Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
The best there is at what I do
10,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just renewed my warranty for a further year, I did consider not renewing but looking at the cost of repairs didn't want to take the in my opinion considerable risk, while renewing I noticed that they will only renew warranty up to 60,000 miles for i cars whereas ICE cars can have it extended to 100,000 miles, this is contrary to being told that the i3 should be a lot more reliable because there are isn't a conventional engine and associated components.

When I had my MOT done this year I asked about the condition of the brakes and the MOT tester said it looks like its had new pads recently, it hasn't and its 5 years old.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Provided the brake discs don’t corrode due to lack of use they will last a very long time - as will the pads.

·
Registered
17 Reg BMW i3 94ah REX Grey
2 Posts
Don't think that's right. The 02/20 version of the 'BMW Insured Warranty Policy Handbook' says (Pg 11):
"... a mileage limitation off 100,000 at the commencement date for Comprehensive and Named Component Cover".

The only mention of 60K miles seems to be in a letter I received from BMW Insured Warranty Services: 'For i models, only Comprehensive cover is available for vehicles with less than 60,000 miles a the Insured Warranty start date.'

In other words, if your i3 or i8 has done less than 60K miles, you have to have Comprehensive Cover or nothing - Named Component Cover is not available.

The high-voltage battery is not covered, though!! Expect you have to rely on the initial Warranty - 8 years for my i3, I think.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts