Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a 2017 330e but I wanted to get reviews from current 330e owners and if they have any advice, reviews, etc. that can help shape my decision for this car. Anything will help! Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had mine since April (16 plate M Sport) coming from a 330d xDrive pre LCI

For a private buyer, I think the 330e is ideal if your commute is 20-30 miles a day. I used to do 70+ a day but now my daily commute is approx 15-20 miles round trip. I was doing this low mileage in the 330d for a while and it was barely getting up to temperature when I arrived at work. MPG in 330d was averaging 35 around the houses. Obviously on a long run it was much better but these journeys were few and far between.

So, onto the 330e. I honestly say I prefer it to the 330d. It feels much more refined and even though it's battery heavy, feels more nimble than the 330d. It's fast when you want it to be and off the line it's very quick.

I charge via the 3 pin plug every night and average 15-17 miles full electric. I think a lot of people get hung up about the electric range, but it's not trying to be an EV, it's a hybrid so I see those electric miles as a bonus as when the batteries are depleted it acts as a normal hybrid car. So on a normal day, I usually get to work on full electric ( can't charge at work) and then use electric and a bit of petrol on the way home. I got a full tank when I bought towards the end of April and I didn't visit a petrol station until mid June. This was using it for work every day and the occasional 40 mile round trip to see my folks.

Recently took it to Cornwall from Sheffield on holiday and on the return journey (forgot to take note of the inward journey) it showed 52mpg after an 8 hour journey. I thought that was pretty good. That was a 336 mile journey and had just over a 1/4 tank of petrol left.

The car is heavily specced so that adds to the car, but I genuienly love it. I love the refinement, I'm saving money on fuel and road tax and it's a really nice feeling to float around on electric. When the mood takes though you can whack it in sport mode and give it a good blast - the engine sounds pretty good to be honest.

So, if you do a lot of miles and you're a private buyer then diesel would probably suit better, but if like me you only do small daily journeys then I can't recommend it high enough.

Feel free to ask me anything specific and if I can help I will. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I charge via the 3 pin plug every night and average 15-17 miles full electric.
What is the battery capacity compared to the newer model if you know? I was chatting to the sales people in the local dealership and to be honest it was the usual clueless responses. Just interested how the new model might improve. Think it says in the specs it's range is 40(ish) miles from 12kwh if I read it right which worked out at just under 3.5 miles per kWh which sounds plausible if you took it easy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there, We have a 2016 330e Luxury. If you're looking for major fuel economy forget it. Its easier to think of it as a zero road tax, 2 litre BMW with an electric performance boost. Its a very comfortable ride with the standard suspension and 18" alloys. I'd say the must haves are folding rear seats (although the boot is still pretty big), pro nav and folding mirrors. It sure feels good wafting around town on pure electric, and I'd say the extra weight makes it feel pretty planted on the road - in a good way.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yes, I’d regretted even pausing to think about hybrid again very quickly. Now if they did a hybrid with about 50 miles of real electric range, that may start to tick boxes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
By combining the same 2.0-litre, four-cylinder turbo petrol engine you’ll find in the regular 320i with an electric motor that’s neatly integrated into the eight-speed Steptronic automatic gearbox.

The packaging is so good that the casing is just 15mm longer, compared with the standard eight-speed auto fitted elsewhere in the 3-series range. Having the motor in this position is great for efficiency, too – particularly when it comes to brake-energy regeneration.

The petrol engine provides 181bhp and 221bl ft, while the electric motor gives up to 111bhp and an instant 195lb ft – although as is usually the case with hybrid systems, you can’t just add those two figures together to get the car’s total power output.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts