Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article in Autocar to say price of i3 being raised by £3995 and just checked on the BMW website and the standard i3 now starts "from" £39,690.
I am amazed as the i3 was already a pricey car, especially in comparison to the latest EVs and the EVs soon to be released, so it is a one way ticket to diminish sales, unless they do really huge discounts, and they seemed to be doing big discounts this past year. Or will it all be about the monthly payments..
It is still a unique EV due to its construction and remains quite light weight compared to a typical small EV but I would certainly not consider replacing mine with a new one at this price. Too many other decent EVs which go further, better equipped, more practical and are cheaper to boot.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
126 Posts
Agreed. You need the remainder of the manufacturer warranty too. There's deals to be had on a year old i3 120Ah with upgraded navigation, LED headlights, and leather interior for under £25k.

There's a 70 plate i3S at Synter BMW with leather, LED, sunroof. Nice colour - and so it should be for £34k. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
That’s crazy. I asked about extending my lease (~£250/month) by 1 or 2 years and they came back with an increased payment of £298 or an offer to sell it to me for £22,900. Now wondering if I should buy it out...(it’s coming up to 2 years old and has done 7500 miles)

·
Registered
628 Posts
BMW = odd.

They really are something else, iX3 delayed, and to be fair looks pretty pants being another compliance shoehorned ICE, nothing else coming until well into 2022. It's basically a 8 year old car, and they are putting the price up, madness. I am sure there are enough badge lovers around who'll still say it is the best option though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I saw the price increase I was hoping that they had managed to squeeze a 50 or 60kWh battery in there but no such luck. Still only a 40-42 kWh battery. It is a beautifully finished car cabin wise but they have priced it out of the market now.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
List price is irrelevant for BMW. They always have stupid-cheap finance offers on. My cancelled 840i (a £74k list price) was £4000 + £400pcm for 2 years, with a magically-reduced invoice value of £46k...

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I've seen it claimed that the problem is import tariffs.

The batteries are made in China and the carbon fibre is made in the US which means there's not enough EU content for the car to meet the rules-of-origin. I think that sounds plausible though as the UK supposedly isn't enforcing imports yet it may be BMW jumping the gun or it could simply be that tariffs must to be enforced from April and a car ordered today won't be delivered in time to avoid them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Don't think BMW has any chance competing on price with the current crop of ICE derived EV's built on generic platforms. It'll just become more of a niche product until they phase it out in 2024.
There is an absolute glut of them on the second hand market though - probably twice as many for sale now as 12 months ago. But people are going to have to be brave taking on older i3's that are well out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
Hi, as someone who is looking to be 'brave' in the near future... could you enlighten me as to why? I don't just want to be naiive

Phil
I think the i3 has gained a reputation on here of being somewhat expensive to repair, a few people have posted about how they’ve received eye watering bills to fix well known issues.

I don’t know how typical that is, or whether it’s more Rex related so the BEV version is less of a risk.

Like all EVs there are some complex power electronics, I think there was a recall for one of the major components. I only owned mine for 18 months or so, an early 60Ah Rex, and had no issues but it might be different now.

·
Registered
BMW i3
485 Posts
Hi, as someone who is looking to be 'brave' in the near future... could you enlighten me as to why? I don't just want to be naiive

Phil
Early ones (especially REx) were a bit flaky - I concluded that I wanted a 2015 onwards BEV (BEV also 120kg lighter).

Look for info on here, there is also a very popular UK i3 FB group with a large collection of documents (“The Knowledge”). Their advice is also to get one with a years decent warranty (pref AUC) if possible.

This is the thread that scared me most!

·
Registered
151 Posts
One issue is that for the early cars you really want the REX to get an acceptable range. But the REX gives the most problems.
Personally I’d try and stretch to an early 120ah BEV with a decent warranty.
On any pure electric car there is less to go wrong than on a hybrid like the REX. But when it does you are up against expensive BMW parts prices and labour rates. And if you want the 8 year battery warranty to be worth anything then you pretty much have to maintain some kind of relationship with BMW through those 8 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is the thread that scared me most!
yes - that is a scary thread - the EME module is a worry. Why would they bury such a part so deep? Having said that, disassembling a car is what garages do all the time. I guess when EV's are common, these jobs will be everyday and therefore garages of all sorts will be set up to do them quickly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
But the REX gives the most problems.
I'm a biker, and I really cant fathom why a hyper reliable scooter engine should be difficult to maintain. I suspect the problems are due to owners never using the engine (and the 8 week automatic Rex maintenance cycle not working out somehow). If I end up buying one of these I'll definitely be running the Rex fairly frequently using the emission test mode (or on a longer journey) for my own peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
8,399 Posts
I'm a biker, and I really cant fathom why a hyper reliable scooter engine should be difficult to maintain. I suspect the problems are due to owners never using the engine (and the 8 week automatic Rex maintenance cycle not working out somehow). If I end up buying one of these I'll definitely be running the Rex fairly frequently using the emission test mode (or on a longer journey) for my own peace of mind.
Yes, there’s probably something in that, it’s a reliable motorbike engine in a motorbike, but seems to suffer when asked to do what the i3 asks of it.

I covered about 40k in mine, the Rex ended up being used just about every trip, so I think they do benefit from being used.

That said, for me and my use, it made it more of a hybrid than a BEV which is why I went to a Golf GTE for 4 years.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Interesting I have just specified my 2019 i3s in the configuration tool on the website. The list comes in slightly less than the original list. ( This is a Christmas Tree car everything on it) Have some options been bundled or priced differently? So there is a base model increase but with options it costs less? ( not by much however )

·
Registered
KIA e-Niro 4+ MY 2022 Runway Red & 5yr service plan
76 Posts
I was told yesterday by my BMW dealership that BMW have reversed their decision to increase the price of the i3.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts