Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a BMW I3 Jan 2018 model (94ah Rex) and I just received my company car tax statment for 2020. It has me in the 8% tax BIK bracket which covers CO2 1-50g and electric range 40-69 miles. Whereas I am sure the range is a lot more than 70 as I always get between 100 (winter) and 150 (summer) on pure electric. My question is, does anyone know where the govt gets the electric range figures from as there are so many different measures that I am not sure which they go with.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
1,854 Posts
You're probably in that bracket due to the CO2 from the Rex motor, even if you never use it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that the CO2 bit is due to rex but the electric range bit is totally wrong as there is 70-129mile option of 5% BIK which seems more accurate and there is also a 0% for more than 130 mile range so I could even argue that.
I found this on the govt website :

"For cars first registered before 6 April 2020 you should continue to use the New European Driving Cycle emissions figure to find the appropriate percentage.
For hybrid cars with a CO2 of 1-50g/km registered:
  • before 6 April 2020 New European Driving Cycle, use the ‘electric range’ within section 49.2 on the certificate of conformity "
So I have no idea where to find this 'certifcate of conformity' but for NEDC then the figures on bmw press release state 300km which puts me in the 0% BIK range

I am trying to call hmrc but no luck so far

·
Registered
387 Posts
I get that the CO2 bit is due to rex but the electric range bit is totally wrong as there is 70-129mile option of 5% BIK which seems more accurate and there is also a 0% for more than 130 mile range so I could even argue that.
I found this on the govt website :

"For cars first registered before 6 April 2020 you should continue to use the New European Driving Cycle emissions figure to find the appropriate percentage.
For hybrid cars with a CO2 of 1-50g/km registered:
  • before 6 April 2020 New European Driving Cycle, use the ‘electric range’ within section 49.2 on the certificate of conformity "
So I have no idea where to find this 'certifcate of conformity' but for NEDC then the figures on bmw press release state 300km which puts me in the 0% BIK range

I am trying to call hmrc but no luck so far
I should just park your issue for now and wait until things have quietened down to sort out your problem. I am sure that a lot of HMRC staff will have been redeployed in other areas of the Civil Service where priority is being given to those in need.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am happy to fix later but was trying to see if i could get to how the calculations are done..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure how it works in the UK, but in the Netherlands any car that has a form of ICE next to electric propulsion is considered a hybrid and falls into the respective tax bracket. One can drive all electric all the time, the fact that it has an ICE makes it a hybrid.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have exactly the same issue. My 94Ah REX is now being taxed at 8%. I've raised this with my employer as I think it's them who pass the info to HMRC.
2020-21 BIK is based on CO2 AND pure electric range.
I've gone into the HMRC PAYE portal and there's no option to change it.

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. I couldn't get it to work and ended up calling.

They don't seem to be able to sort the company car tax out correctly.
I filled in a P46 for change of car on line and had a letter a week later saying I needed to go online and fill in a P46 as I hadn't given them all the information needed.
I have a pdf copy on my computer that shows they had the info they are asking for, and the online form needs every box filled in before it can be sent off.
Another phone call needed to sort that out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
quick update to say i finally got through to hmrc and they confirmed the i3 rex details as per my car but the bik kept showing at 8% instead of my calculations which made it 2% due to the NEDC electric range of 146 miles. After failing to figure it out the helpful agent manually changed it to 2%. Seems they just trusted my calculations and maybe i should have said 0% :) It should now work its way through the syste and hopefully i will get a payroll refund and soon a correct BIK code.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I have generally always been able to do it online, although have called once to get this changed. They are safe in doing it and taking your word for it, because at some point down the line it will be seen and then they will recover it... that would be my take on why they are happy enough to do this.

You employer should be getting this right on the P11D anyway, however there are enough hurdles in sorting these out without involving payroll errors on top. Over the last few years or so, I have been subscribed to a company share save scheme, unsubscribed from my pension and also paid my annual bonus twice, all erroneously. I would not be at all confident of my employer sorting this out based on the current legislation and experience from my end.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agree that trying to get payroll to sort anything pout in a large corporate is a nightmare and likley to make things worse.. I only have the car till end of the year but keen to take advantage of the 2% bik rate and feel I am on silid ground should this raise its head again...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts