Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am getting my first MOT on my i3. There are very few garages out there that will service and MOT electric cars. If l take it to BMW will they fleece me?

·
Registered
315 Posts
The maximum fee is £54.85 - they are not allowed to charge you more than that.

What they probably will do is try and find other work to do at the same time but you can always decline that. The best MOT places are those with no affiliated workshop because they have absolutely no incentive to 'find' work to do.

I have to say, I thought any MOT station could do EVs. There's nothing EV specific on the MOT.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
They will normally inspect your i3 and provide a verbal/written report outlining whether any work is needed. If the i3 is still under warranty, any work will be carried out FOC.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,669 Posts
There are council owned and run MOT sites around the country that have no interest in finding extra work to do on cars and will MOT any car.
They aren't going to find any extra work, but they are VERY strict and thorough in my experience in their inspections so you might fail on something where another garage would just give you an advisory. They also tend to charge a bit more for the MOT Itself. My local council charged me £50.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing that they are thorough. I personally appreciate that for the sake of safety. But I know some people would probably get upset hearing that they failed when they may have just scraped a pass elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Any garage that offers mot services is obliged to mot your car if they have the capacity, they cannot refuse to mot it just because it is electric.

Whether they'll find work to do, well that depends on how quiet their workshop is (if they have one).

·
Registered
502 Posts
My local mechanic/tyre fitter and MOT test centre were laughing when they inspected under my i3 when I changed the tyres after 28,000 miles.
They said as so much of the car is covered and sealed in there would be not much they could inspect apart from the lights,wheels,suspension etc.
ie- an easy & quick MOT job.
I have stuck with BMW as car under warranty and now extended warranty. However they do charge the maximum £54.85 and my tyre fitter only £40! My other ICE cars (eg- my VW UP presently on winter tyres and in use today in South Wales!) I therefore take to the tyre fitter place for their MOTs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Well there is no emission test on an EV so in theory it should be cheaper than an ICE. Also, the i3 has only 20 moving parts (I believe) so an inspection should be simpler.

·
Registered
2015 BMW i3 REx 60ah, Solar Orange
81 Posts
Covered already, that MOT centre can test any electric car. What I would say about a main BMW dealer is they will do a health check free of charge too. They invariably find something which is ironic when the car could have been with them previously for repair or warranty work and yet they didn't identify the fault before.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'm getting worried now!!
I bought the car through Stratstone Chesterfield and although on that experience I won't recommend them, they rang me the other day to say the first MOT was due on 5th May, and would I like to book it in, price £19.
Reading the experiences above either I've mis-heard, mis-remembered, or booked early for Christmas :)
I was offered a loaner, or to stay masked in the showroom for 2 hours.
I decided to take a book and stay in the showroom, date May 1st.

It's about five years since I last put a car through MOT so I had no idea, till I read this thread, what the standard price is.

Wait and see.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I have put a number of BMWs through dealer MOTs in the past 20 years, and I have not had any issues with suggestions of unnecessary work following a vehicle inspection. That said, I was incorrectly given the report on a 12 year old Beemer which on first reading suggested that it would be best to scrap it - I then noticed the incorrect registration number.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Well I have just booked mine, together with its 2nd service at the 4 year mark, but now I have just seen your price, I will be making a comment to them. It is an EV and requires less work, so they should really not be charging the absolute maximum fee. And it had a warranty repair 4 weeks ago (suspension mounts replaced. See other thread on here), and they did the vehicle inspection as part of that and told me, it was otherwise in excellent shape and well looked after. WIll be interesting to see if or what extra they will try and say needs doing. They did mention an optional 'Air con re-gas" at £160 but declined then. Car has only done 400 miles since then.

·
Registered
618 Posts
At our i3’s first MoT it also had the free BMW inspection they MoT’ed it for free as well.......I must just have a nice smile.

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,652 Posts
Did you have a service package, I did, and it covered the first MOT?

So the charge was £o for service after two years and MOT @ three year, well worth the cost of the package.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Did you have a service package, I did, and it covered the first MOT?

So the charge was £o for service after two years and MOT @ three year, well worth the cost of the package.
Actually yes, I did......well it came as part of the new car deal, bloody ought to as now I am paying £800 a year for the extended BMW warranty :D

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Actually yes, I did......well it came as part of the new car deal, bloody ought to as now I am paying £800 a year for the extended BMW warranty :D
I'd take my chances and keep the 800/year.... Crazy money.

Reactions: peterboat
1 - 20 of 39 Posts