Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I had a look round there was no one producing any kind of roof bars or roof rack for luggage or bike transport. Any progress been made?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roof bars on my leaf have carried 4 bikes, various ikea flat packs, sounds like you don't have any such options on an i3

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
2,580 Posts
To add to the knowledge, as I'm looking for something to carry mini marquee tent poles...

This is their stand up paddle / surf board rack. Fully loaded!

SeaSucker | Vacuum Mounting Systems

Though £65 for the inflatable one the earlier link looks good.

·
2,580 Posts
Did anyone try the handi rack on an i3 yet? I've got a family camping trip coming up and theretically i can stick the tent and gas in the boot and the rest in my 250 litre roof box on top of one of these. If it works i can sell my X trail a few months early.

I'll need to sort a rear mounted bike rack too as I've currently got a Thule tow bar mounted system. Best of all would be a tow hitch for the i3 and a small trailer with bikes on top. ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've a handirack I've used several times in the past.

Comments - It's great if you don't have bars, I used to carry windsurfing kit on it.
Negatives - If fitted through roof rails - you get a whistling at speeds over about 40 mph, and if fitted through the door frame you end up with a strap in the way of your head - which is annoying, but not the end of the world.

No longer using it - happy to sell - make me an offer and it's probably yours, just sitting gathering dust these days!!

·
2,580 Posts
I'm going to check where the roof box would sit on the i3 using towels and ratchet straps and see if it will work.

·
2,580 Posts
Just had a look where the roof structural members are, and done a trial run.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

Run the ratchet straps thru the car where they'd come on and they aren't too obtrusive in the i3. The front strap is next to the sun visor, and not in line of sight, the rear is up high away from the passenger faces.

Even with towels theres enough clearance so the box isn't sitting on the car.

All i need to consider now is how to mount the box to the straps. I think those straps might come in handy. Won't have much weight as it's only roll mats, sleeping bags and clothes.

Reactions: Tim Ostler

·
2,580 Posts
Ps.. the i3 is bigger than it looks. Also checked the big stuff will fit... 7 man frame tent and gas bottle in the boot with room for more. Cool box in the youngest's footwell. Room for a spare gas cylinder (which I'll leave behind). Leave the shopping till we get there.

Looks like i need to start looking into charging spots between the Midlands and Coombe Martin :) Thankfully we have an electric pitch when we get there ;)

Bag Baggage Luggage and bags Hiking equipment Tent
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Car seat cover Car seat

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hehe.

Looks like fun. This is something I wouldn't consider using the Zoe for - hence the reason why I still have my merc e class.

Good luck and do post a pic of the car with the roofbox properly mounted on the handirack!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ps - I would put something soft between the handirack and the car - I seem to recall it leaving marks on the roof of my Mitsubishi charisma when I didn't!

·
2,580 Posts
Next question - anyone tried the Halfords rack on an i3?

Been having a look around and the only thing worrying me is the straps that will go at the top might pull on the spoiler lip, and the metal hooks at the the bottom would be pulling on the glass. Except, in the comments one user posted you aren't supposed to clip it to the bottom of the tailgate, but the bottom of the car, which means you'd not be able to open the hatchback!??

I'll be looking to see if the straps can loop up inside the car somewhere - and maybe attach to something on the inside. Failing that plan B might be to secure them to the D rings designed for Isofix tethers, leave them loose over the boot lip whilst packing the car, and then pull then tight and onto the frame once the boot is packed and closed. The photos blow up quite well on Halfords site and you can see there's plenty of length on the bottom straps.

Shame there's no tow bar for the i3 - I currently have a nice Thule towbar rack.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts