Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I'm having a nightmare with my 2016 BMW i3 Rex. I've already had the REx fail on me once and fully replaced (split crank shaft) and now I'm getting the dreaded drivetrain error again, so can currently only drive on electric only.

There's a very loud rattling fan sounding noise from the back rear whenever the range extender tries to start and then it takes a few seconds to stop after the drivetrain error kicks in.

Anyone got any ideas what part this might be that's causing the error? Sounds like it's right rear tyre of the car, but can only test while driving with the window down!

Thanks

Sam

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Sam, it sounds as though you are waiting for BMW to commence another warranty repair???????

In the meantime, to stop the Rex engine from trying to start, can't you pull a fuse somewhere. Have you got access to a workshop manual of some description?

·
EGGY
952 Posts
I think you need to jump on this quickly as this could become a very expensive car. I'm presuming the car was bought from a BMW main dealer, is that the case ? If so what warranty does it have ? I would be looking at the warranty situation very thoroughly, documenting all issues and interactions with the dealer and talking to BMW UK directly. There are people on here (a quick search will find them) with experience of i3 issues and dealing with BMW who are better placed than myself to talk to this subject, but if there is one thing to be learned from this forum on the i3 is that when it goes wrong it is very very expensive to rectify.

All the best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts