Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had it fitted.

The boot lip collects dirt and scratches like mad. It was annoying so took my car in and had it measured. Took a couple of weeks to manufacture the first batch for the i3. And now all done. It took less than 10 minutes for fitting (including cleaning the lip before install).

I think this is the first seriously useful bespoke fitting accessory for the i3?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you selling them or is someone else selling them?
I'm not selling them :) you can't buy them yet for the i3 either!

Truly unique (for now). Keep an eye on rearguards.co.uk or send them an email?

I lent them my car for a few hours to help them create a template!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm not selling them :) you can't buy them yet for the i3 either!

Truly unique (for now). Keep an eye on rearguards.co.uk or send them an email?

I lent them my car for a few hours to help them create a template!
Guess you got that for free then. :p

But i would imagine the carbon trim will get scratched much more easily and more noticeable :(

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yes. We should swap usernames :)

But i would imagine the carbon trim will get scratched much more easily and more noticeable :(
The carbon finish is very convincing isn't it? Happily it is made of thin ABS plastic.

There will be a whole load of finishes to go for. I tried on the Matt black, but decided it didn't go well with the BMW Jet Black (gloss) finish on the black panels..
image.jpg

·
The best there is at what I do
10,644 Posts

I guess it would just be a case of replacing the trim strip as long as the glue wasn't industrial grade should it should come off fairly easily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reviving a long-stale thread, I want to once again thank this forum -- this thread specifically -- for making me aware of this product. I coughed up a little bit of blood paying for shipping to the US, but this was really, truly my only good option (short of forwarding it to my cousin in Wolverhampton and hoping she'd ship it -- not likely!).

Here's a link to my write up & photos on the mybmwi3 forum if anybody is interested: (Review) RGM Rearguard vs. tailgate scratches... - BMW i3 Forum

I think it'd be slick if, instead of ABS plastic, this could be had in CFRP with a flat, non-gloss finish and a weave pattern that you'd really need to be looking for to notice, matching the rest of the i3's CFRP. But the phony glossy weave finish just doesn't do it for me, To each their own, I know, I know. I like that the flat black doesn't pretend to be anything and just disappears as part of the car.

Cheers!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I bought one of the Carbon Fibre ones from RGM, still in shed as I read that you needed the ambient temperature to be over 10C for the adhesive to work. It has been in my shed since November. I guess it is time to get it out and fit it. The glue may stick now.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I bought one of the Carbon Fibre ones from RGM, still in shed as I read that you needed the ambient temperature to be over 10C for the adhesive to work. It has been in my shed since November. I guess it is time to get it out and fit it. The glue may stick now.
Too late, it is getting colder over the weekend... My dashcams suggest ambient temperature of 20C...

·
Registered
45 Posts
My temps were fine but we got a little rain last night after I installed it. I hope that's not the equivalent of a car wash. I'd hate to have this detach and go fluttering away.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Like I said, to each their own. The Rearguard is there to do a job, first and foremost.

I probably wouldn't be so anti if the piece was really made of carbon fiber. I'm looking at the i3 door sill and thinking, yeah, maybe I would could have gone with that. I'm pleased BMW didn't try to put an applique over to hide it since it's not the prettiest and a bit organic-looking.

My college roommate went to work as a designer for a very small startup (early 90's) making hardshell backpacks for cyclists and motorcyclists. They offered two versions of the pack, an injection molded ABS plastic pack, and an in-house, hand-laid carbon fiber version. The ABS was the everyman pack, and the CF was the "premium" piece that sold for twice the price. But guess which one cost more to produce?

I know it's not realistic, but a legitimate CFRP Rearguard would be pretty cool.

Then again, the plain black ABS Rearguard compliments the ABS scuff plate just inside the tailgate, with the thin piano black strip running between the two. As I wrote, it's so close to a factory look.

In any event yours looks fantastic after two years installed. Mine is already filthy, too. All the dew drops like to collect there and leave dirty spots behind.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Finally temperature is between 18C and 30C (the recommended temperature range for fitting in the instructions). so have fitted my boot lip protector. This is carbon finish. My vehicle is black looks good and better than scuffed boot lip 👍

1 - 19 of 19 Posts