Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a 2019 BMW 530e with just over 50k on the clock, I just wanted to pick other owners brains on what sort of electric only mileage you get out of the battery.

Granted we've only had it a week, but just doing short trips around home (school run, shops, gym etc.) we're getting around 12-13 to a full charge, is this normal? when I fully charge it the car says I should have around 19 miles, which is fine for us, but we've not got anywhere near it yet and I'm not sure if it's driving style or there is an issue with the battery/car itself.

Any advice/opinions would be welcome

·
Registered
2021 BMW iX3 Premier Pro / Nissan Leaf 2021 e+tekna (ordered)
386 Posts
I've got a 225xe currently, with 10kWh battery, and 25ish on ideal conditions, that's a lighter car as well, and AWD (petrol front, BEV rear) slightly more efficient than having it all on one axle. Wouldn't think you would get much over 15-20 best case.

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
55 Posts
Do you have the 9.2kWh battery, or the larger 12kWh fitted to the later models? I assume the former as I think the latter was only fitted from 2020. I believe BMW keep approx 10% battery capacity in reserve to prolong battery life, so you should have around 8.2kWh capacity to use.

When in e-mode, you should be able to see the miles driven on the battery 'today', and the average miles/kWh that you've achieved. A quick sum should reveal what capacity the car thinks it has, and whether the issue might be your right foot. For comparison, I averaged 2.7 mi/kWh on a 7 mile journey today. That's about 2.6kWh, and used just under a quarter of the indicated battery charge. That all fits in well with a projected 28 mile range on a full battery at this time of year.

·
Registered
F30 330e Sport
104 Posts
My 330e with the original 7kw battery averages around 17-18 per charge, as low as 13 in the winter months, and as much as 20 on hot days. However you have to be sympathetic to acceleration and driving modes in order to maximise potential. For example I'm used to getting this mileage when I'm driving, yet last week my wife used it for a short trip, only 12 miles, and used it all up! Obviously she was quite aggressive in accelerating which especially in a small battery makes a huge difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts