Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just picked up a 19 plate 530e and would like a outdoor wall charger for convenience. However as the battery is small, I only want a 10A unit I that I can wire into a external weatherproof RCD socket or run through the wall to a 13A RCD.

I've googled and really cannot find anything that's designed to be wall mounted. Does such a thing exist? Can anyone recommend a outdoor IP65 or greater charger?

Thanks

Andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanted something more permanent. But apparently no such device exists. At least not one that’s dedicated to 10A charging.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,113 Posts
The Ohme wall charger can be software limited to 10 Amps if you contact them and request it, and the EO Mini 2 onwards can have the limit set by a DIP switches to 16 different settings including 6, 8, 10 or 13 Amps.

·
Registered
2021 BMW 530e
49 Posts
I was assuming the request was to provide a low power charging point in order to make it cheaper. Fitting a charging point capable of 32A, but then limiting it to 10A seems a bit pointless, although I suppose you could skimp on the wiring if you're going to be sure you never draw any more current than that.

But while you're going to the effort of putting in any wiring at all, you may as well make it 'future proof', for when you decide you actually want to be able to charge faster then you currently think you need.

Can I ask why you've decided that you only need 10A?

Have you looked at a commando socket?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My garage where it's going is separate from the house, so running a dedicated armoured feed from the house DB would be overkill. The garage only has a 16A breaker so as I can't see me going full EV any time soon, a fixed dedicated 10A charger will be plenty as the car will charge overnight happily and be full in a few hours.

What I've decided on to make it easy is a wall mounted (ish) 10A IP65 rated charger that will plug into an external RCD socket (similar to what you linked to). I'll put a new board in and give it it's own 16A MCB on the board running the 2.5mm cores via conduit to the RCD. Plenty of protection and it can live outside happily with the plug coiled up on a hanger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts