·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very poor response from BMW today...

"Following our recent conversation using Live Chat dated September 25, 2014, regarding the BMW i8 battery warranty document request, I now have some information for you.

We are unable to provide the warranty document directly, as there has been no vehicle purchase. It is normal for this document to be supplied at the handover of your new vehicle. You can contact your local BMW i Agent who may, at their discretion make this available to you.

I am sorry I have not been able to assist you on this occasion"

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
We are unable to provide the warranty document directly, as there has been no vehicle purchase. It is normal for this document to be supplied at the handover of your new vehicle. You can contact your local BMW i Agent who may, at their discretion make this available to you.
In your shoes I would ask for sight of the warranty wording so that you can understand the terms of the contract you are considering entering.

Maybe they don't want to work too hard to sell one of their £100k cars?

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In your shoes I would ask for sight of the warranty wording so that you can understand the terms of the contract you are considering entering.
I personally recommend that people lease not buy new electric cars today. The technology is moving so fast and resell prices are so uncertain that I think it's better to dump the risk on a lease company than take it on personally :)

I'm interested in the i8 because I fancy converting it to electric once it's out of warranty... obviously, if I can't even read the warranty before I buy the car then this is going nowhere :confused:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I personally recommend that people lease not buy new electric cars today. The technology is moving so fast and resell prices are so uncertain that I think it's better to dump the risk on a lease company than take it on personally :)

I'm interested in the i8 because I fancy converting it to electric once it's out of warranty... obviously, if I can't even read the warranty before I buy the car then this is going nowhere :confused:
I've seen a Mk1 LEAF change hands at £8,000. At that price buy it and drive it into the ground. Or take the 2016 battery back replacement option.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I wonder if that could be challenged in court?

Surely, in buying a car, as in buying anything, you are entering into a contract with the seller. The terms and conditions of sale along with the warranty must represent the terms of the contract. I am no lawyer but I would have thought, in my ignorance, that for any contract to be considered fair and therefore enforceable, that the parties concerned must enter that contract aware of the terms. By not permitting prospective customers to review the warranty terms I would have thought that the contract cannot be enforceable as the buyer is being forced into agreeing to the terms without being allowed to consider them prior to signing.

This is quite bizarre.

·
1,551 Posts
I wonder if that could be challenged in court?

Surely, in buying a car, as in buying anything, you are entering into a contract with the seller. The terms and conditions of sale along with the warranty must represent the terms of the contract. I am no lawyer but I would have thought, in my ignorance, that for any contract to be considered fair and therefore enforceable, that the parties concerned must enter that contract aware of the terms. By not permitting prospective customers to review the warranty terms I would have thought that the contract cannot be enforceable as the buyer is being forced into agreeing to the terms without being allowed to consider them prior to signing.

This is quite bizarre.
It may be more common than not. The car industry wants to tug at your emotional desire for the vehicle and hit you with the "fine print" at the time that you sign to purchase the vehicle. Therefore, the contract is still valid because you could take the time to read everything and decide to back away from the purchase before you drive off with the vehicle.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Excellent news that this is the case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts