Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 530e M Sport for 11 months and done just over 10k trouble free.

Tried fast charging as usual and got the message "main power too low" with a red light flashing on the car charger socket. Tried the 13A mains connector - no better.

A colleague with the same car has just had major surgery for a similar issue - failure of the charging system - £1000's to fix apparently.

I will be contacting BMW in the morning to see what they suggest. The engine bay did seem rather hot despite only running the car for a few seconds to reboot????

Will post an update.

·
9,719 Posts
Make sure the cable is properly seated at both ends and try another cable.

Check for any debris in the top two pins as low power warning is indicative of a communication problem.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 330e and had a “unable to charge, Service Request” message when it was 8 months old. Turned out to be the charge control unit (KLE).

I booked into a dealer, but the dealer advised that I should call BMW Emergency Service who recovered the car on a flatbed to the dealer I nominated anyway. It was fixed quicker than expected - recovered on a Friday afternoon and fixed by the following Wednesday under warranty. I received a loaner for the duration. One thing that slightly bugged me was the hire car people they used charging (not reserved) £150 on my credit card and refunded a few days after I returned the loaner, but my statement came in between so I was out of £150 for a month.

My advise is to call BMW Emergency and let them sort it from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had my 530e M Sport for 11 months and done just over 10k trouble free.

Tried fast charging as usual and got the message "main power too low" with a red light flashing on the car charger socket. Tried the 13A mains connector - no better.

A colleague with the same car has just had major surgery for a similar issue - failure of the charging system - £1000's to fix apparently.

I will be contacting BMW in the morning to see what they suggest. The engine bay did seem rather hot despite only running the car for a few seconds to reboot????

Will post an update.
A week later at the BMW dealership and the KLE has been changed and a few other parts - still not resolved. The dealership is in contact with Germany to find a solution. Apparently high resistance readings are causing a concern!! Could be water ingress to the electrical system or some other fault.

Here's the the deal breaker: The dealer e-mails BMW in Germany - Tech dept. and has to wait up to 2 days for a response as to what to try next - a joke.

Currently using a lease 520D M SPORT which is sort of OK - but the wheels look lost as they are just standard.

Too many of these cars are failing and BMW are keeping quiet about the real issues.

I wonder who will have the first one with the exploding lithium bomb, sorry battery.

I will be demanding an upgrade from the 520d if this is not resolved this week.

Spread the word - Apologies to Mercedes for defecting - I will be back very soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After two weeks all is sorted. BMW logged into my car from Germany and managed to update the software to remove the fault coding.

BMW UK customer service is dire, they just stick to a copy and paste script, with no real empathy for the customer.

Hopefully no more issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just had the house electrics trip out and plunge us into darkness while my 530e was charging 58% from empty according to the app. Trip on Rolec wall charger unit was off, but more worryingly so was the main house 63A breaker! Disconnected the car and got the house back on after my 'not so' smart meter decided all was safe and stopped flashing red LEDs. Car is showing the error 'Mains power too low'. I know it is the KLE which has blown and gone short circuit which caused a massive current, tripping the house breaker. Not good. Especially as this happened with a 330e I had a year ago! Exact same problem. Will be on the phone tomorrow morning to get it sorted, but I'm not happy with the way this fails short circuit. It should fail open, basic electrical safety design within the circuitry should ensure that. Looks like a known manufacturing design issue they are not admitting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts