Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Don't forget that the i3 is start-able, with a flat 12V battery, by just plugging in the normal charger (granny if away from home) - need to use the manual key and manual charging port openers. So not a very big problem. Check out the manual for full details.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Having said that, whatever the cell chemistry most manufacturers of Li-ion driven appliances say to keep at 50% SOC.
And if you do that rather than keep to BMW recommendations and the pack requires warranty work before the eight year period is up........I’d rather be able to say it was kept exactly as per the recommendations than I thought I knew better after reading the interweb forums when fighting for a warranty claim ;)

·
Registered
614 Posts
I think it’s more about keeping the 12v battery charged rather than the traction battery. Direct charging the 12 volt battery is not recommended (although people do it) so you either need to put the car in start mode or connect the main charger via granny, home charger or whatever. In practice I don’t imagine there is much deterioration in main battery life to keep fully charged (I.e. 90%) or 50%. If away for several weeks the only way to charge the 12 volt is by keeping the car plugged in. If you leave it unplugged the 12 volt battery my become discharged and the life will be reduced.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts