Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under Krüger, BMW wasted their lead in EVs. Waiting to see who replaces him.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,044 Posts
Yes, the leaders in EVs are clear to see right now. Those that are producing no EVs versus those that are producing .... a small dribble .....

·
23,044 Posts
Who is making a half million EVs a year?

Or are you talking about electrified ICE vehicles too, which are a fop to EVs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tesla will be over the next 12 months or close to it

·
23,044 Posts
Tesla will be over the next 12 months or close to it
Ah! This is that strange future-present tense known only to Teslarati.

·
Super Moderator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the leaders in EVs are clear to see right now. Those that are producing no EVs versus

Under Kruger BMW canceled the i3 follow on and developed an ICE only 3 series. BMWs next EV, the iX3 is coming out after similar BEVs from Jaguar, Mercedes and Audi.

BMW lost US market share to Tesla. Tesla's model 3 is easily outselling BMW's 3er. Kruger misread the market and underestimated Tesla. That is why BMW are replacing him.

·
Super Moderator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Even at the current production rate of 90000 a quarter you think that is a trickle?
No not a trickle. 90,000 is roughly the same as MINI world-wide quarterly sales volume in 2018.
World-wide, BMW sold about 530,000 units per quarter in 2018. That includes X range and all the petrol and diesel cars.

BMW Group sell more vehicles than Telsa in the US. It isn't even that close. BMW Group are BMW, BMW-i, MINI and Rolls Royce.

USA Year to Date (YTD) 2019
BMW Group 174,022 - Down 1.14% from last year.
Tesla 83,900 Up 62.44% from last year.

Tesla are doing well in the segments where they compete. BMW are not.

USA YTD 2019
Tesla Model 3 46,426 up 153% from last YTD
MB C-Class 23,110 down 3.37% from last YTD
BMW 3-series 16,231 down 21% from last YTD
BMW i3 1733 down 41% from last YTD

Sources:

·
23,044 Posts
Anyway, back to the bullshit, can we please clarify....

Half a million EVs a year by the leading EV manufacturer and growing is hardly a dribble.
This is all in the present tense. Please state clearly who is making half a million EVs a year. We had been talking about BMW in that post, but you seem to have someone different in mind. Who?

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Under Kruger BMW canceled the i3 follow on and developed an ICE only 3 series. BMWs next EV, the iX3 is coming out after similar BEVs from Jaguar, Mercedes and Audi.

BMW lost US market share to Tesla. Tesla's model 3 is easily outselling BMW's 3er. Kruger misread the market and underestimated Tesla. That is why BMW are replacing him.
Agree. He also may have misread the market in canceling the i3 follow-on. i3 sales in Europe so far this year are 85% up on the previous year. BMW doubled the i3 production line to 200K units a year a while back. Sales in Germany are very strong.

With falling battery prices the carbon fibre bodyshell is expensive and makes the car expensive. However with the shortage of batteries putting a smaller battery in a light car to have the same range as a bigger battery in a heavier car and thus being able to sell more units when supply of battery cells may be a limiting factor might have been a smarter move.

For half as much again battery capacity my 94Ah i3 has almost double the range (about 160 electric miles in summer ) of the four year old 24 kWh LEAF (about 85 miles) it replaced. The i3 can achieve at best 175 Wh per mile which I suspect is the most efficient car you can buy.

The Model 3 days in the sunshine of Europe may be limited as soon as BMW produce a BEV SUV and/or Series 3 BEV follow-up to challenge it.

·
Super Moderator
10,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Series 3 BEV follow-up to challenge it.
There is no announced 3-series BEV. Just last month, BMW's director of development said there isn't any demand for pure EVs.

BMW announced that upcoming pure EV models will all have the i prefix. BMW are leaving the expensive innovative carbon fibre life module behind them. The next BMW EVs will all be on shared platforms with metal bodies.

iX3 is battery version of X3. i4 is BEV version of 4 series.

My guess is the 3-series BEV won't happen until well after the end of i3 production.

BMW recently showed off an engineering prototype that uses three iX3 motors stuck in an 5 series. But this is a test-mule. BMW are years behind where they could be. They are concentrating on plug-in hybrids and

·
Registered
922 Posts
It seems very short-term thinking by BMW. It's clear more and more places in Europe will have to bring in bans of conventional powered vehicles, in order to comply with emission limits. Whilst initially hybrids will be compliant, pure EV will be the route required, as restrictions get ramped up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Anyway, back to the bullshit, can we please clarify....

This is all in the present tense. Please state clearly who is making half a million EVs a year. We had been talking about BMW in that post, but you seem to have someone different in mind. Who?
See my previous post if you can get past your own gibberish.

·
23,044 Posts
See my previous post if you can get past your own gibberish.
Do you mean this one?
Even at the current production rate of 90000 a quarter you think that is a trickle? How's your dead cat bounce theory working out?
I ask the unanswered question again; who IS making 500,000 EVs a year?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts