Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi

Referance the speeds on battery? i have just taken a 330e BMW after having a C350e merc, the MErc would travel to 70mph dependant on battery charge.
Once at 70mph dependant on battery the engine would take over, but at 70mph down hill or on the flat if i lift the pedal it would drop back into battery mode and allow me to coast/maintain 70mph up until the engine was required.
i cant seem to do this in the BMW the moment it gets to 50mph the engine comes on and i can not get the battery mode back in until i drop below 50mph again.
Most of my driving is main A roads and motorways (i know a diesel is better) but for tax its not, so without the function to alternate between battery and engine at motorway speeds the MPG will not be great.
do i need to change the settings or is this the way it is.

thanks for any reply.
Just replied to the other tread you created - Engine automatically cuts in at 51MPG. You need to select max edrive to override this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, 1st post, please go easy...
Been looking at the 330e and I have a few questions
How much est does it cost to fully charge overnight?
Does the battery charge up whilst driving?
What is the real world range for using just electric, does the petrol motor only kick in over certain speeds?
Is it possible to travel the 25m range using just electric
They state 140 odd mpg is this real world?

Ta
Hi, 1st post, please go easy...
Been looking at the 330e and I have a few questions
How much est does it cost to fully charge overnight?
Does the battery charge up whilst driving?
What is the real world range for using just electric, does the petrol motor only kick in over certain speeds?
Is it possible to travel the 25m range using just electric
They state 140 odd mpg is this real world?

Ta
Hi. Just bought a second hand one two weeks ago. Im a private buyer so BIK doesnt apply. Great car and such a beauty to look at and drive. Came from an A3 tdi 2ltr doing 50mpg. This is currently doing 45mpg so disappointed. Even if I spend £1.60 a night charging it up I only improve 1 mpg on my 15 mile journey to work!! I was hoping 50 mpg at least so not what I was expecting but Im sticking with it. Getting a power point put in as its free and will charge quicker. Im with octopus electricity and they offer a 5p per kWh if you charge at night instead of 15.5p but I have to have a smart meter which Im going to try. Fully charge it says 11 miles range. So it runs out before I get to work and my journey is very hilly here in Mid Wales to be fair. Performance and driving experience are out of this world though!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Daj21, have you got the smart meter yet? I am trying to figure out how to set up the off-peak charging with Octopus Go with a later departure time, and preconditioning first the departure.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
. Even if I spend £1.60 a night charging it up I only improve 1 mpg on my 15 mile journey to work!! I was hoping 50 mpg at least so not what I was expecting but Im sticking with it.
That doesn’t sound right, unless you mean the cash equivalent. I have the first generation 330e with 7kWh battery. On petrol (If I forget to charge) my 22 round trip commute gives around 45 MPG. With a full battery in the morning I get all the way there and half way back (16 miles on electric) and maybe 38 MPG for the 6 or so miles on petrol (cold engine) I.e less than 1/6 th of a gallon burned for the 22 mile round trip. The overall average is around 140 MPG plus electric. Total cost (I am on Octopus Go, so the charging is about 35p) is about £1.20 per day instead of £2.70 on petrol. (£[email protected] MPG , and diesel is more expensive).

Plus, if you charge in the night (after midnight) you are saving loads of CO2 even if you don’t have a smart meter. The CO2 reductions are the real point of electric motoring, and that is what the tax breaks are for (Zero road tax, grant towards installing a charger, BIK if it applies to you).

121 - 127 of 127 Posts