Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can someone answer this for me.

Ive recently purchased a 2016 BMW 330e and wanted to improve my knowledge of this technology.

If I am driving using Purely electric power say at 60 mph and I deplete the battery at this speed on the motorway. The car has no choice but to revert to the ICE.

Surely switching from the Electric motor to a cold Combustion engine at this speed cannot be good for the engine?

How have BMW circumvented this issue?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
They've improved the reliability of the engine beyond previously, but nothing can make up for this entirely. Whether the engine dies during your ownership is down to luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've improved the reliability of the engine beyond previously, but nothing can make up for this entirely. Whether the engine dies during your ownership is down to luck.
That's interesting.....

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe as the battery is almost empty, from here on in I should slow up a little a give the ICE a chance to warm up!

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
Sensible. Also avoid full throttle entry onto an Motorway or similar when on electric.
Audi in particular suffered issues with early hybrids in this situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understand your points entirely.

I have been caught out with this in the past and used excessive right foot and noticed the cold ICE kick in. I think this triggered my thinking into what protection the combustion engine might have against this kind of operation. Hence the Question.

None I guess, Is the stock answer here.

Interesting that there is little information out there regarding this phenomenon. I expect the manufacturers would like to keep this as quiet as possible for as long as possible?

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
I’d safely assume BMW have considered this and that there is no harm being done. The starter motor for one is a different design I think... It’s unavoidable and I believe the shock to the engine isn’t the same as it would be for a non-hybrid. I just drive mine as it’s been designed to be driven, therefore when I plant my foot down and a cold engine kicks in, I have no worries.

If you want to, put it in eco pro and the acceleration is much more relaxed - though slower.

on the other hand, I’ve found the most efficient use of the 330e hybrid motor is to use electric up to 50mph and then above that let the ICE motor kick in.Higher speeds are generally more efficient for the engine anyway, and much less efficient for the electric motor, so use both motors in their own most efficient way. In other words, keep the car in auto. Don’t use save mode. And don’t use eDrive, unless you’re nearing the end of a journey with plenty of miles in the battery that would otherwise go unused.

Using the car this way I’ve got an average of 110mpg on a 22 mile commute, and over a months commuting on one tank.

·
Super Moderator
7,473 Posts
Using the car this way I’ve got an average of 110mpg on a 22 mile commute, and over a months commuting on one tank.
That’s interesting, because I got 105 mpg on my 28 mile commute in my plug in Prius. The fact that was in 2010 and it was a normal 2009 Prius to which I added my own additional 4kwh battery and charger, perhaps says something about how far behind BMW are in this area.

Reactions: dk6780

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
68 Posts
But don't forget the 330e is very much performance orientated with the electric motor a bit of a side show. 250bhp and 6 seconds to 60mph and torque not far off a 340i... I prefer this over the 330i or 330d.

Going slightly off topic here... back to the original question BMW will have done their research on cold-starting. I know there have been early issues with some starter motor failures, but it's not an endemic issue with the design.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,907 Posts
I’d safely assume BMW have considered this and that there is no harm being done
I would disagree, whilst I'm sure that BMW have considered it and will have amended their ICE where possible, it's impossible to entirely mitigate against the mistreatment of requiring high power output from a cold engine, particularly in terms of bearing lubrication with cold oil and differential expansion across the head gasket due to the head warming more quickly than the block.
All of these PHEVs are an interesting experiment in how much the engine life will be reduced. Note that the Toyota synergy drive uses a much lower stressed engine so whilst the longevity of that is excellent it is not a pointer to the situation for other manufacturers using highly boosted ICE such as BMW.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts