Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The car uses recycled heat from the engine and the liquid cooled battery. The electric heater is only used for parking or departure heating. The battery is liquid cooled, at least in the 330e, but I don't know the 225xe, though I am sure it works the same way.
So what happens when you set off on fully electric, on a 4c November day, does the cabin just stay cold or does it fire up the ICE to warm the cabin?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
So what happens when you set off on fully electric, on a 4c November day, does the cabin just stay cold or does it fire up the ICE to warm the cabin?
With the 225xe I seem to recall it not firing up the ICE on max EV mode unless it was frosty cold.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If the car uses the HV battery to run the heating (pretty sure 225xe did that in EV mode) the PTC heater can draw up to 5-6kW which will stuff the range, on top of Biffa's comment on cold batteries/cars being less efficient.
The BMW can pre-condition (pre-heat battery and cabin) for the departure time, which means that it can heat the car and battery without draining the HV battery.
But it isn’t perfect; if you want to charge the car in the dead of night and then pre-heat later on immediately before departure, the car’s charging settings do not allow that.
My own experience is that pre-heating in cold weather adds a mile or two to the range, no more. Also, using the heated seats instead of the full cabin heater makes a difference to the range, if you are trying to squeeze the last mile or two. I typically get 15 miles in winter and 18 in summer (2016 model, now 60000 miles).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
27 Posts
But it isn’t perfect; if you want to charge the car in the dead of night and then pre-heat later on immediately before departure, the car’s charging settings do not allow that.
Are you sure?

I have mine set up with a 'Tariff time slot' of 00:30 to 04:30 (to match Octpus Go), and a departure time of, say 09:00. It charges the battery from 00:30 (usually until sometime after 03:00, depending on how flat it was), then it switches off for a few hours, and the pre-heading switches on again around 08:30.

I think the Tariff time slot takes precedence over the departure time, in terms of getting the battery fully charged.

I get a full battery on cheap electricity, and a nice toasty car to step into. OK, so the pre-heat isn't on cheap power, but I do at least get the full range.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you sure?

I have mine set up with a 'Tariff time slot' of 00:30 to 04:30 (to match Octpus Go), and a departure time of, say 09:00. It charges the battery from 00:30 (usually until sometime after 03:00, depending on how flat it was), then it switches off for a few hours, and the pre-heading switches on again around 08:30.

I think the Tariff time slot takes precedence over the departure time, in terms of getting the battery fully charged.

I get a full battery on cheap electricity, and a nice toasty car to step into. OK, so the pre-heat isn't on cheap power, but I do at least get the full range.
MegaMan: which model is that? Mine is 2016 1st generation and last time it tried it would not do that : as I recall the charging ran in the tariff window and the preconditioning drained the battery. But I have not tried recently and there have been software updates since then. Will try again soon (the car is in dock at present).

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
27 Posts
It's a new 530e, so it may well be something it's taken them 4 years to fix! Very likely to have been addressed by software updates. Fingers crossed, it's fixed for you now. I can't imagine they reserve such 'features' for the 5 series over the 3!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The car uses recycled heat from the engine and the liquid cooled battery. The electric heater is only used for parking or departure heating. The battery is liquid cooled, at least in the 330e, but I don't know the 225xe, though I am sure it works the same way.
Have you got a source for this?
I was under the impression that it was electric heating all the time.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts