Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for a while but just bought a BMW C EVO, having previously owned a BMW C600 Sport, so thought now might be a good time to post

Happy to answer any questions on the Evo as there is little owner info available on the net. Most Evos seem to be BMW demonstrators as far as I can work out, which is a shame because it's a great vehicle

I use it daily to commute into London, for which it's perfect. Based on my commute it's probably going to save me close to £1000 a year in fuel, parking, tax and servicing costs. I was initially concerned that the range might be a bit tight during the winter, but pleased to report that based on using the Road setting its forecasting 75 miles to a charge

So far I haven't noticed any real difference with awareness from other vehicles, cyclists, pedestrians etc. It's not totally silent so I think that helps with cyclists etc unless they have earphones in. It's incredibly quick accelerating which helps with staying safe and the handling of it seems at least as good as the C600 if not better

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,264 Posts
What's the range/performance like on the motorway? Will you/Have you tried yet?

How is the insurance?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's supposed to be limited to 75 leptons but I have seen 80 leptons on the motorway. At that speed it was using about half the available power so I would hope it has a reasonable range still, although my commute only has about 4 miles of motorway so I've not tested it to the extreme yet.

Insurance was interesting as it almost scuppered everything! My previous C600 insurance was about £250 but when I tried to get a quote it seemed that no one was willing to quote me as its not on their systems. In the end the only quote I got was from BMW directly for £150, which I think is a bargain. It still confuses them as they keep ringing up to question the 0cc stated. Stupidly the insurance works on average power so you can ride it on a beginner bike licence, but in my view it's way too powerful for beginners

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are maxi scooters so actually pretty comfortable with good weather protection

The seat is ok but definitely after an hour my bum is beginning to lose feeling!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The Leaf seats in my Acenta aren't great either. 1 1/2 hours and I'm ready to get out and stretch. No lumbar support or ability to tilt the base.

Multiway electric seats are best in my experience.

·
Banned
389 Posts
@Milo I saw one at the Reading 'windmill' and thought this bike was awesome!

I've researched further - but could find none for sale, in UK. Might I ask if you bought it as a normal customer - or did manage to find a way to make the bike more affordable?

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The scooter definite looks interesting. If I could do my work on a scooter and carry everything, I would consider it, or a Zero.

They cost more than my Leaf though and my wife wouldn't ride it (n)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I test road one last summer when they were launched, but £14k was too rich for my blood

Over the summer the BMW official used site had several for sale - most ex BMW Head Office (ie demo). Park Lane had 3 for sale all with sub 1k miles. I managed to negotiate one for under £10k included the touring screen and top box. These rectify the main problem with the bike, as it has limited under seat storage and a stupidly low screen to start with

It's still not a cheap option as scooters have low sticker prices and high mpg, but the saving of £1k a year allowed my man maths to justify the spend!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rode the Evo twice. Acceleration is so damn brutal that I suddenly had my knees at my ears :)
I drive a BMW S1000RR but this scooter has more power starting from 0.
Love it! Waiting to get it for less than 10.000 Euros ...

Range
We drove about 50 km (with pillon) and enjoyed the acceleration a lot (no energy saving mode). It still had more than 70 km left. So I guess range is 120km minimum on country roads.

·
Banned
1,698 Posts
Park Lane had 3 for sale all with sub 1k miles. I managed to negotiate one for under £10k included the touring screen and top box.
That a cracking deal.

It's still not a cheap option as scooters have low sticker prices and high mpg, but the saving of £1k a year allowed my man maths to justify the spend!
To be fair, maxi scoots are shockingly pricey and even the petrol versions make me gasp (and I even bought a new Silver Wing in 2001 for £6k or so!).

The Vectrix was a good start and the BMW is a generation on from that. I guess the price is in the ball park but can see why the market has really rejected it at £13k. £9k is a lot more tempting....

·
Banned
389 Posts
As an ex-Gold Wing rider, I've had experience of the mega acceleration of a big powerful engine that whined softly, like a gas turbine. I suspect the C-Evolution just wants throw you off the back. However, I hope the deceleration is gentler than the epic Johammer that I tried last year!

If the C-Evolution is just a touch gentler that these Leviathans - it would better suit my increasing maturity! I'll be keeping a weather eye on the re-sale market, for sure!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the Vectrix suffered because it didn't have the brand name backing it and the riding experience was more like a 125

The Evo experience is bordering on Sports 600 quick, especially from 0 up. It has 3/8 of the i3 batteries but weighs only a fifth, and we all know how punchy an i3 is away from the lights

I think it needs to be below £10k in order to sell, but I'm pretty sure that BMW probably make zero profit on them new at list. Other than switch gear there seems to be little shared parts with the c600 even though they look similar!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@OBrian - like all these things you get used to the acceleration after a bit. It always reminds me of the speeder chase in Return of the Jedi!

The deceleration in Dynamic or Eco mode is too brutal for everyday use, as I'm worried about someone crashing into the back of me with no brake lights. The regen in Road mode is about right and in most instances I don't need to use the brakes. However if that mode is still too much you can pop it into Sail mode which is like freewheeling on a push bike

·
Banned
389 Posts
@Milo Is there a situation where injudicious regen could provoke a skid on the C-Evo? We've all felt the judder when ABS reduces brake application and on a motorbike that can be unsettling - IMHO. What might happen on a E-bike (any brand) if you overdo the closure of the throttle! It would seem to me that it would not be difficult to break traction with the back wheel?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@OBrian the bike has both ABS and traction control, but I think it very unlikely that the regen would ever cause the loss of traction. The regen feels more like the engine braking on a normal bike - in its highest setting its like riding a larger thumper or twin. Pulling the brake lever also activates the regen.

I think one of the best things about the Evo is that it's very well calibrated, so it never feels harsh and both the throttle feel and regen replicates a normal bike. If you do give it full beans from the off its easy to trigger the traction control which can be a little unnerving but it's easy to ride around it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had to take the bike to the dealer today in order to get the top box fitted. As its mainly motorway and given @donald questions, I thought I'd reset the computers and get some stats for you guys to crunch.

The journey was 20 miles including approx 1 mile of non motorway at either end, so about 36 motorway miles. I was doing between 60-70 on the motorway most of the way and my average speed was 33mph.

The bike computer said my average consumption was 7.7mi/kWh and that I had 35% charge left with 22 miles of range left. I'm still pretty new at this so not exactly sure what all that means in overall economy/range etc

On an interesting note, I found out that BMW registered 15 bikes for the London marathon as camera bikes. These must be the ones that were for sale over summer with low mileage. I suspect it's similar to when BMW supplied all the Olympic cars, they don't advertise them all for sale otherwise it floods the market. So if they do the same for this years marathon, there may be a few discounted 50 mile bikes available in the Spring!

P

·
0 Posts
I had thought long and hard about one of these in the summer when ex bikers tend to look wistfully at MCN (who incidentally heaped glowing praise upon it).

My wife is anti bike but is much softer on scooters. I think this is because she feels scooter riders - and the stats appear to corroborate this - are less of a risk to themselves. Unlike moped riders they need an A license (although in the case of the BMW you don't need it?), and unlike motorcycle riders they tend to use their more utilitarian machines for point to point journeys rather than going out to get their knee down. I was never that sort of rider anyway.

Electric scooters make the same sort of sense that electric cars do, such as a superior weight balance (most reviews seem to report the bike feeling lighter, despite it actually being heavier, courtesy of the pack being low down, a constant weight and no fuel slopping about in corners) and of course the power delivery we all know about from the off.

Just a lot of money. And none on the used market.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Having recently crashed an ICE motorbike on wet roads , unfortunately with my wife on the back, she too is anti bike at present!

I've had a range of bikes including 1000cc sports bikes, supermotos etc but realised a while ago that maxi scooters are perfect for the job of commuting. Fast enough to still give you the thrill of being on two wheels but lots of comfort and storage for covering point to point trips. The C Evo is my fifth maxi scoot and definitely the best handling. I find this surprising vs it's brother the C 600 Sport, as I'm sure that the fuel tank must be down low as well. The C Evo feels lighter than the sport which again is surprising

I find that the biggest impact on safety is between your ears. Some bikers and scooter riders seemed compelled to go for every last gap or overtake in an effort to prove something to themselves or other drivers. Personally I'm happy getting to work 5 mins later if it means there is 50% less risk involved

When I was looking for a C Evo I found that the dealers hadn't always listed them. They claimed an admin error but I think what this really meant was that it wasn't in the dealers own stock, but held centrally by BMW, as they had to get the bike shipped to the dealer

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,264 Posts
@Milo , how are you getting on with your C EVO? I'd be interested to hear any discussions on it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts