Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
After two weeks owning the 17 330e M Sport I can to tell you the best mileage you'll get is around 70-80mpg. The mpg average taps out at 99.99. So, you'd never be able to see anything higher even if you did all electric.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Does the app on your phone not display a more accurate (and higher) MPG reading for your journeys?

·
Registered
172 Posts
After two weeks owning the 17 330e M Sport I can to tell you the best mileage you'll get is around 70-80mpg. The mpg average taps out at 99.99. So, you'd never be able to see anything higher even if you did all electric.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Download the BMW connected app. You'll then see true MPG figures for your trips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For what it's worth, three weeks after taking delivery of my BMW 530e, (M) if that makes a difference, I'm still fiddling and playing, interrogating the information, and trying to maximise energy and fuel performance. I get nothing like the claimed 29-31mpg on full charge. In fact the gauge is usually bang in at 15-18mpg. Does anyone know, or have challenged, dealers on this mythical ca. 30mpg EV range? (Impressive car, mind)

·
Registered
181 Posts
For what it's worth, three weeks after taking delivery of my BMW 530e, (M) if that makes a difference, I'm still fiddling and playing, interrogating the information, and trying to maximise energy and fuel performance. I get nothing like the claimed 29-31mpg on full charge. In fact the gauge is usually bang in at 15-18mpg. Does anyone know, or have challenged, dealers on this mythical ca. 30mpg EV range? (Impressive car, mind)
You won’t hit any of the heights whilst the weather is so cold I’m afraid. Batteries hate the cold, plus there’s heating, lighting and wipers that will take their toll on the performance. The range will pick up with the temperature so you’ll have to hang in there over the winter.

Do you precondition whilst it’s still plugged in before you leave?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 530e m sport, and you will never get the 29-31mpg in the real world - 18 is realistic. I have had mine a month and have averaged around 55 mpg - based on 1 home charge per day and mixed mileage. My colleague has had the same car since July and covered 5000 miles at an average of 55 mpg. He races 4x4's as a hobby, so he is not your typical Sunday driver.

Overall the car is great, and I love the BIK benefit compared to my previous Mercedes e300 AMG. Manufacturer statistics are always a joke. I have had the app saying 313 mpg when I did a 7 mile school run and the petrol engine kicked in for a minute or so!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the 530e m sport, and you will never get the 29-31mpg in the real world - 18 is realistic. I have had mine a month and have averaged around 55 mpg - based on 1 home charge per day and mixed mileage. My colleague has had the same car since July and covered 5000 miles at an average of 55 mpg. He races 4x4's as a hobby, so he is not your typical Sunday driver.

Overall the car is great, and I love the BIK benefit compared to my previous Mercedes e300 AMG. Manufacturer statistics are always a joke. I have had the app saying 313 mpg when I did a 7 mile school run and the petrol engine kicked in for a minute or so!!
Typo in the first line should say "29-31 miles" - not mpg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read that you should only use the low charging rate, due to the domestic electricity supply, rather than the fast or reduced charging options. Is that correct?
Hi Calif, and welcome.

the car will always 'start up' by default in 'Auto eDrive' mode. In this mode, the car will drive mostly on pure electric power unless you exceed 48mph, or you give a larger throttle input to demand more power. For the type of urban driving that you described, it's likely that the car will stay in pure electric mode for most of the time.

When the battery charge level hits 3%, the petrol motor will kick in to a) charge the battery and b) keep you moving.

12 miles on a full charge is about right for electric-only driving with the aircon on. Unfortunately, aircon cuts your electric-only range by at least 30% because it drains a lot of power.

13 hours for a full charge seems a long time: what's the maximum your home electricity supply can handle? In the UK, the BMW-supplied standard charging cable is rated at 10 amps, so the maximum charge rate from our normal domestic electricity sockets is 240V x 10A = 2.4 kilowatts.

If you look under the charging options in the car's on-board menu, you can change the charging rate to 'maximum' for the standard charging cable, that may speed up your charging times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I
Just took mine in to BMW as I just got the car and am getting 16 miles range rather than 25. They changed the control unit on a recall and say that should solve the range problem!
We shall see!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I read that you should only use the low charging rate, due to the domestic electricity supply, rather than the fast or reduced charging options. Is that correct?
The BMW eManual has a table that shows the current draw for the three different charge rates.
The granny cable is intended for use as an occasional charging option. It will obviously charge on the lowest setting. That should be OK for all home wiring based on a 13A ring main. I think if I recall correctly the low setting will draw around 7A.

However, the socket itself is the weak point. Constant use is likely to cause heating of the plug. No different to a kettle or similar but the constant plugging and unplugging may cause problems long term.

For higher rates of charging a separate feed from your fuse board with appropriate cable size.
Had a 3.6kW charger installed. That was cabled directly from the tails out of the meter into a separate fuse board and cabled up with cable sufficient to take 7kW load.

Most newer properties will have a 100A service fuse. We have a 10kW shower plus all the other electric goodies a modern home has. You can soon be butting up against the incoming mains limit, so I suspect that is a second reason why BMW suggest using the lowest setting for their supplied charger. It is unlikely to cause too much in the way of problems in the majority of homes.

Unless you know how good you home wiring is and what your home consumes, the Low setting is best to use. The higher rates should only be used for dedicated charge points that have been professionally installed.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Just to clarify - and at the risk of stating the obvious - the charge cable should take account of that. It will charge at the appropriate level, you shouldn't need to change anything in the car. For example, my i3 charges at different rates appropriate to what cable you're using, while everything in the menus is set to Maximum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just want to point out that US gallon is 0.8 imperial gallon. In a 1000 mile trip in California, without charging, my new 330e got 40mpg, about 50mpg imperial.

I have also seen the range fully charged drop from 24miles in Sept to 14miles now/January. Charge time from 3% to 100% is usually about 150minutes. [i am in California, it gets about 45deg F at night, though garage is s bit warmer] That almost 40% drop is sick. I drive mostly flat areas, and mix of 4mi to 40mile roundtrips.

Resetting the ‘information’ in the computer is meaningless - it should average out over time.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just to clarify - and at the risk of stating the obvious - the charge cable should take account of that. It will charge at the appropriate level, you shouldn't need to change anything in the car. For example, my i3 charges at different rates appropriate to what cable you're using, while everything in the menus is set to Maximum.
That’s true, but only takes account of the capacity of the charge cable. It doesn’t for instance compensate for less than optimum house wiring or supply capacity. So you can further restrict the charge rate to a figure below the maximum rate for your cable if you have dodgy wiring or sockets, or if your overall mains fuse is on the low side and you are trying to charge whilst using other household items such as cookers, electric showers or heating. These lower charging rates can be selected through the in car charging set up menu.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bottom line is that unless you know your wiring can handle a constant 10A draw from the charge cable get a home charger (or be safer rather than sorry and turn the rates down). It would be like plugging in an electric oven to any socket in your house and leaving it to run for hours on end.

Mostly, I would think if people are leaving the car on charge over night and the difference between a trickle charge and charging fast would be negligible.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Anyone getting the new one. Website says it's available in July which is only a few days away.

The electric only range not quite impressive enough many might say, not as big of a leap forward from the last generation as I was hoping anyway.

Anyone know the 0-60 specs, that's one thing the website doesn't seem to list even though you can now configure it on the website.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a quote for one to replace my current 330e, 0-60 i've seen somewhere was 5.9 Seconds.

The new 330e has a ten second 'boost' mode when in sport mode which gives around 290bhp compared to the normal 250bhp.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've got a quote for one to replace my current 330e, 0-60 i've seen somewhere was 5.9 Seconds.

The new 330e has a ten second 'boost' mode when in sport mode which gives around 290bhp compared to the normal 250bhp.
Pretty much the same speed as our 330es as well then.

What was your quote if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Conbrue,

I have had a 330e since around Mid April, and it is a lovely car to drive, but with limitations, in answer to your questions:

1) Yes, about 60p

2) No, not really, if running on the engine, you can get the odd mile back due to brake re-generation but even with the car in "battery save mode" it does it own thing and still consumes your battery, albeit less than normal, you will loose an odd percent or two and then get it back. It is all a bit random. I completed and 120 mile trip last week, put it into max battery mode whilst I was on the motorway, it was a 71% charged, it decreased at it s lowest to 68% and by the end of the trip was at 72% not quite what I was expecting. If you knock the gear lever across into sport you will see it charge, however your mpg goes down into the 20's so not worth it. I think it manages itself better in Auto mode.

3) My goal is to drive it as much as possible on electric, I have given up on the inbuilt guesstimator on mileage as it makes no sense at times. I now use the percentage charge indicator to give me an idea instead. I fully charge my car twice a day, 100% charge shows 14 miles on the gauge. It is about 8 miles to work and it shows about 2 miles left when I get there and about 25% battery left, go go figure that one out. Last week it showed 22% charged and only 1 mile range?

If I could not charge at work then I would not be able to get home on battery. I now take the slightly shorter A roads, rather than the 2 mile longer motorways as on battery I found I could not make even the single journey at motorway speeds without resorting to the engine.

3b) The petrol engine kicks in at around 65mph when on auto, and will kick in at around 75-80 when on max battery.

4) No, not a chance. That really puzzled me, I converted the BMW figures into mile I was expecting 20-25 miles, not 14 on a full charge.

5) The inbuilt iDrive efficiency gauge only goes up to 80mpg. On full battery you will get 77 ish, with both running it is hard to make any sense of it. Petrol engine generally does between 35-45 mpg.

BMW recommend you charge your car at every possibility, however it only works if charging is free, or you do not have to pay for a connection charge, for example ChargeNow, a one off connection charge is £1.20 + electricity. Bearing in mind my car only charges to 14 miles, then that comes out at roughly £1.80 or 13p per mile which according to my calculations is the same price as running it on petrol... Take into account you will most likely already have some charge in your batteries (it never seems to let you get below 6% anyway before starting the engine) then the per mile cost is even higher and definitely cheaper to run it on petrol.

So to sum up, drives like a BMW, really nice, would have been fantastic if they had taken the engine out and filled it full of batteries, as there are not enough batteries to really make them useful, knobbled further by an extremely long charge time due to them fitting a 3.7KW charger. If you are looking at a tax saving then it is a no brainer, if you want to run it like an electric car you may be better choosing something else. I think it is a mindset thing, the biggest thing is remember it is a hybrid, adding a charging socket does not turn it into an electric car as it does not have any great range.

Edit: When I first received the car it used to charge to 17 miles, now two months later it charges to 14 miles. The other thing I though I would mention is the pre-conditioning. Back in AprilI I used to use it in the cold dark mornings, plugged into a 13 Amp socket it would consume more charge than the charger would supply. I would loose 2 miles off the normal charge to heat the car up and defrost the windscreen, which would be 20-25% of the total charge. It may work better on a type 2 charger.

Hopefully enough information for you to make a decision :)
Hi

Referance the speeds on battery? i have just taken a 330e BMW after having a C350e merc, the MErc would travel to 70mph dependant on battery charge.
Once at 70mph dependant on battery the engine would take over, but at 70mph down hill or on the flat if i lift the pedal it would drop back into battery mode and allow me to coast/maintain 70mph up until the engine was required.
i cant seem to do this in the BMW the moment it gets to 50mph the engine comes on and i can not get the battery mode back in until i drop below 50mph again.
Most of my driving is main A roads and motorways (i know a diesel is better) but for tax its not, so without the function to alternate between battery and engine at motorway speeds the MPG will not be great.
do i need to change the settings or is this the way it is.

thanks for any reply.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts