Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've just checked with my local BMW dealer (Dick Lovett Swindon) and they've quoted me £204 for my first service - not as crazy as I expected but also still a little steep (I paid £110 for a Volvo S90 diesel first service from the Volvo dealer!).

What is the general consensus on servicing these? Is it worth looking for someone else local? EV's aren't as easy to shop around for servicing it seems despite their relative simplicity!

Cheers for any advice!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hopefully it still has 2 year service intervals. I paid £239 for my 2017 Rex model and that has a small engine and thus needed an oil change etc. I find it amazing that EV manufacturers are still desperately trying to charge for servicing for EVs when they all admit that there is “nothing much to service!”
It is the definition of a RIP off.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
707 Posts
There are still things that need to be done on a fairly regular schedule. Brake fluid does degrade over time and needs to be replaced, pollen filters get blocked more or less depending on where you live and where the car is driven, and simply put the car needs to be inspected periodically by a competent individual (though in the UK the MOT covers a lot of this). Shouldn't be a reason why people can't do these things at independent garages and so on, but the dealers have to offer these services and inevitably they will probably charge more than most people think they should pay ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best price for a first service on 120ah i3 was £240 (BMW Harry Fairbairn, Inverness). BMW franchise in Perth (BMW Grassicks) quoted £288 and Dundee (BMW John Clark) £260.

Pricing seems like highway robbery given the simplicity of the actual service - brake fluid and pollen filter change, brief inspection + "standard scope" (whatever that is). My car goes in later this month and I'm preparing myself for the inevitable phone call informing me that "all the brake rotors and pads need changing".

I've checked the price of the parts alone for a complete brake change for both axles: discounted price from an actual BMW dealer came to £446.03. BMW OE parts from Autodoc online (made by ATE and Textar) £240. Having my own mental sweepstake on what the Inverness BMW dealer will want for supplying and fitting new brakes. £900 seems a nice round figure! Will let you know.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best price for a first service on 120ah i3 was £240 (BMW Harry Fairbairn, Inverness). BMW franchise in Perth (BMW Grassicks) quoted £288 and Dundee (BMW John Clark) £260.

Pricing seems like highway robbery given the simplicity of the actual service - brake fluid and pollen filter change, brief inspection + "standard scope" (whatever that is). My car goes in later this month and I'm preparing myself for the inevitable phone call informing me that "all the brake rotors and pads need changing".

I've checked the price of the parts alone for a complete brake change for both axles: discounted price from an actual BMW dealer came to £446.03. BMW OE parts from Autodoc online (made by ATE and Textar) £240. Having my own mental sweepstake on what the Inverness BMW dealer will want for supplying and fitting new brakes. £900 seems a nice round figure! Will let you know.
I know what you mean! Unfortunately the local Hyundai dealer whom I usually use (business relationship gets me good prices) don't fancy it even though they do the Kona EV's, not knowing BMW's checklist etc so I've booked in the £204 service for later in the year. I'll ask if I can have a tea in the 15 minutes it takes to do... 😜

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

Just sold my previous i3 2016 83k miles still in original pads and discs. Still life in then.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
For my 94AH Rex with ~4000 miles at the time I got stung by my dealer for £433 including VAT for the first service. This covered engine oil, brake fluid and microfilter. I live in the Thames Valley.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I said:

"I've checked the price of the parts alone for a complete brake change for both axles: discounted price from an actual BMW dealer came to £446.03. BMW OE parts from Autodoc online (made by ATE and Textar) £240. Having my own mental sweepstake on what the Inverness BMW dealer will want for supplying and fitting new brakes. £900 seems a nice round figure! Will let you know."

Half correct! The i3 was in for its service yesterday. The technician, on the personal video of my car, told that me both front and rear brake rotors were corroded and that the rear ones need replacing......at a cost of £461 (including pads presumably?) Got me speculating that the total cost of a front and rear brake job at a franchised BMW dealer would be in excess of £1k!

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
I said:

"I've checked the price of the parts alone for a complete brake change for both axles: discounted price from an actual BMW dealer came to £446.03. BMW OE parts from Autodoc online (made by ATE and Textar) £240. Having my own mental sweepstake on what the Inverness BMW dealer will want for supplying and fitting new brakes. £900 seems a nice round figure! Will let you know."

Half correct! The i3 was in for its service yesterday. The technician, on the personal video of my car, told that me both front and rear brake rotors were corroded and that the rear ones need replacing......at a cost of £461 (including pads presumably?) Got me speculating that the total cost of a front and rear brake job at a franchised BMW dealer would be in excess of £1k!
Presumably you asked him what the actual replacement criteria was that he was referring to, like minimum thickness. Corrosion on its own is not a replacement criteria.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Presumably you asked him what the actual replacement criteria was that he was referring to, like minimum thickness. Corrosion on its own is not a replacement criteria.
The front and rears are fairly corroded and grooved; the rears more so but still serviceable IMO. The tech said brake replacement was a "recommendation" (AKA up-sell) rather than an urgent requirement.

We run the i3 throughout the winter up here in the Scottish Highlands (nr Aviemore) and - probably - have the most heavily salted/gritted roads in the UK. It's quite an aggressive environment for brake rotors on any car, and even more of a problem for cars with regen braking where the brakes are used less so don't self clean/scour as they would on an ICE vehicle.

I have 3 cars and do quite a lot of my own servicing including a proper strip down brake service every year - pads off, descaled & lubed, pistons pushed back, slide pins removed and cleaned etc.. The i3 went into the dealer to keep the main dealer service history intact but of course the official BMW servicing work scope doesn't include old school brake servicing so I'll be doing that to the car in the autumn.

The video made me laugh because I just knew the up-sell was coming.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
The front and rears are fairly corroded and grooved; the rears more so but still serviceable IMO. The tech said brake replacement was a "recommendation" (AKA up-sell) rather than an urgent requirement.

We run the i3 throughout the winter up here in the Scottish Highlands (nr Aviemore) and - probably - have the most heavily salted/gritted roads in the UK. It's quite an aggressive environment for brake rotors on any car, and even more of a problem for cars with regen braking where the brakes are used less so don't self clean/scour as they would on an ICE vehicle.

I have 3 cars and do quite a lot of my own servicing including a proper strip down brake service every year - pads off, descaled & lubed, pistons pushed back, slide pins removed and cleaned etc.. The i3 went into the dealer to keep the main dealer service history intact but of course the official BMW servicing work scope doesn't include old school brake servicing so I'll be doing that to the car in the autumn.

The video made me laugh because I just knew the up-sell was coming.
Upsell indeed
It probably works 50% of the time.

·
Registered
630 Posts
They (dealers) chance their arm each and every time. These expensive dealerships with cafes,coffee and free Wi-fi (lol) do not come cheap. As freddym states if 50% of customers fall for it then they are reaping the rewards. The “video” overview is a load of cobblers. Apart from having a nice view of the flat bottom of my i3 it provided absolutely no more information than what I knew beforehand examine the tyres etc on my driveway. Seems all manufacturers seem to provide this “service” now. Helps to bump up their service price a bit.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
They (dealers) chance their arm each and every time. These expensive dealerships with cafes,coffee and free Wi-fi (lol) do not come cheap. As freddym states if 50% of customers fall for it then they are reaping the rewards. The “video” overview is a load of cobblers. Apart from having a nice view of the flat bottom of my i3 it provided absolutely no more information than what I knew beforehand examine the tyres etc on my driveway. Seems all manufacturers seem to provide this “service” now. Helps to bump up their service price a bit.
Yeah, I politely declined the last free offer of the video BS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was quoted £306-08 (not sure if it included vat) for my first '69-plate 120Ah BEV 2-yr service at just under 5000ml. - For a pair of cabin filters and a brake fluid change? :oops:

I'd only 1 week previously taken my car in for it's second mains lead recall (what was that about?) and it was inspected as well. Why couldn't they have just given me the new lead?

So I bought the filters and a litre of dot4 (~£16), booked it into the local small garage, paid 1 hour's labour (£65 + vat) and got a receipt that was proof of 'service'. I zeroed the service alert myself using the procedure from the BMW i3 forum so I expect I'll get an alert in 12months time for an inspection and filter change again. I wonder how much BMW would've liked me to pay for that?

I don't know how they're able to keep a straight face in those dealerships...

·
Registered
496 Posts
Font Music Parallel Monochrome Paper

First service (2 year) i3s BEV done on 10/08/21 Hope this helps shows what they do and codes - always annoyed about the screen wash - effectively it is Brake Fluid and Microfilter change plus a load of checks it seems. £314.28 at BMW local dealer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
View attachment 149561
First service (2 year) i3s BEV done on 10/08/21 Hope this helps shows what they do and codes - always annoyed about the screen wash - effectively it is Brake Fluid and Microfilter change plus a load of checks it seems. £314.28 at BMW local dealer. Hope this helps.
Fill up the screen wash full before the service. Then when they charge you for it ask for the rest of the bottle that they would not have been able to add because it was already full to the line. Usually out will come a fresh bottle with the smallest token amount removed to make it look as if they had topped it up. :)

·
Registered
496 Posts
Fill up the screen wash full before the service. Then when they charge you for it ask for the rest of the bottle that they would not have been able to add because it was already full to the line. Usually out will come a fresh bottle with the smallest token amount removed to make it look as if they had topped it up. :)
Normally do this - sadly forgot :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts