Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick experiment to check out the kWh use for a standard pre-condition (30 mins?) at 1C ambient gives 2.9kWh!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,129 Posts
A quick experiment to check out the kWh use for a standard pre-condition (30 mins?) at 1C ambient gives 2.9kWh!
Presumably, not preheating only saves that 2.9kWh if you then don't heat the cabin to the same extent when you set off driving.

This is where some cars are a bit sneaky with consumption displays, I think, because if you preheat, the consumption displayed will be better than if you make exactly the same journey and don't preheat but do then still heat the cabin when you set off. In reality, the same (or similar) amount of energy has been consumed by the car for the purposes of making both journeys.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is where some cars are a bit sneaky with consumption displays, I think, because if you preheat, the consumption displayed will be better
Yes, not unexpected, but I have my recorded KWh used at source to be way different to what the car states as a result of preheating. However, I expect this should be the most efficient way to heat the cabin as you shouldn't be dealing with the losses in converting AC to DC and back again to heat from the battery once underway.

Your useage seems comparable to mine for a 30 minute pre-heat. I set pre-heat to 24°c then in car to maintain at 22°c in the current climate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts