options of upgrading to a faster home charger, setting up a dedicated electric meter for the vehicle, or of switching my electricity rate to time-of-use, which reduces the cost of charging the vehicle between the hours of 10 pm - 8 am.

I read in the Owner's Manual that the vehicle should be charged at least once every three months. So not meant to be driven as a gas-only vehicle.

I've not yet put gas in the car. I started with a full tank and have so far used only about 1/8 tank. Manual says the tank can hold up to 10 gallons. Premium gas in my area is currently about $3.50 per gallon. If I switch to "time of use" electric rate, the lowest charge rate will be 13 cents per kWh - but currently, at least double that, depending how much electricity I'm using at home all together.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Calif, and welcome.

the car will always 'start up' by default in 'Auto eDrive' mode. In this mode, the car will drive mostly on pure electric power unless you exceed 48mph, or you give a larger throttle input to demand more power. For the type of urban driving that you described, it's likely that the car will stay in pure electric mode for most of the time.

When the battery charge level hits 3%, the petrol motor will kick in to a) charge the battery and b) keep you moving.

12 miles on a full charge is about right for electric-only driving with the aircon on. Unfortunately, aircon cuts your electric-only range by at least 30% because it drains a lot of power.

13 hours for a full charge seems a long time: what's the maximum your home electricity supply can handle? In the UK, the BMW-supplied standard charging cable is rated at 10 amps, so the maximum charge rate from our normal domestic electricity sockets is 240V x 10A = 2.4 kilowatts.

If you look under the charging options in the car's on-board menu, you can change the charging rate to 'maximum' for the standard charging cable, that may speed up your charging times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,

Three times a week I drive a round trip of 126 miles to my office and the other two are spent locally.

I'm looking at the 330e M sport or a 2.0l diesel.
The diesel is my favourite looking car and it returns over 60mpg on a decent run and is more practical for me, but the bik and monthly contributions are considerably more.

My question is that what does the 330e really return on a lengthy trip?

Obviously if I have to supplement my own fuel costs towards the 330e it really isn't that beneficial.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, 1st post, please go easy...
Been looking at the 330e and I have a few questions
How much est does it cost to fully charge overnight?
Does the battery charge up whilst driving?
What is the real world range for using just electric, does the petrol motor only kick in over certain speeds?
Is it possible to travel the 25m range using just electric
They state 140 odd mpg is this real world?

Ta
After two weeks owning the 17 330e M Sport I can to tell you the best mileage you'll get is around 70-80mpg. The mpg average taps out at 99.99. So, you'd never be able to see anything higher even if you did all electric.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 121 Posts