Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Brand new 330E driver. So, i home charged the battery last night to 100% and this gave me a suggested range of 27 miles. I just completed a round trip into town and back and got 14.5 miles from a full charge. I should add that my average speed for the trip was 12.5 mph, so a lot of coasting along in traffic, a couple of miles of dual carriageway and the rest on local roads. Not sure how i feel about this? Disappointed springs to mind, seems an awful lot of technology, additional weight, loss of range (compared to my old diesel) for not a great return.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Disappointed springs to mind, seems an awful lot of technology, additional weight, loss of range (compared to my old diesel) for not a great return.
Unless that is outweighed by the positive feeling of being seen to be doing something for the environment or saving tax I have to agree. Ideal for the school run but not much more ......

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
1,350 Posts
But you have done part of your journey ( all of it?) without poisoning anyone. Wasn't that the idea?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Especially in winter, and if driving at dual carriageway speeds for a while too that sounds about right to me.

The range is never as good as advertised. But I'm surprised that you are so shocked. Its no secret that most PHEVs are a bit of a joke and have very limited electric range. They often seem to put people off electric and to return to ICE, rather than being a helpful stepping stone to build confidence to move to full EV.

Did you not do much/any research or take one for an extended test drive before committing to it?

On the plus side your emissions for journeys like that are still going to be very low, the shortest of your trips will use no fuel at all, and you will surely still make a saving on your fuel bills overall. I agree that is still disappointing if you were fully expecting to get double that electric range however though.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My mate Chas, had a BMW 330e for 3 years on a lease, after the first month he viewed the electric range as a novelty and nothing else. He did achieve about 22 miles range in the summer and about 14 miles range in the winter, all on rural roads, not much good on A roads, once the speed went up to 40 mph the engine would always cut in. That said I think there was some tax advantages, the alloy wheel damage very easily which cost him when the car went back.

Nice car though, went to a couple of away footie games in it, plenty of low power and torque, very small petrol tank though, had to keep stopping to fill it up.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
One of the problems is the difference between total battery capacity, which I've seen I think used a lot to indicate range, and the useable capacity, which is normally 2 or 3 kwh less - plus you will lose the warming up kwh - did you pre-condition the car before the journey ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a BMW i8 and that used to show about 18m on a full charge but lucky if I got 3 or 4 miles!!
Like others have suggested the weather and warming the cabin up will hinder range
One big advantage on PHEV vehicles is performance if provides additional power to a car with a small engine!
And also better MPG to an ICE
So it’s not all about the electric range

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
What a lot of people seem to forget about PHEVs is the H.

They’re hybrids, not full electric cars, so I’d say it’s doing exactly what I would expect it to Electric only wise, especially this time of year.

The forum is littered with posts from first time PHEV (and BEV to be fair) drivers perplexed at the ‘missing range’. The official figures can be misleading, but they were achieved under less than realistic conditions, which you aren’t going to come across often.

But, if you think of your PHEV like a car with a ‘fuel multiplier’ and an electric only party trick then it makes more sense.

If every non BEV car on the road was a PHEV, and everybody plugged in every night, then we’d probably be in a better place.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I had a BMW i8 and that used to show about 18m on a full charge but lucky if I got 3 or 4 miles!!
Like others have suggested the weather and warming the cabin up will hinder range
One big advantage on PHEV vehicles is performance if provides additional power to a car with a small engine!
And also better MPG to an ICE
So it’s not all about the electric range
Out of interest, what sort of MPG did you get from the i8? Some people report that it was worse than a similarly driven M3 despite the tiny turbo engine and hybrid gear.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It wasn’t great in normal mode 45mpg but sport mode with with no charge on the batt it was closer to 30

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
;)Thanks for all the replies, i can concur with what is being said. The car is on lease as a company car, however, i do want to make the most of the technology available and do my bit. i'm going to plug it in at every opportunity and see what things look like over the next month or two. Probably going to change to one of the energy providers that has a cheap off peak tariff (Octopus 0.05p / kw/h) which will mean i can charge it fully for 60p / night, which will mean that my local travel and commuting is cheaper and it will also have an impact on my overall mpg, so in the long run thats a saving also. The small tank is annoying though!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Yes, That's a good reason to make the change, but shouldn't it also be more efficient than my previous vehicle?
Well, I don't mean to be too negative but the 330e is really neither fish nor fowl - as an EV it has negligible range, as an ICE it's hampered by the weight of an extra battery and gubbins that aren't in use most of the time and just act as a drag. If people want an EV or an ICE then they buy them, if they want a plugin hybrid they buy an Outlander. It's hard to see the point of it, except to game BIK - though that seems to be BMW's current main strategy.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
It is a shame that the manufacturers, just like the hardened EVers, seem to see PHEVs as a game, yet done right, they're brilliant. My V60, and the ampera, give great electric mileage, and are both extremely nice cars to drive - yet the BMWs and the Mercs, whilst having great technology, are hampered by tiny useable battery capacities - it just doesn't make sense. A new PHEV with a 20kwh battery would be an absolute game changer if you asked me, and we know they could fit one in the same weight and space as the previous 11 or 12 kwh battery packs.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It is a shame that the manufacturers, just like the hardened EVers, seem to see PHEVs as a game, yet done right, they're brilliant. My V60, and the ampera, give great electric mileage, and are both extremely nice cars to drive - yet the BMWs and the Mercs, whilst having great technology, are hampered by tiny useable battery capacities - it just doesn't make sense. A new PHEV with a 20kwh battery would be an absolute game changer if you asked me, and we know they could fit one in the same weight and space as the previous 11 or 12 kwh battery packs.
The other advantage of a bigger battery is that it gives an incentive to plug in. So for example someone with 13 miles range might think "not worth the effort ", if it's double or triple that then they can think "oh that means I can do my whole commute on electric and commute for peanuts and almost never visit a petrol station. Step change in behaviour for an extra 10kWh or so.

·
Registered
755 Posts
A neighbour of mine has a 330e, when they first got it they plugged it in every night. They don't bother now, it's a shame they don't have bigger batteries. I do wonder what percentage of plug in hybrids get plugged in.

·
Registered
817 Posts
It's hard to see the point of it, except to game BIK
Exactly, that's all that most people care about as well as a little greenwashing. That they don't understand the potential fuel and hence cost savings is pitiful, and they will moan about the reduced performance and small fuel tank whilst blaming Greta.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I do wonder what percentage of plug in hybrids get plugged in.
The Government could estimate this by cross-referencing the OLEV data for units installed against PHEVs where the PHEV is still in the same ownership. My guess is that they have done this and it was a factor in the decision behind removing the grant for their purchase.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Perhaps PHEV engine software can be programmed to default, that if it’s not plugged in on a regular basis the engine reverts to limp mode, like a DPF issue? Would challenge the BIK gamers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts