Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I am considering getting the BMW i3 125kw as a company car. I had a test drive in the S version and I was very impressed. One question I have is regarding the real world range. BMW say 160 miles but I have heard that it can drop significantly lower than that if raining and the wipers and heaters are going. Can the owners of this let me know how they find the range and if 160 is accurate or should I expect less range than that.

Thanks

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,083 Posts
Yep. There are tons of threads already if you look back where people have given some good advice.

The i3 Doesn't have a heat pump as standard iirc, so if you don't have it on your car and you use the heater, especially trying to make the car hot, and not just comfortable or keeping the windows clear you will zap a pretty significant amount of range.

The wipers take a minimal amount of power, as do the headlights and any other 12v accessories like your radio for example. It's not using them that really makes the difference, but rather the fact that you're using them because of the bad weather. Cold temperatures, rain, snow and wind will all have an impact on your range, as does your driving style.

It's impossible to say exactly what range you'll get. But if I take an i3 down the motorway with the basic heater set to 28°C, and the bad weather we've had recently that you'll really struggle to get more than half of the quoted 160 miles if you're doing it at 70 or so. But if you're using the car in the summer, using eco mode and have a lower average speed you could possibly break past 200 miles per charge.

What sort of usage are you looking at with this car?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I normally reckon between 140 to 180 miles BUT motorways at high speed and cold weather really kill the range and if you are very heavy footed I can imagine the range dropping to 100 - 120 miles in adverse conditions. It is really important to limit top speed on the motorway and use Eco Pro setting.

By the way, I find that the i3 interior warms up quickly and is well insulated. I set the temperature to 20 deg. C at all times and it works for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To get a long way in chilly weather...... wear a coat, seat heaters on, demist windows only as and when needed, stay below 60.

You’ll probably get the £160 miles in summer but not this week.

·
Registered
112 Posts
By the way, I find that the i3 interior warms up quickly and is well insulated. I set the temperature to 20 deg. C at all times and it works for me
I second this recommendation. In most conditions, 19C or 20C is comfortable (no need for a coat!). If you pre-condition the car before setting out the range improves significantly and the cabin remains comfy.

I've been driving an i3S for two years and the only things which REALLY impact range for me are the outside temperature -- you lose about 20 miles of range if it is 3C rather than 20C -- and the motorway speed. Hard driving above 70 mph sees the range decrease noticeably. Drop down to 60ish (not hard on the M25, where you are compelled to do this most of the time!) and the problem goes away.

But then, I live in the south east where conditions are more moderate. If I lived in Scotland in winter i might think heating was more of an issue, winter tyres a necessity, and so on.

Great car BTW. If it fits your usage profile there are many, many positives. I could not imagine going back to an ICE car for any future purchases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts