Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every so often, I let my i3 battery run down so I can use up the gas in the range extender tank and refill it. I do this because I've heard from various sources that gasoline goes bad with time. However, when I let the battery run down I get a message on the dash saying that not keeping the battery charged can damage it.

But I can’t use up the gas (so that it doesn’t go bad) without letting the battery run down. So does running the battery down long enough to use up the gas indeed cause damage to the battery?

·
Leaf lover
4,390 Posts
I have 94Ah rex i3 and am able to run the range extender to maintain the battery level as long as I have depleted the battery below 75%.
The idea is so you can reserve the battery for when you feel it is the correct thing to be running zero emissions, ie being inside the London congestion zone.
Check out the manual on how to do it.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I have 94Ah rex i3 and am able to run the range extender to maintain the battery level as long as I have depleted the battery below 75%.
The idea is so you can reserve the battery for when you feel it is the correct thing to be running zero emissions, ie being inside the London congestion zone.
Check out the manual on how to do it.
US models have different software settings to UK ones.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Every so often, I let my i3 battery run down so I can use up the gas in the range extender tank and refill it. I do this because I've heard from various sources that gasoline goes bad with time. However, when I let the battery run down I get a message on the dash saying that not keeping the battery charged can damage it.

But I can’t use up the gas (so that it doesn’t go bad) without letting the battery run down. So does running the battery down long enough to use up the gas indeed cause damage to the battery?
Best bet is to HACK the software so you can start the generator at a higher state of charge.

Or use petrol stabiliser additive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So sounds like the stabilizer is the best bet. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not about to try and hack the software. :oops:

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
So sounds like the stabilizer is the best bet. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm not about to try and hack the software. :oops:
Nah the stabiliser is rubbish, you could get a hand syphon and empty the tank once a while if you think its bad? Use it for a mower instead then refill your tank.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Petrol does go bad if left in a tank that vents to the atmosphere i.e. unpressurised. In extreme cases you could be left with just a residual gum (e.g. unused lawn mower) that will clog the carb. That's why with a lawn mower you turn the petrol tap off and let the engine stop by running out of fuel so the carb is dry before storing for the winter. Typically the gum will block a jet and or cause a float needle to stick in the carb. It is better to drain the tank rather than run it dry throu the engine as you will put the muck at the bottom of the tank through the carb and potentially block it that way.

BMW allowed for the petrol sitting unused in the i3 petrol tank for long periods and so the tank is pressurised. You need to allow a few moments for the tank to vent between pulling the switch to access the filler and unscrewing the filler cap. Veri important not to overfill the i3 tank or run it dry. In fact the REx engine will not run at all if the petrol level is low as part of its protection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Petrol does go bad if left in a tank that vents to the atmosphere i.e. unpressurised. In extreme cases you could be left with just a residual gum (e.g. unused lawn mower) that will clog the carb. That's why with a lawn mower you turn the petrol tap off and let the engine stop by running out of fuel so the carb is dry before storing for the winter. Typically the gum will block a jet and or cause a float needle to stick in the carb. It is better to drain the tank rather than run it dry throu the engine as you will put the muck at the bottom of the tank through the carb and potentially block it that way.

BMW allowed for the petrol sitting unused in the i3 petrol tank for long periods and so the tank is pressurised. You need to allow a few moments for the tank to vent between pulling the switch to access the filler and unscrewing the filler cap. Veri important not to overfill the i3 tank or run it dry. In fact the REx engine will not run at all if the petrol level is low as part of its protection.
Exactly what I was told by BMW as well. Tank is pressurised to keep the fuel good for longer as they know you won’t use It much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts