Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be interested to hear from other 330e owners about their experience with the "Save Battery" mode?

On longer journeys I've tried switching modes once I've run out of electric - save battery to generate electric then switch to e drive or all electric if I'm near the end of a journey - but unless I repeat the same journey on just petrol I'm not sure how efficient this is?
Generally I get about 16 miles on pure electric driving around town and the suburbs but last week on a 30 mile trip along the A59 around Harrogate and then on the road to Pateley Bridge the car reported 96% electric use and an overall 96 mpg.
Starting the journey back with no electric I switched to save battery then back to e drive once I'd reached 50% charge and finally to all electric when I thought there should be enough to finish the journey on electric.
The car reported 48 mpg for the return journey of which it said 30% was electric.
I suppose I could check the impact of save battery mode by just using this mode for an entire journey but I'm too mean to not use the electric I've created!
Any other experiences of using save battery mode?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd be interested to hear from other 330e owners about their experience with the "Save Battery" mode?

On longer journeys I've tried switching modes once I've run out of electric - save battery to generate electric then switch to e drive or all electric if I'm near the end of a journey - but unless I repeat the same journey on just petrol I'm not sure how efficient this is?
Generally I get about 16 miles on pure electric driving around town and the suburbs but last week on a 30 mile trip along the A59 around Harrogate and then on the road to Pateley Bridge the car reported 96% electric use and an overall 96 mpg.
Starting the journey back with no electric I switched to save battery then back to e drive once I'd reached 50% charge and finally to all electric when I thought there should be enough to finish the journey on electric.
The car reported 48 mpg for the return journey of which it said 30% was electric.
I suppose I could check the impact of save battery mode by just using this mode for an entire journey but I'm too mean to not use the electric I've created!
Any other experiences of using save battery mode?
There is very little to be gained using Save Battery mode and lots to be lost.

Instead of using your battery once from the electricity system, it then uses a very inefficient petrol engine to generate electricity which it then uses later. You might increase the total distance driven on electric (which is not really a good metric) but the overall fuel economy will be worse. The only time I would use battery save mode it is at the beginning of a journey (with the battery already full) if I know I will be in stop/start traffic later in the same journey and the battery would otherwise already be drained.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts