Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 530e M Sport for 11 months and done just over 10k trouble free.

Tried fast charging as usual and got the message "main power too low" with a red light flashing on the car charger socket. Tried the 13A mains connector - no better.

A colleague with the same car has just had major surgery for a similar issue - failure of the charging system - £1000's to fix apparently.

I will be contacting BMW in the morning to see what they suggest. The engine bay did seem rather hot despite only running the car for a few seconds to reboot????

Will post an update.

·
9,719 Posts
Make sure the cable is properly seated at both ends and try another cable.

Check for any debris in the top two pins as low power warning is indicative of a communication problem.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
619 Posts
My 740e has the same problem amongst a load of others, all charging related. Two dealers, four weeks, no solution. Weak.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 330e and had a “unable to charge, Service Request” message when it was 8 months old. Turned out to be the charge control unit (KLE).

I booked into a dealer, but the dealer advised that I should call BMW Emergency Service who recovered the car on a flatbed to the dealer I nominated anyway. It was fixed quicker than expected - recovered on a Friday afternoon and fixed by the following Wednesday under warranty. I received a loaner for the duration. One thing that slightly bugged me was the hire car people they used charging (not reserved) £150 on my credit card and refunded a few days after I returned the loaner, but my statement came in between so I was out of £150 for a month.

My advise is to call BMW Emergency and let them sort it from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had my 530e M Sport for 11 months and done just over 10k trouble free.

Tried fast charging as usual and got the message "main power too low" with a red light flashing on the car charger socket. Tried the 13A mains connector - no better.

A colleague with the same car has just had major surgery for a similar issue - failure of the charging system - £1000's to fix apparently.

I will be contacting BMW in the morning to see what they suggest. The engine bay did seem rather hot despite only running the car for a few seconds to reboot????

Will post an update.
A week later at the BMW dealership and the KLE has been changed and a few other parts - still not resolved. The dealership is in contact with Germany to find a solution. Apparently high resistance readings are causing a concern!! Could be water ingress to the electrical system or some other fault.

Here's the the deal breaker: The dealer e-mails BMW in Germany - Tech dept. and has to wait up to 2 days for a response as to what to try next - a joke.

Currently using a lease 520D M SPORT which is sort of OK - but the wheels look lost as they are just standard.

Too many of these cars are failing and BMW are keeping quiet about the real issues.

I wonder who will have the first one with the exploding lithium bomb, sorry battery.

I will be demanding an upgrade from the 520d if this is not resolved this week.

Spread the word - Apologies to Mercedes for defecting - I will be back very soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After two weeks all is sorted. BMW logged into my car from Germany and managed to update the software to remove the fault coding.

BMW UK customer service is dire, they just stick to a copy and paste script, with no real empathy for the customer.

Hopefully no more issues.

·
Registered
BMW 530e
8 Posts
Just had the house electrics trip out and plunge us into darkness while my 530e was charging 58% from empty according to the app. Trip on Rolec wall charger unit was off, but more worryingly so was the main house 63A breaker! Disconnected the car and got the house back on after my 'not so' smart meter decided all was safe and stopped flashing red LEDs. Car is showing the error 'Mains power too low'. I know it is the KLE which has blown and gone short circuit which caused a massive current, tripping the house breaker. Not good. Especially as this happened with a 330e I had a year ago! Exact same problem. Will be on the phone tomorrow morning to get it sorted, but I'm not happy with the way this fails short circuit. It should fail open, basic electrical safety design within the circuitry should ensure that. Looks like a known manufacturing design issue they are not admitting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hiya, just experienced the same issue on my September registered 530e (Fortunately still just in warranty!) In my case I was charging at home using an untethered Chargemaster wall box and a Mennekes cable supplied by Chargemaster. Chargemaster were given by the Dealership where I brought the car as the best option for home charging. My key indicated that there was a charging fault and with all lights off on the wall box I assumed there was an issue with that. I then realised that the fuse solely for the wallbox had tripped, and when I switched it back on, the wallbox reset and appeared fine. Looking in the car I saw an error message “Unable to Charge - Mains Power too low”. Tried a different cable and a public charge point still got the same message so contacted my BMW dealer. Car needed a new KLE Module and software update but was fully repaired under warranty. Dealership told me that they thought it was because I was using a non BMW cable that caused the problem. Can’t be true can it? I was so pleased I found this thread beforehand! Car is back, charging fine, thanks everyone for sharing!

·
Registered
BMW 530e
8 Posts
Hiya, just experienced the same issue on my September registered 530e (Fortunately still just in warranty!) In my case I was charging at home using an untethered Chargemaster wall box and a Mennekes cable supplied by Chargemaster. Chargemaster were given by the Dealership where I brought the car as the best option for home charging. My key indicated that there was a charging fault and with all lights off on the wall box I assumed there was an issue with that. I then realised that the fuse solely for the wallbox had tripped, and when I switched it back on, the wallbox reset and appeared fine. Looking in the car I saw an error message “Unable to Charge - Mains Power too low”. Tried a different cable and a public charge point still got the same message so contacted my BMW dealer. Car needed a new KLE Module and software update but was fully repaired under warranty. Dealership told me that they thought it was because I was using a non BMW cable that caused the problem. Can’t be true can it? I was so pleased I found this thread beforehand! Car is back, charging fine, thanks everyone for sharing!
I like the way they tried to blame the cable. It was the KLE that failed and blew the trip not the cable! Worries me that outside of warranty there will be people getting large repair bills and blamed for using the wrong cables or something absurd. It has happened to me twice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Tavvy, it was your posts that enabled me to sleep the night I got the call from the Dealer telling me that the cable could have been the issue and that they needed BMW approval before replacing the KLE module. Luckily I also remembered that BMW announced earlier in the year a deal with Chargemaster for a free wallbox if you brought a new PHEV from them. That offer is still current, and when I asked why they are still dealing with a Company who’s products they don’t recommend, they said that was only a local view. It’s clear from your research that the KLE module is the problem and BMW must know that, I just wonder how aware the dealerships are of this. Not very I would say based on their knowledge of PHEV’s in my experience. I have learnt a lot more from these forums both before and since purchase. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
214 Posts
.... I then realised that the fuse solely for the wallbox had tripped, and when I switched it back on, the wallbox reset and appeared fine. Looking in the car I saw an error message “Unable to Charge - Mains Power too low”. Tried a different cable and a public charge point still got the same message so contacted my BMW dealer. Car needed a new KLE Module and software update but was fully repaired under warranty.
Exactly the same happened with my i3, eleven months into my BMW used car warranty! In this case the whole drivetrain was removed from the car to replace the EME (not KLE). Repaired under warranty.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019
619 Posts
This was one of a litany of problems with my 740e, I posted on this thread in Sept 2018. Long story short, after weeks off the road, dozens of faults and a few thousand in legal fees I successfully rejected the car and terminated the lease early without penalty. Barons BMW - tried their very best, but let down by BMW - shamefully disinterested. BMW Leasing - slippery weasels. What a terrible experience, never again. They spent over 12 months stoking hatred in me by refusing to accept that this 80k car car was crap and (as suggested above) by blaming anything and evrything else. Eventually they lost. It's the last BMW I'll ever buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had the house electrics trip out and plunge us into darkness while my 530e was charging 58% from empty according to the app. Trip on Rolec wall charger unit was off, but more worryingly so was the main house 63A breaker! Disconnected the car and got the house back on after my 'not so' smart meter decided all was safe and stopped flashing red LEDs. Car is showing the error 'Mains power too low'. I know it is the KLE which has blown and gone short circuit which caused a massive current, tripping the house breaker. Not good. Especially as this happened with a 330e I had a year ago! Exact same problem. Will be on the phone tomorrow morning to get it sorted, but I'm not happy with the way this fails short circuit. It should fail open, basic electrical safety design within the circuitry should ensure that. Looks like a known manufacturing design issue they are not admitting.
Similar situation yesterday with our BMW 330E 73k km / 4 years-old car (ie not under guarantee anymore except I believe for the batteries which were guarantee 8 years I believe): the electricity board of the house basement dropped out. The house ent back on power without a glitch but this indicates that the car went over the 25A (while it is meant not to go above 12A) as no other equipment was operating. Since then it is not possible to charge anymore, not with my plu charger, nor with the power-cable for stand public EV plugs. "Unable to charge" is the message ("Charge impossible" en français).

Let's see but in case the KLE unit would have to be replaced out of guarantee that early, I would be very disappointed by the brand's quality.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Diagnosic (115 euros) confirmed: the electronic programming didn't help. The KLE of the 4 year old 330e has to be replaced: costs (manpower included) = 2100 euros :(

I expect a commercial gesture will be done as the batteries were guaranteed for much longer and this is obviously a part that has been badly designed. I calculated the cost of the KLE replacement per kilometre to be itself equivalent of the cost of the fuel that I would have consumed to drive the car distance done on electricity. VERY disappointing. Either I am really unlucky either the BMW technology for hybrid car (whetherver how pleasant it is for the driver) was immature in terms of reliability/testing.

On the same car I also add a defective adaptive lead headlight to be replaced (luckily just before guarantee) and the lambda sensor for the fuel exhaust. Overall, this is not the reliability I used to experience with BMW cars. The local service quality tries to compensate but this becomes insufficient. I am afraid it is about time to look back at the overall market offering, rather than stay in the position of the fidel BMW- driver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
.... and EV-philes wonder why folks are reluctant to move over to EVs?
Diagnosic (115 euros) confirmed: the electronic programming didn't help. The KLE of the 4 year old 330e has to be replaced: costs (manpower included) = 2100 euros :(

I expect a commercial gesture will be done as the batteries were guaranteed for much longer and this is obviously a part that has been badly designed. I calculated the cost of the KLE replacement per kilometre to be itself equivalent of the cost of the fuel that I would have consumed to drive the car distance done on electricity. VERY disappointing. Either I am really unlucky either the BMW technology for hybrid car (whetherver how pleasant it is for the driver) was immature in terms of reliability/testing.

On the same car I also add a defective adaptive lead headlight to be replaced (luckily just before guarantee) and the lambda sensor for the fuel exhaust. Overall, this is not the reliability I used to experience with BMW cars. The local service quality tries to compensate but this becomes insufficient. I am afraid it is about time to look back at the overall market offering, rather than stay in the position of the fidel BMW- driver.

I really wish you good luck with your request for some form of goodwill support with the repair. Unfortunately Tavvy was unsuccessful in the UK with the same appeal. It is galling though that such a widespread fault as this isn’t compensated at all by BMW outside of warranty, after all we are all being driven to EV’s. It might be worth using the link in Tavvy’s earlier post just to find out how many KLE modules there have been on the 330e model you have. Five in three years on the 5 series is far too many and indicates that it could be similar on your car. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
your message maybe different: The max charge of my 330e is 12A which is probably too much for your 13A ma8n connector If there is anything else. Try to reduce charging speed in the manu.

Your collegua issue sounds more similar to mine. the KLE module reliability sounds to me very low. I would expect those expensive parts to last much longer.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
346 Posts
Be fair, occasionally an ICE car needs a head gasket, or a turbo replacement (this is quite common actually), or a fuel pump goes at speed and the whole engine needs to be rebuilt, or a gearbox fails. Out of warranty, these types of things cost similar sums of money if not more.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts