Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifications from BMW i technical data, correct as of July 2013, please let me know of any errors/omissions and I can verify and update.

BMW i3 & i3 REx body:
  • Doors: 5
  • Seats: 4
  • Length / width / height (mm): 3999 / 1775 / 1578 (1597 with roof fin)
  • Wheelbase (mm): 2570
  • Turning circle (m): 9.86
  • Ground clearance (mm): 140
  • Luggage comp. volume (m3): 0.269 - 1.100
BMW i3 only body:
  • Unladen weight DIN/EU (kg): 1195 / 1270
  • Max weight / load (kg): 1620 / 425
  • Air resistance (Cd/A/Cd x A): 0.29 / 2.38 / 0.69
BMW i3 REx only body:
  • Unladen weight DIN/EU (kg): 1315 / 1390
  • Max weight / load (kg): 1730 / 415
  • Air resistance (Cd/A/Cd x A): 0.30 / 2.38 / 0.71
BMW i3 & i3 REx electric drive system:
  • Motor: BMW eDrive - Hybrid synchronous motor with integrated power electronics, charger and generator mode for recuperation
  • Output (kW / hp): 125 / 170
  • Torque (Nm): 250
  • Recuperation (kW): up to 50
  • Battery voltage (V): 360
  • Battery gross capacity (kWh): 22
  • Storage technology: Lithium-ion
BMW i3 REx combustion engine:
  • Torque (Nm): 55
  • Configuration: Inline 2 cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder
  • Capacity (cm3): 647
  • Stroke / bore (mm / mm): 66 / 79
  • Output @ rpm (kW (hp) / rpm): 25 (34) / 4300
  • Torque @ rpm (Nm / rpm): 55 / 4300
  • Compression ratio / poss fuel / rec fuel: 10.6 / RON 87 - 98 / RON 95
  • Exhaust standard / fuel: EU6 / RON 95
Drivetrain and transmission:
  • Transmission type: Single speed automatic with fixed ratio
  • Drive: Rear wheel drive
  • Front suspension: Aluminium single-joint MacPherson spring strut with anti-dive
  • Rear suspension: Five-link axle directly mounted to the Drive module
  • Tyres front & rear: 155/70 R19
  • Wheels front & rear: 5J x 19 light-alloy
BMW i3 performance:
  • Power-to-weight ratio (DIN kg/kW): 9.6
  • Acceleration (s):
    • 0 - 100 km/h: 7.2
    • 0 - 60 km/h: 3.7
    • 80 - 120 km/h: 4.9
  • Top speed (km/h): 150
BMW i3 REx performance:
  • Power-to-weight ratio (DIN kg/kW): 10.5
  • Acceleration (s):
    • 0 - 100 km/h: 7.9
    • 0 - 60 km/h: 3.9
    • 80 - 120 km/h: 5.5
  • Top speed (km/h): 150
BMW i3 range:
  • Everyday driving:
    • Comfort mode (km / miles): 130 - 160 / 80 - 99
    • Most efficient driving (km / miles): up to 200 / up to 124
  • EU cycle:
    • Comfort mode (km / miles): 190 / 118
BMW i3 REx range:
  • Everyday driving:
    • Comfort mode (km / miles): 240 - 300 / 149 - 186
    • Most efficient driving (km / miles): up to 340 / up to 211
  • EU cycle:
    • Comfort mode (km / miles): 170 / 106
Charging times:
  • 80% charge: From < 30 min at 50kW rapid charge to circa 8 hours at domestic socket
BMW i3 EU cycle consumption:
  • Power (kWh / 100 km): 12.9
BMW i3 REx EU cycle consumption:
  • Power (kWh / 100 km): 13.5
  • Fuel / CO2* (ltr / 100 km / g): 0.6 / 13
Specifications apply to ACEA markets; data relevant to homologation applicable in part only to Germany (weight)
* Based on EU cycle calculation regulation for vehicles with range extender; also applies if the range extender is not used in the test cycle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Daft question but does anyone know if the BMW i3 can recharge from Ecotricity rapid chargers with the Zoe connector at 43kW?

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
No, the i3 can only charge at 7kW using Type 2 AC. To go faster you need a CCS DC charger and an i3 with the CCS option.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
if you dont spec CCS on an i3 at purchase can it be enabled later, ie is it a software upgrade or do they not put the connector in as standard

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
does seem a little short sighted of BMW to support CCS and push for it to be mandated then not put it on very car

·
Registered
33 Posts
The i3 can charge using the 43Kw A/C connector at ecotrictiy posts. But the car will only use 7Kw so it is not rapid charge. It is no different to using a 32Amp outlet at home.

·
Registered
621 Posts
The CCS option has to be taken at purchase, the non CCS versions only have a type 2 socket on the car. Perhaps it is possible to retrofit but i expect it would be far more expensive.
From my experience of having an i3 REX for a week's extended test drive, the electric mileage was around 70-80 miles and total range around 160 - 170.
All my videos can be seen on ELMS Cambridge facebook page, I might try and upload them in another thread...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Had an other thought, all the cut away pictures of the non Rex i3 show a gapping hole next to the ELEC motor, the space where the Rex engine and Gubbins goes. Why didn't BMW fill this space with batteries? The added weight would surely have been no more than the engine and the extra cost no more than the Rex? I don't know how much extra range this would of yielded though? Just a thought I had yesterday. Probably a very good reason for it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I wouldn't have thought they can just add batteries in adhoc locations just because there is a bit of space!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just seems a little wasteful to me. A bespoke add on pack for non rex cars can't be beyond the realms of possibility surely?

·
Super Moderator
7,464 Posts
It depends on the architecture. We see from the Model S that the 85kwh car has more modules in series than the 60kwh car, which gives a different voltage. This is fine because the Model S was designed to work at these different voltages. The i3 is probably not. An alternative is to add a completely stand alone pack, with it's own BMS, and connect it in parallel. Unless it's the same configuration as the main pack it will either have less cells in series (so a lower voltage) and won't work, or it has less cells in parallel (so a lower capacity) and will therefore not neccesarily be able to handle the level of current heading out to power the motor or coming in from a DC charger.

I don't actually know much about the i3 battery cells, an auxiliary parallel pack may actually have been ok, but it would also have been massively expensive, I would guess something like £3,500 for an extra 6kwh. Make that a usable 5.4kwh, and with a generous 4m/kwh you get 21.6 miles, or £162 per mile.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Back to specs ;) and it appears the batteries are of much higher spec in the Soul EV than the i3 2013/14 model. Will there be a model revision to catch up this year?

"..The Soul EV gets an impressive 80-100 miles of real-world range when the 27kWh, 360v, 192-cell lithium-ion polymer battery is fully charged, and the regenerative braking system captures up to 12 percent of the Soul EV's kinetic energy when coasting and braking to also help recharge the battery..."

·
Registered
367 Posts
I
Back to specs ;) and it appears the batteries are of much higher spec in the Soul EV than the i3 2013/14 model. Will there be a model revision to catch up this year?

"..The Soul EV gets an impressive 80-100 miles of real-world range ..."

I feel a pantomine moment coming on "oh no it doesn't"!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, so I'll pop it here.

My Chandlers BMW chap informed me today is that the heated seats (and associated HVAC bits) have become standard, and the price has risen by the £300 cost. Not unhappy about this. Wished I'd have specced it.

Now I have just typed that, I feel I have already said this somewhere in another thread. Hmm...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, so I'll pop it here.

My Chandlers BMW chap informed me today is that the heated seats (and associated HVAC bits) have become standard, and the price has risen by the £300 cost. Not unhappy about this. Wished I'd have specced it.

Now I have just typed that, I feel I have already said this somewhere in another thread. Hmm...

yep @Mark J Constable mentioned here https://speakev.com/threads/departure-time.5632/#post-74124 by me :):cool:

The dealer I spoke with said exactly the same as what you said. In hindsight I should of gone for the heat pump or though in hindsight I should of gone for the REX! o_O

Reactions: Mark J Constable
1 - 20 of 42 Posts