Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, my wife's i3 is now in not very good shape. As a result of the rear bumper hitting a pole while parking, the glass covering the tail lights is now broken in a million pieces. The dent on the bumper is small enough to think that the impact has not been terribly bad, but yet, the glass covering the rear boot and the tail lights is now broken.

Worse than that, BMW advised that there is no way to repair or replace the glass only, needing an entirely new boot and a new bumper as well. The estimate says £3,000.

Besides wondering how a car could be so impractical that needs a complete replacement of expensive parts for a simple stupid damage that could have been repaired with 200 quids with any other car, I'm now wondering if we have been given the right advice.

Is there any experience from members of this community on repairing or replacing the glass only? Have you received a different quote for the same work?

i3-damage.jpg

The picture here should show pretty well what I mean with broken... Sadly, it looks like something exploded whereas it was just a hit while parking. Can't imagine what would happen in a serious accident!

Thanks All, I hope someone could help with some sensible advice.

·
9,719 Posts
Rear hatch is manufactured as a single unit and has to be purchased as such. It is possible to replace the window as a single piece but not the lower assembly.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I am sorry to see this. I have no answers for you, but car design is now completely nuts. Cars are fast moving moving heavy objects that WILL end up with dings and dents in normal use. To design them in a way that effectively writes off a car when minor damage occurs is fraudulent. Car insurance is already very expensive, bad design makes the situation even worse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear hatch is manufactured as a single unit and has to be purchased as such. It is possible to replace the window as a single piece but not the lower assembly.
That's what they told me. Having seen other owners struggle with the same, I thought I could give it a try and see if anyone had figured out a way of saving ££ on a repair rather than a replacement. Thanks, BMW.

·
CTiD
410 Posts
I'd be looking at breakers too... there are some recent eBay listings for i3 parts... or if you are fully comp (you surely are) then make a claim.... shit happens after all

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I think you'll find that it was more than the bumper that hit the pole. The bumper has probably caved in and sprung back out as it is designed to do but the hatch must have hit it too to do that damage.

I feel your pain though brother!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,632 Posts
I'm really glad I've got parking sensors and I'll be extra careful reversing from now on, the posts that protect the chargers always worry me:eek:

·
10,632 Posts
Quick story about parking sensors, I have a friend who drives a van with parking sensors and had to swap vans, then he reversed through a massive roller door because he was waiting for the parking sensors to tell him how close he was, the new van didn't have parking sensors.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Worse than that, BMW advised that there is no way to repair or replace the glass only, needing an entirely new boot and a new bumper as well. The estimate says £3,000.
See if a 3rd party body shop will work on the car. You might save a bit on labour and they may be able to repair the bumper cover instead of replacing it.

If you are leasing the i3, you need to be careful about the repair. It if isn't done to a certain standard you might be charged when you hand back the car.

·
10,632 Posts
When I first got my Smart car there was a hole in the rear wing, easy fix I thought being plastic, after a few attempts it was cheaper to just replace the wing, I guess thats why there are loads of damaged i3 panels on Ebay.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Does anyone consider to protect the rear boot glass with ClearPlex Protection? That would be a great solution against minor damage.
Think that kind of damage is binary, same as say drivers window as it is clearly heat treated and when it goes you are left with the smallest crazy paving done in glass. Or you get out and say phew that was close, as opposed to going how much and posting on the forum for ideas!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Faced with this, I'd wonder if it would be just fine removing the broken rear glass and leaving it off....with perhaps some 'helicopter tape' over the exposed section.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone consider to protect the rear boot glass with ClearPlex Protection? That would be a great solution against minor damage.
Windshield Protection Film | ClearPlex® Windshield Protection Film

I would think that this could be quite dangerous in an accident if it takes longer to break the glass. Bet the fire brigade aren't happy with this stuff, if they can't break the glass on the first hit they maybe confused and get very worried why they can't break it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would think that this could be quite dangerous in an accident if it takes longer to break the glass. Bet the fire brigade aren't happy with this stuff, if they can't break the glass on the first hit they maybe confused and get very worried why they can't break it!
I agree with your point, but my point was to protect with ClearPlex film the glass which covers bmw i3's rear boot only because of it's unreasonable repair cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BMW only want £600 inc vat for tailgate, why so expensive (first post quoted £3000) fitted, eventually autoglass will catch on and start doing replacements, they are available in USA

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
BMW only want £600 inc vat for tailgate, why so expensive (first post quoted £3000) fitted, eventually autoglass will catch on and start doing replacements, they are available in USA

From personal experience, I doubt it. The cost of a new tailgate is £439 plus VAT. Tailgates have to be ordered from Germany. The wiring in the tailgate is very fragile with lots of connectors, and the car requires a full integrity check after fitting. Having seen the mess that glass installers made of an i3 windscreen change, I think that I would prefer to leave a tailgate exchange to a BMW service Centre.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts